Don't get too down Dale, no one said this was going to be easy although the instant grid numbers from the Aussies probably made it look too easy at the start.

Assuming there is an appetite for a grid of period correct cars from both spectators and competitors the concept will succeed especially given the backing and promotion your series has enjoyed, I for one am 100% behind the concept. Already out of this set back there have been some great suggestions and input here already and it is hard to fault Ray's logic and ideas.

In the short term I believe we need to:

1. Combine HMC and its own car specific rules with a wider Schedule K Saloon class, not limited to U 3 litre. There are quite a number of suitable cars already not to mention existing cars which are not being used because they feel there is nowhere to run.

2. Level the playing field with items such as tyres. The HMC guys started on period Goodyear Blue Streaks but the Aussies quickly showed that their Hoosiers were quicker so those who could afford to changed to those which has spread the field. Also currently with sched K cars there is some grey areas regarding tyres with some running race tyres. Indeed in my view the "Angus problem" occurred simply because with his race tyres his braking distance was so compressed that his closing speed into corners took everyone by surprise. Why not make a DOT rated (but not necessarily NZ road legal) tyre compulsory for all? There are several options available which meet this spec.

3. Introduce handicap and/ or reverse grid races. I had my doubts about the reverse top 10 races at NZFMR but in reality they worked really well with no issues.

4. Keep the focus on driving standards and this applies to all participants. My point 2. regarding tyres should reduce the speed differential up to a point but also the David and Goliath aspect is what attracts spectators (and drivers). Little car/ big car inevitably means the big guys passing on the straights only to be repassed in the corners. There is no point in the big car drivers bitterly complaining about being "blindsided", the onus is on the passing driver to pass safely and the passed driver to allow room, regardless if this is on the straight or a corner!

4. Formalise a series with a points structure and calendar even when running within another class, eg Fast Saloon at Manfeild.