Ross Grimes, 1974 Chev Camaro:

Name:  Ross Grimes.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  87.4 KB

John Lord, 1974 Chev Camaro:

Name:  John Lord.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  88.0 KB

Thanks to Ian Welsh, from Shifting Focus, Motorsport Photography, for supplying the beautiful photos of the seven Australian Trans-Am series teams making the trip to NZ. Check out Ian's website at: www.shiftingfocus.com.au

Heres a few more action shots from Ian:

Name:  2012QRDC5-2627.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  2012LC-1717.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  143.6 KB

Steve, who has to change their numbers as there is two cars on either side of the Tasman both with number 15 and number 31. ( not mine). Maybe the Aussies need to be 16 and 33. No big deal, but easier to change sooner than later.

Buggered if I know, I guess the event organisers sort all that out?

Easiest to add a 1 in front or after. With transponders, it is no longer a timekeeper major, more of an issue for commentators, spectators, flag marshals, dummy grid marshals etc. Better for locals to retain their numbers as that is who everyone recognises.

This picture say's a thousand words, i like it!!!

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Weekend Warrior
    Wee bit of progress, Name:  IMG_0874.JPG
Views: 1194
Size:  40.4 KBName:  camaro 1.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  53.7 KB
    The canvas, now stripped out, hard graft to begin!

Weekend Warrior
    Name:  IMG_0730.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  138.2 KBMy old Beast, now resides in AU touring car masters
    Name:  camaro.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  8.8 KB
    Last edited by richiev8; 12-07-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: add pic

Great stuff Richie! I hope you'll create a build thread for the Camaro? I'd love to follow its progress.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Great stuff Richie! I hope you'll create a build thread for the Camaro? I'd love to follow its progress.
    Thanks Steve,

Yes thats a good idea, be good to get a bit of tech about what others are doing in there builds.

I am currently looking at brakes. My old camaro I ran Wilwood GT6000, nascar caliper.
    Name:  DSC02647.JPG
Views: 1433
Size:  53.3 KB
    Or are these overkill?
    What are others doing?

Cheers

Oh yes...what a marvellous sight!

Opps, above was referring to Dale's picture from Hampton Downs...allthough that caliper does look nice...not as big as what we run on the front of the rally car though...

Quote Originally Posted by richiev8 View Post
    Thanks Steve,

Yes thats a good idea, be good to get a bit of tech about what others are doing in there builds.

I am currently looking at brakes. My old camaro I ran Wilwood GT6000, nascar caliper.
    Name:  DSC02647.JPG
Views: 1433
Size:  53.3 KB
    Or are these overkill?
    What are others doing?

Cheers
    Richie, these calipers are very close to been legal but are infact not!! the rules call for a 2 peice bolt together fixed lug mount style caliper. The above GT6000 due to having the 2 bodies spaced apart(from new) with spacers is infact a 3 piece caliper so hence not legal, whereas a 2 piece style caliper has the 2 bodies clamped together and retained by thu bolts which is "period". Also, this GT6000 is considered a "modern" post 12/78 part so hence outside the MSNZ T&C and HMC criterior.

Allowable HMC calipers are Wilwood GNIII, Superlite series, Dynalite, Sierra, Coleman, AP Historic series and AP 2 piece lug mount, others allowable are factory pre 12/78 style such as Thunderbird calipers for Fords and any GM/Camaro/Corvette 4 piston cast iron caliper, there are others also such as Jaguar cast iron. We will strictly enforce the "brake" rules in HMC as this is one area we don't want to see get outta control and increase expense. As we'll all be on similar brakes, and if any one complains about brakes fading or not working that'll be tuff, i say back off, let them cool and come back to you as it'll be the same for all.

Also to save confusion the max brake rotor size is set at 12.25 inches, any rotor manufacture is OK but as per the rules must be made from ferrous material, i've already have a person ask about using carbon rotors!! in classic racing? go figure!!

Dale M
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 12-10-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Another sensible HMC/HRC rule, made by racers, based on logic and politely pointed out. Nice work, Dale.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks for the input Dale.
    Would have to say fitting more than a 12.25 rotor in side a 15 would be a lot of work!
    Does anyone have experence with the GM111 caliper over the Superlite series? The superlite series are a lot cheaper, will they do the job?

Richie

Quote Originally Posted by richiev8 View Post
    Thanks for the input Dale.
    Would have to say fitting more than a 12.25 rotor in side a 15 would be a lot of work!
    Does anyone have experence with the GM111 caliper over the Superlite series? The superlite series are a lot cheaper, will they do the job?

Richie
    Richie, you can fit a slighly larger rotor inside a spun alloy 3 peice wheel but its awfully close to the rim and would be very dangerous if a stone got in between, it would cut the thinner 3 piece spun wheel bans in a heart beat so we decided 12.25 is the correct size we want for all and is commonly avaliable. I have GNIII's on my Mustang and they work great, the pad is bigger than a Superlite so my pad wear/replacement would be slower than the superlite, the stopping power would be the same, and remember brakes don't stop the car, tyres do!! brakes get rid of the energy and its usually how good they are on lap 7 and 8 that counts.

Picture is my Mustang, Wilwood GNIII calipers and 12.25 Coleman rotors

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by crunch View Post
    Opps, above was referring to Dale's picture from Hampton Downs...allthough that caliper does look nice...not as big as what we run on the front of the rally car though...
    Yes, thats a great picture Crunch, a bunch of muscle cars in period body work all diving for the one corner, unbelievably and better still its here in NZ so how good is that!!

Dale M