Steve, as a rule of thum the springs should just barely hold the car of the ground and the shocks do the rest!!! but having enough knowledge on shock adjustment choice is the problem when your only a weekend warrior, so for most(including myself) its easier to uprate the springs for a instance performance gain rite out of the box!!and mostly it has been the Puke front straight bumps that have made most uprate the front springs. I always knew my front springs where too heavy as i have slight under steer(which i like) and lowering the front spring rate will change this and help turn in, also the many cornering pictures from Stew Wood have help me to see what my car is doing!! The quite large and soft side wall on the Blue Streak obsorbe's alot of energy so to take advantage of this i need the car to lean more on the corners, this is why i have always used a 50 profile tyre and have beenable to out handle others with a big 315/35X17, they have less side wall and so hence less rubber contact on the track under extreme corning(this applies to most vehicles with a roll centre above the wheel centre line, EG most Saloons) funnily enough i had worked out i need about 900LB down from 1200 and when i was at EC last month and got a closer look at Bowe's mustang with its wheels off, his front springs had 900 stamped on them!!

Also, with the infomation above there are just so many more variables that its too much to get into here!!

Dale Mathers