Page 18 of 93 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

OK enough BS, i found this great Valiant Charger(must be a E49) picture taken at Baypark with none other than Leo Leonard at the wheel, we will have Leo in our HMC pit marque for both weekends of Denny Hulme for general chatting and autograph signing. Leo was certainly "Mr Valiant Charger" wasn't he, about time we had one of these Chargers join the ranks HMC, they're a fantastic vehicle.

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Would love to see Leo have a stir of the wheel at a HMC type meeting. He was a really great driver in his day and kept Moffat at bay on numerous ocassions.
    Last edited by kiwi285; 11-04-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Now with wheels attached, and looking awesome!

Name:  100_5063.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  157.8 KB

Name:  100_5064.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  155.8 KB

Name:  100_5074.jpg
Views: 2037
Size:  134.8 KB

This Steve Twist photo from Pukekohe 1968 would have been one of the last times the Ivan Segedin and Frank Bryan Mustangs raced together. But these two cars are expected to be on the grid for the first time since 1968 when they line up together as part of the HMC field at the 2013 New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing, Celebrating Denny Hulme.

Neil Tollich has owned the Segedin car for some years, while Nigel MacDonald bought the Frank Bryan car out of the Bowden collection a few years ago.

Segedin raced his Mustang for two seasons, 1966, and '67, before selling it to Red Dawson, who raced it in the 1968 season. The Frank Bryan car, one of the 26 Shelby built Mustangs created for Trans-Am and A Sedan racing, was raced by Bryan in the 1968 season, then sold to Dawson, who raced it for three seasons, winning the 1970 NZ Saloon Car Championship, tied with Rod Coppins' Camaro.

This shot shows both cars, as Paul Fahey leads Dawson in the ex-Segedin car, Robbie Francevics 427 Fairlane, and Frank Bryan.

Name:  hmc1.jpg
Views: 2063
Size:  107.4 KB

Heres a couple of shots from the weekend at the MG Classic, Manfield. We had 6 HMC cars in the Fast Classics group, a good shake down for January. Most importantly lots of fun had by all.

Dale M

This is Glenn Allinghams awesome 427 big block '68 Camaro, now fully HMC legal. This car always draws a crowd, it looks great, is beautifully presented, and people love big blocks! I believe the car is also for sale if anyone is interested in getting involved with HMC.

Name:  DSCF4021.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  DSCF4019.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  149.6 KB

Name:  DSCF4020.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  149.4 KB

Dave Sturrocks Camaro, getting closer and looking great!

Name:  nov 17 camaro 2012.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  89.1 KB

Hi HMC Racers and others

We have been invited by John English and Ian(woody)Woodward from Australian Trans Am to have a NZ v’s Aus challenge at Queensland and Lakeside raceways next June/July 2013. These guys have shown true spirit by bringing 6 cars to NZ earlier this year and are coming back with 7 for Denny Hulme. This will offcourse require shipping our cars to Brisbane and back, not hard to do and probably around $5KNZ all up return costs(I priced it earlier in the year) plus air fares, etc. As Queensland is the “West Island” everyone will have family their so here’s your chance to visit, enjoy warmer weather and race at the same time. The first event is the Shannon 2 Days of Thunder, June 21/23 at QR and the 2nd is The Lakeside Classic, July 19/20 at Lakeside, both tracks are around the Brisbane area, most would have been to QR? Lakeside is just north of Brisbane.

I know you all are hard out getting ready for Denny Hulme and that’s OK, but all I’m asking for at this stage is a show of hands!! currently Myself, Stacy, Gimblett, Stevenson, Brown have shown keen interest. We are looking for four cars or may be more? If you’re keen E-mail me back. And also, all cars must be HMC legal for this trip and on 15” wheels with Hoosier tyres(same as the Aussies).

Give this some thought and let me know

Dale Mathers
    Historic Muscle Cars
    42d Koromiko Street
    Tauranga
    New Zealand
    Ph (07) 578-8852
    Mob (027) 4949-342
    dmathers@xtra.co.nz
    www.historicmusclecars.co.nz

Hi Dale.

We have discussed the prospect of having 4 HMC cars take the step of coming over for the much heralded Aus V’s NZ challenge in June-July next year. While you have indicated that you will make the journey, I felt that the timing for starting to plan this trip is now rather than wait into the New Year.

As we are sending 7 of our members cars over again in 2013 for the Denny Hulme Festival, it would be great if we can start a reciprocal arrangement in having the support of at least 4 committed Kiwis to bite the bullet and commit to joining us at Qld Raceway and then Lakeside for a series of Trans Tasman challenge races.

We have some support from our promoter but need to show that we have a solid commitment to making this happen.

Kind Regards
    John English
    For Australian Transam

Mobile: 0419 743 449
    Office: 07 3368 1930
    Fax: 07 3217 5460
    Postal Address: PO Box 128 Paddington, QLD 4064
    Email: john@budgetheightaccess.com.au

HI Dale,
    John English cc’d me in on the talks re- cars coming from NZ....so I thought I’d Give you a sneak peek at the 1st draft of the poster to promote the meeting. We would like to use the Trans Am cars as the feature act in our advertising especially with cars coming from NZ for a shoot out! Qld raceways have also offered free practice to all NZ cars on the Friday at 2 days of Thunder & As part of the event Shannons holds a special Cocktail party for VIPs’ and Guests at a local Hotel on the Saturday night...... Jim Richards is the Host.( and patron of the meeting.)

I would like to extend an invite for all NZ drivers and crew (as Guests of Shannons insurance) to attend the Saturday night casual Function that will be catered ( food and drinks) by Shannons in the Hotel Cocktail lounge/bar at The Metro hotel....
    Shannons also has a discount rate at that Hotel ( Metro)we can extend & recommend to anyone wanting to stay there that night.

Re - The lakeside Classic in July. Talks are underway to secure a Championship round of Group A & C Australian Touring cars
    ( all original cars) coming mostly from Southern states to run at the Lakeside Classic so we expect a big crowd at that event.

Regards,
    Phil Ross
    Business Development Manager (Qld)
    Shannons Insurance
    Mobile: 0418269056
    Phone +61 (0)7 31663564 Fax +61 (0)7 31663599
    Email: philip_ross@shannons.com.au
    Unit 5B/305 Montague Road West End Qld 4101

This channel 9 Camaro(replica) will be making the trip from Aus to NZ for the Denny Hulme Festival

Dale M

Check it out, Murray Browns '70 Camaro now wearing 15" Minilites and Hoosier bias-plies. And looking real good!

Name:  20121121_173641_resized_1.jpg
Views: 2867
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  20121121_173722.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  20121121_173829_resized.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  70.9 KB

Has Murray run the car, (note marks on right front guard/pity) it looks beautiful and he must have had a huge job changing it all over to meet Reg.s that is committment. Can't wait to see it in the roar. Nice colour

PS those wheels suit it.

Yeah the wheels look great! Steve Malam and Murray changed the Camaro last year to meet HMC regs, and yes it was a big job. There was a thread on here dedicated to the cars changes. The wheels/tyres are the most recent addition, just fitted. The battle scars are from when Murray took the car to Australia and raced at the Muscle Car Masters with Central Muscle Cars in September.

I guess im a believer, but sure looks the goods on 15" Minilites and Hoosiers!! fantastic!!!

Murray ran the Camaro in Australia in HMC spec other than the 16" wheels, but went so well he made others take notice(so i heard)!!

Dale M
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 11-22-2012 at 08:39 AM.

For those of you needing to watch something other than Coro Street - and no Dale, I don`t watch it - check this out on You Tube:
    `Watkins Glen 2011 Vintage Grand Prix Curt Vogt #530 Shelby GT350'. Excellent in car camera of a very committed Ford driver......

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    For those of you needing to watch something other than Coro Street - and no Dale, I don`t watch it - check this out on You Tube:
    `Watkins Glen 2011 Vintage Grand Prix Curt Vogt #530 Shelby GT350'. Excellent in car camera of a very committed Ford driver......
    I bet you're a closet Boro-nation street watch Steve, infact i know you are!! Camaro owner, ouch!!

Dale M

It doesn't matter where in the world you are, if you want to be added to my monthly/bi-monthly HMC E-mailout then E-mail me direct at dmathers@xtra.co.nz and put "Please add me to your HMC E-mailout list" then consider it done.

Dale Mathers
    HMC Director

At the 2013 New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing, celebrating Denny Hulme, there will be 7 teams making the trip from the Queensland based Australian Trans-Am series to take on the Historic Muscle Cars. These are set to be really entertaining races, as the field will also consist of several Under 3 Litre Historic Group T&C saloons, which, as demonstrated at the 2012 NZFMR, can really take it to the big cars.

The list of Aussie Trans-Am teams is as follows:

John English, 1970 Chev Camaro:

Name:  John English.jpg
Views: 2084
Size:  131.3 KB

Name:  John English 2.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  139.4 KB