Page 38 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Cool

Great stuff, Dale.

Results on the natsoft site, http://racing.natsoft.com.au/results/#2

Just click on the "Circuit Racing" silhouette, then the meeting is called Two Days of Thunder.

Some in-Car from Steve Elliotts 68 A-Sedan Camaro at QR last weekend. Dale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MR-whZ_ZR9I

Well it sounds like the Kiwis helped put on a great show with the Aussie TransAms at QR at the weekend. Those of us lucky enough to be going for the second leg at Lakeside have something to look forward to at this iconic old sixties track.

To pay tribute to this great TransTasman challenge I've put together a video of the class taken mainly from the second Friday of the Denny Hulme meeting at Hampton Downs.

Well done guys , great to see it all come together , just fantastic that you are doing this [ a little green .. envy] ??? lol
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 06-28-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    On a more serious note, spare a thought for Craig Staceys brother Paul, who has only just returned home from a lengthy stay in hospital following quite a severe illness, and faces a long road to recovery. Paul is an avid HMC man, and is booked on the Lakeside supporters trip which Craig tells me is now a `wait and see'. All the best with your recovery Paul.
    Very sorry to hear this. Craig Stacey will most probably not remember me. I lived 2 doors away in Mt Roskill and I went to school with his big brother Allan. Paul was always around to. Craig was very young then. Allan and I spent a lot of time together as mates. I would assume he would remember, as Dad always had his 'race' cars at home. I lost track of the family when we moved to Manurewa to be closer to Dads work, P & R Motors (well known to racing people at the time)

Might try and make the big effort to go out to Lakeside for a look see.

PS My wife Yvonne, went to school with Paul. (The same School, however I had moved by then)

regards to all, Steve

From a "Rag tag" mob too:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A "lean mean racing" team.

Historic Muscle Car shirts supplied thanks to Steve Elliott. Jim Richards and Nigel been the best of mates!!LOL and many thanks to Phil Ross from Shannon's(RH side) for the support he gave HMC to make this trip happen.

ATA organiser Ian(Woody)Woodward behind with that "shit eating" grin

Greetings Steve

Hello Steve ,

I sure do remember you guys, used to have a huge crush on your sister Marie back at primery school. I was never the same once you guys moved,lol.
    Mum and I used to visit your mum in manurewa , you would have been at school or working I spose.

I would love to meet up at lakeside when we are back , no pressure, be there!
    Please give my regards to your Mum and Dad.
    Bob Homewood sent me a pik of your Dad a while ago so I could show it to my father.

See you at Lakeside
    kind regards
    Craig Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Emson View Post
    Very sorry to hear this. Craig Stacey will most probably not remember me. I lived 2 doors away in Mt Roskill and I went to school with his big brother Allan. Paul was always around to. Craig was very young then. Allan and I spent a lot of time together as mates. I would assume he would remember, as Dad always had his 'race' cars at home. I lost track of the family when we moved to Manurewa to be closer to Dads work, P & R Motors (well known to racing people at the time)

Might try and make the big effort to go out to Lakeside for a look see.

PS My wife Yvonne, went to school with Paul. (The same School, however I had moved by then)

regards to all, Steve

Semi-Pro Racer
    This popped up online here today;
    Would have loved to see the Fahey Mustang there as well.

GEOGHEGAN MUSTANGS TO FEATURE AT LAKESIDE CLASSIC!!! Sent Monday, July 8, 2013 View as plaintext

Company Name: Queensland Raceways

Telephone Number: 1800 RACERS

Fax Number: 07 5461 9111

Email Address: qrmedia@qldraceways.com.au

Website Address: www.qldraceways.com.au

Twitter: @qldraceways

GEOGHEGAN MUSTANGS TO FEATURE AT LAKESIDE CLASSIC
    When: Lakeside Classic, Saturday 20-Sunday 21 July 2013

Event Location: Lakeside Park, Kurwongbah

Admission: $20pp Saturday, $30pp Sunday or $40 for a weekend pass, kids 12 and under FREE!

Lakeside Raceway will play host to Australian motoring history at the Lakeside Classic, Saturday 20-Sunday 21 July.

Two iconic Geoghegan Mustangs will be at the event, with touring car legend Pete Geoghegan's 67 Mustang entered in the Group N races, driven by David Wall, and his 65 Mustang on display courtesy of Bowden's Own.

Pete's older brother and racing legend in his own right, Leo Geoghegan, will be attending the event on Sunday to sign autographs and meet fans.

Few cars in Australian Touring Car history can rival that of Ian 'Pete' Geoghegan's 65 Mustang. It came to Australia in late 1965 after being assembled by Ford high performance race legends, Shelby American.

Meticulously prepared by John Sheppard, the Mustangs first outing was at Calder Raceway, where Pete was unsure of how competitive the car would be against the Mustangs of Norm Beechey and Bob Jane. His fears were unfounded and to use Pete's own words he "blew them into the weeds".

Pete and his Mustang were an unstoppable duo winning him practically everything that could be won with a touring car, as his record shows: 1966 Australian Touring Car Champion, NSW Touring Car Champion, Victorian Touring Car Champion, QLD Touring Car Champion, holder of the touring car lap records at every circuit he raced on, the 1966 AJC trophy at Warwick
    Farm, the 1966 Gold Star Touring Car series at Lakeside, and best of all- from its 74 starts the car managed 68 outright wins.

In early 1967 Pete sold the Mustang to New Zealander Rod Coppins. In New Zealand, it went through multiple owners before finally being tracked down and brought back to Australia by David Bowden in 1998. The original exterior and mechanicals of the car have been faithfully restored back to how it raced in the blue, white and red Total Team colours of 1966. The car interior is unrestored, the same as when big Pete sat in her back in her glory days. The famous Mustang is now preserved to be remembered as an amazing part of Australia's motor sport history.

The 67 Mustang won three Australian Touring Car Championships with Pete Geoghegan at the wheel and guarantees to be a crowd pleaser in the Group N racing category.

Categories for the Lakeside Classic include Group N Historic Touring Cars, Groups C and A, Queensland Touring Cars, Trans Am, and Improved Production. Spectator entry is $20 Saturday, $30 Sunday or $40 for a weekend pass. Kids 12 and under FREE! For more information go to http://www.qldraceways.com.au/lakesi...ng-car-classic or CALL US on 1800 RACERS!

Last edited by TonyG; 07-08-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Tony, there are a few reasons that both the Geoghegan Mustangs will be at Lakeside. One of them is because Leo Geoghegan will be at the meeting as a guest, as it celebrates 46 years since both the Mustangs raced together at Lakeside at the 1967 ATCC round where Rod Coppins raced the earlier model Mustang he had just bought of Big Pete. It`s a shame the Bowdens aren`t taking the Paul Fahey Mustang - Dan or Chris, are you reading this?! - as that car also ran at that meeting. The Saturday night function that we are having at Lakeside is going to commemorate that meeting, and some of the guests will include Jim Richards, Dennis Marwood, Leo Geoghegan, John French and Bob Skelton. A pretty special night for a pretty historic meeting, and all of us 8 HMC guys are stoked to be a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Some in-Car from Steve Elliotts 68 A-Sedan Camaro at QR last weekend. Dale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MR-whZ_ZR9I
    Hi Steve, loved that "quickstep dance" entering the front straight. Awesome, just bloody awesome

Thanks Dave, the track was still greasy, no wets, no power steering, it was ok. Jim Richards taking us all around QR in the mini bus late Friday helped get used to the lines, and he`s going to do the same at Lakeside. A bit disappointing snapping the rear axle in the first race - and being in sixth place - but no drama really. Allan Simonsen lost his life at Le Mans that same Saturday night, I only broke an axle..... I guess you have to keep things in perspective.

Weekend Warrior
    Hi, Looks like heaps of fun. How do you find no power steering ?

Dale reckons it`s costing me 1 - 2 seconds a lap, being a telly tubby is probably another 2 seconds, but I`m happy with how it goes!.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Dale reckons it`s costing me 1 - 2 seconds a lap, being a telly tubby is probably another 2 seconds, but I`m happy with how it goes!.
    Thanks, It would be interesting to actually know. I have a mate who runs in CMC, he's ones of the faster one and no power steering.........
    No pump and lines save a bit of weight over the front of the car....

Cheers Richie

Dale, have you posted up a photo of the new '65 Mustang fastback recently bought in the US for HMC or is the owner wanting to get it back to NZ before any pics are shown?

Probably get shot but here it is. Currently been shipped. Dale

And this one is coming for HMC as well, will be stickered up as a PDL replica. Dale

Yummy - real tasty cars. You have anything to do with finding these fine pony cars Dale? Concerned about the number of the General's cars showing up at HMC?