Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Dale,
    The numbers for this weekend for HMC are probably consistent with he fact that so few of the HMC stalwarts supported the glamour event of the year. This (Legends) meeting is always poorly supported so - go figure.....

As a non-competitor I'm probably not qualified to talk shop but as I've been such a keen follower for the duration of HMC including it's birth, here goes....
    Dale, you make a HUGE commitment to HMC and you have alway been incredibly realistic in your expectations of growth etc so I appreciate how you must feel at this unviable position.
    My suggestion (and it may not be practical for a number of reasons) is you set up a competitor liaison person whose role it is to talk on a regular basis to all members of the group by email, skype, phone or in person. This role isn't to directly sort issues but purely to report issues that the various guys have going on. In some cases non-involvement is for personal or financial reasons but the person envisages being back in the short to medium term. In others the issues run deeper and a disillusionment or loss of interest has set in and the liaison person needs to be trusted to listen and not judge, is to be a messenger not a troubleshooter or defender of the realm.

It's bit like a customer feedback form - if you don't ask you often don't FULLY know what is going on in someone's life, finances and thinking. If you start to connect up the thoughts and feelings of individuals who make up the group you have a better chance of moving ahead smoothly - and planning events to cater for the needs of the group. None of this implies rule changes and COD issues as such. I believe that you can't please all the people all the time - especially in motor racing.

On a positive note I was talking to Dewi Jones yesterday about Aussie TransAm and in spite of the split that happened recently their recent Lakeside round attracted 18 competitors and they are projecting 22 or 23 for next month at Queensland Raceway. And the extra good news is their recent ATA meeting their was talk of sending 12 cars over! Now I'm sure that will dwindle in 10 months time but it looks like a rejuvenated TransAm class may result in maybe 8 cars coming over - time for the Kiwis to get their s#%* together I would say! Remember it was only 7 months ago that 8 Kiwi HMC cars went over and plundered their Lakeside event and all 8 of them finished the final race with only 8 Aussie cars still running. And Dale Mathers taking away the trophy for most successful and consistent driver!

I admit I'm worried a little but this is the time to get the email, skype, phone and boot leather going rounding up everyone with a compliant HMC car and finding out what they are doing, what they would like to see happen and very importantly - what meeting(s) are you going to support? The liaison role probably is better not being a competitor as petty jealousies and gripes often lurk under the surface preventing "full and frank disclosure".

Regards, "the Mini" I say it's just too bad. Angus is a really good guy and a very quick driver but as some feel in historics is prone to the "red mist" and overdriving. Howard's point about the braking zone is very good and because of this and the above comment I think illustrates why, sadly, this great and very historic Mini is an uncomfortable fit for the class in the hands of a top driver.

I hope some of this may be helpful.

Murray
    Last edited by Murray Maunder; 03-27-2014 at 01:48 AM.

An outstanding suggestion Murray. In a class where there is no club meetings to openly discuss issues then we need an opportunity to raise concerns which are not best discussed in an open forum such as T.R.S. I personally have much more to add, and such open dialog can only be beneficial for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Maunder View Post
    Dale,
    The numbers for this weekend for HMC are probably consistent with he fact that so few of the HMC stalwarts supported the glamour event of the year. This (Legends) meeting is always poorly supported so - go figure.....

As a non-competitor I'm probably not qualified to talk shop but as I've been such a keen follower for the duration of HMC including it's birth, here goes....
    Dale, you make a HUGE commitment to HMC and you have alway been incredibly realistic in your expectations of growth etc so I appreciate how you must feel at this unviable position.
    My suggestion (and it may not be practical for a number of reasons) is you set up a competitor liaison person whose role it is to talk on a regular basis to all members of the group by email, skype, phone or in person. This role isn't to directly sort issues but purely to report issues that the various guys have going on. In some cases non-involvement is for personal or financial reasons but the person envisages being back in the short to medium term. In others the issues run deeper and a disillusionment or loss of interest has set in and the liaison person needs to be trusted to listen and not judge, is to be a messenger not a troubleshooter or defender of the realm.

It's bit like a customer feedback form - if you don't ask you often don't FULLY know what is going on in someone's life, finances and thinking. If you start to connect up the thoughts and feelings of individuals who make up the group you have a better chance of moving ahead smoothly - and planning events to cater for the needs of the group. None of this implies rule changes and COD issues as such. I believe that you can't please all the people all the time - especially in motor racing.

On a positive note I was talking to Dewi Jones yesterday about Aussie TransAm and in spite of the split that happened recently their recent Lakeside round attracted 18 competitors and they are projecting 22 or 23 for next month at Queensland Raceway. And the extra good news is their recent ATA meeting their was talk of sending 12 cars over! Now I'm sure that will dwindle in 10 months time but it looks like a rejuvenated TransAm class may result in maybe 8 cars coming over - time for the Kiwis to get their s#%* together I would say! Remember it was only 7 months ago that 8 Kiwi HMC cars went over and plundered their Lakeside event and all 8 of them finished the final race with only 8 Aussie cars still running. And Dale Mathers taking away the trophy for most successful and consistent driver!

I admit I'm worried a little but this is the time to get the email, skype, phone and boot leather going rounding up everyone with a compliant HMC car and finding out what they are doing, what they would like to see happen and very importantly - what meeting(s) are you going to support? The liaison role probably is better not being a competitor as petty jealousies and gripes often lurk under the surface preventing "full and frank disclosure".

Regards, "the Mini" I say it's just too bad. Angus is a really good guy and a very quick driver but as some feel in historics is prone to the "red mist" and overdriving. Howard's point about the braking zone is very good and because of this and the above comment I think illustrates why, sadly, this great and very historic Mini is an uncomfortable fit for the class in the hands of a top driver.

I hope some of this may be helpful.

Murray
    Guess that's why you need to sort out which classes can race or just be processional. I would offer that Angus is at obviously at the level where he would expect the guys he is about to pass would be using their mirrors and not make any noddy moves. If it was me in front, I would probably be the noddy so maybe you should fix the classes at over 60 ( noddys like me), under 40 (good reactions,not like me) and the in-betweens (40-60) stay at the pub and watch F1 replays on the big screen until they are old enough to do processional racing.
    But the bugger is, it's the last class that usually can afford the F5000s, CanAms, old F1s etc. Kenny Smith not included in any of the above descriptions of course, he is in a class of his own.