Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    We have also allowed that Torana to run in the ERC Series, group, so we'd happily accept it again. There you are, two groups which makes it twice as valuable!

Journeyman Racer
    Thanks Ray.
    Yes another benefit in owning a little "Aussie Battler"!

I do like Leighton Smith's idea of setting up the Holden plant in Invercargill in 2015 when it closes down in Australia. It would be fantastic job creation - Mayor Tim would be ecstatic!

The engines back in the Corvette Dave with the Muncie rock crusher rebuilt as well. Kept it as a 454 ci to hopefully ease the strain on the standard diff, half shafts and gearbox. I'm still running the 5 transverse steel springs on the rear end, so it goes through millimetres of toe-out on droop and toe-in on squat, which makes for eventful handling! I would like to put it on 15" wheels with Hoosiers like Dale's class to keep it period correct, but the cost of the engine and gearbox has prevented that this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerT View Post
    I'm still running the 5 transverse steel springs on the rear end, so it goes through millimetres of toe-out on droop and toe-in on squat, which makes for eventful handling!
    It wouldn't get through LVVTA's requirements for a modified car then...

Would HMC accept open cars, if period correct?

Journeyman Racer
    [Would HMC accept open cars, if period correct?[/QUOTE]

Hi Ray. It was decided early on that sports cars would be difficult to mix in with the sedans. It is the difficulty of defining a muscle car as much as anything. Obviously a Corvette complies in most respects, especially big blocks, but Corvettes ran in sports car races, not with the sedans. Then you have the question, are Sunbeam Tigers, Jaguar E Type V12's and De Tomaso Pantera's muscle cars?
    In the end, after a lot of discussion, we decided to keep HMC as 'pure' as possible and avoid complications!

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    We have also allowed that Torana to run in the ERC Series, group, so we'd happily accept it again. There you are, two groups which makes it twice as valuable!
    Ray, have sent you a PM.
    Cheers Dave