Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
I just heard back from a USA contact, he said that the front radiator support panel bracket that mounted the radiator support panel to the chassis was most likely cut and raised up, lowering the radiator support panel to make the fenders and nose sit a bit lower, that way he said there was no cutting of the front fenders that I had planned, though you would still have a gap at the rear of the front fender were it meets the cowl panel and door which explains your picture Steve. Looking at my 68 I could easily do this but would still like some evidence that at least one Camaro raced in NZ like this?

Spinner32...…...sounds interested but i'd like to see any evidence of this, what was this Camaros history after spinner Black sold it?

Ken H, thanks for the pics but it doesn't look lower in them, as Steve says it was usually the factory that done this Ex-USA. All interesting info.

Dale M
Dale, I'm sorry I don't know the full story. The Camaro went south to Dunedin from Rod, and and John Osborne purchased it around 1978. John told me that it had been used as the prototype for PDL2, and there are photos around of the car without the front panels fitted, and it certainly had a substantial roll cage at that time. John once demonstrated to me how stiff the car was by lowering one of the axle stands the car was on at that time slightly, and showed me how it rocked corner to corner instead of flexing.
After the Camaro returned to the track, I was talking to John about how it was good to see the car on the track again, and being gruff John, said to the effect "Yeh, but they took the lowered front panels off and fitted standard ones" . I didn't know what he meant at the time, but your conversation now makes sense. Get some photos of the car (look up the OSCA webpage) and compare it to the current front and John's car is certainly a lot lower in the grill area.