MSNZ Classic and Historic Tyre Regulation changes

Recently the MSNZ Historic and Classic commission implemented new tyre rule changes for Classic and Historic T&C Group 1 and 2 vehicles. Although this doesn’t effect HMC as we have implemented our own tyre regulations (which T&C is now alighted to) I do see this is a positive move in the right direction and I’d like to thank Raymond (Crunch) Bennett the H&C chairman, and the rest of the H&C commission for bringing these tyre rules in line with proper Historic/Classic racing, as used in period here in NZ and overseas. With the ever changing DOT tyres made by the various manufactures that seem to come and go in motorsport it had gotten ridiculous, to the point that a road legal radial slick tyre with two grooves, never intended for Classic and Historic racing, was considered acceptable so well done guys. For some event organisers these changes may mean nothing but let’s hope they gasp the concept and get classic and historic racing back to where it should be, well at least the tyres anyway.

Goodyear Blue Streak Bias Ply Treaded Tyres as used by Fahey, Moffat, in period here in New Zealand and Hoosier HOTD Bias Ply Treaded Tyres as used by HMC today.

A link to the regulations below, go to 3.13 Tyres to review these changes http://www.motorsport.org.nz/sites/d...%20T%26C_0.pdf

NZ Festival of Motor Racing, Hampton Downs, January 2015

We (HMC) now have a class sponsor for the NZ Festival of Motor Racing in January. I’d like to welcome on-board “Classic Driver Magazine” for this two weekend historic meeting. Our group will now, for this event, be known as the Classic Driver Historic Muscle Cars. That has a good ring to it doesn’t it? Each vehicle will be required to fit a Classic Driver Magazine supplied sticker on each side of their car - not a big ask I think. Thanks goes to magazine owner Bruce Mountain for backing us, im sure we’ll give him good value.

Once again we’ll have our NZ motorsport legends, Dennis Marwood, Paul Fahey, Kerry Grant, Leo Leonard, Ray Stone along for the festival but we need them all, we gotta round these guys up to honour them for their motorsport achievements so if anyone knows the where abouts of these guys please contact me or Steve Elliott VMT@xtra.co.nz . Also any other notable racing legends from our great era of the 60’s and early 70’s, the years are ticking on for all these fellas so we gotta do it now.

Entries for this event are now open online, so please enter now http://www.motorsportentry.com/ this helps the event and class organisers sort out the groups. Make sure you tick the “Marquee” box as whether rain or shine you will need it, certainly a bargain and also keeps our group together.

It’s looking very likely we’ll have a full grid of 30 cars so all races will be rolling start, those that raced in Australia last year enjoyed this style and found it easier on the car, we’ll talk more about this at drivers briefing. Speaking of drivers briefing, all must be in attendance and a roll call will be taken. Qualifying will set the first morning scratch race starting grid positions, the afternoon race will be reverse top 10 and the winner of every race will start from the very rear in the next. Remember this is display racing so we must put on a show for the paying public, but don’t worry it will still be competitive and exciting.

For those interested see our event schedule below for a pre Festival twilight practice session on Dec 18th.