Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Dale, it'd be interesting to know if JB really does run 900lbs front springs, or if he just had 900 stamped on them for the benefit of his rivals when they take a nosey under his car to see why its performing so well! I was quite shocked the first time I saw the TCM cars race, and how softly they rode, and the bounce they had under brakes, after becoming accustomed to the CMC cars and their large diameter wheels and rock hard suspension. I wonder what the Historic Trans-Am guys run, and how near they are to what Donohue first used on his Penske Camaro.

Have you done anything with the rear springs Dale?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I wonder what the Historic Trans-Am guys run, and how near they are to what Donohue first used on his Penske Camaro.
    Hello Steve,

Here's something I've mentioned to Dale before, but since you asked about someone running these tyres in Historic Trans-Am (in the US), here it is again...

My front springs are Guldstrand (though they may be a re-packaged MOOG part). Guldstrand's part number was G11-001, and they were rated at 600lb spring (as delivered). From memory, I had to cut about 1.5" out of them for ride height, so it's probably a bit stiffer front spring now. I didn't verify the spring rate before or after cutting.

Here's a quote from a friend who bought a similar pair of front springs from Guldstrand in the 1970s:

"I think 650 to 700 is probably a good rate for the front. If you get a Moog #6041 is what Guldstrand sent me in the early 70's they were in the Moog box. I think I cut them to 13.5" free length, but my car was probably lower than you might want to run a road race Camaro."

In the rear I run a set of 200lb stock style multi-leaf springs with 1.5" lowering blocks.

For shocks, I run period Koni double adjustables, front and rear.

The above items are on a 1969 Camaro Z/28 Historic Trans-Am race car.

-Chad