Page 20 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Some of these guys will be racing with us next month, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg4zHOyIQ24

Dale M

Awesome vid Dale, I've just embedded it so it can be viewed here.

These are the latest updates on Dave Sturrocks beautiful Camaro, which sadly now won't be racing at the Denny Hulme event after delays with the painters. It should be on display though.

Name:  066.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  062.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  99.2 KB

That is going to look grouse when you finish it Dave. The orange sills and nose cone give it the retro look, which is what the class is about.

You are so correct Steve, were all winners mate!! now doesn't look great guys, and wait until he gets some chrome on it!! Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is a pic from today of Steve Elliott's Camaro, progressing very well as you can see. I will let Steve fill in the details.
    If nothing else it will be the best looking collection of muscle cars seen here in a long tome.

Bloody hell Bruce, now I`m going to get a bill for blatant advertising! No, it`s getting there, I`ve been real busy with work, should have the new dash, seat, belts, doorglass, etc, back in it over the Xmas/New Year week, check it all over and get ready to do some skids at the practice day at Hampton Downs on the 11th January.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    You are so correct Steve, were all winners mate!! now doesn't look great guys, and wait until he gets some chrome on it!! Dale M
    There is something about that Gulf colour scheme that looks so smart and as fresh today as it was in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Here is a pic from today of Steve Elliott's Camaro, progressing very well as you can see. I will let Steve fill in the details.
    If nothing else it will be the best looking collection of muscle cars seen here in a long tome.

Steve that car is looking super smart - really looking forward to seeing it on track and driven as it was meant to be - tail right out.

World Champion
    I'm a bit worried about the size of those tyres........different front to rear.......
    Is that correct.? When you compare them with the piddly-arsed things on the Mini it's no wonder I cant keep up!!!!

So I am going to pull rank here and advise that because the Amco Mini is a genuine Sch K period S car, with a COD to verify this, built to specifications for the BNSW Championship in 1971 it MUST, according to Motorsport manual 35 page 480 paragraph 8.1, be fitted with tyres of a compound and construction with respect to the regulations at the time. Modern tyre compounds place undue stress on suspension components that exceed the chassis and suspension parameters of this old War-horse.
    Modern road tyre composition is not suitable for this car and could render it unsafe, so will be shod with old Dunlop slicks.

I notice that most of the other vehicles in the under 3 litre class are shod with thinly disguised slick tyres. Unfortunately with 10 inch wheels we are limited to couple of fairly average road tyres, the AO32 Yokohama being the best.
    Of course I could plonk 12 or 13 inch wheels on it, and get a much bigger selection of rubber, but I suspect that wouldnt go down too well.

There are going to be 3 Minis at the Festival, and we will all race round together at the back of the field, so you Muscle Boys have nothing to fear!!!!!!!

'The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plane'.......with a bit of luck some will find its way to HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool

Gerald, dont worry , there will be another old timer , first time out in 20 years.I will start behind you even further and be tail gunner in case you need a bit of extra width covering you from behind. And of course in the rain I will squeeze through the carnage after you. Sounds good? Anyway that brightly covered stop sign has no power streering so after he few laps he will be worn out and have no strength to push the accelerator down
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-21-2012 at 05:28 AM.

World Champion
    Well John, we are going to find out who the Christians are amongst us, and therefore whose prayers are answered. The Muscle boys, of course are praying for fine weather, whereas the under 3 litre fellas, especially Howard, would be happy with a bit of 'misty drizzle'.
    Frankly I dont care cos we dont really want the rain to 'spoil our parade'....do we. We are all out there having FUN......so who cares who wins or looses, and the Mini being the smallest capacity car in the class by a long way, needs a bit of a leg up.

By the way John, I have not had the pleasure of meeting you, other than through your numerous posts on TRS, so what are you driving at this prestigeous event?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Steve that car is looking super smart - really looking forward to seeing it on track and driven as it was meant to be - tail right out.
    Thanks Mike, I`ve done plenty to it since it arrived at Labour Weekend, and I`m also real keen to get it out on the track.

Gerald- I will be driving XA Smurff. We did meet early this year at the Big One at HD, I said to you that I raced against this Cooper S in my own Cooper S in the early 70s in the BNSW 0-1300 series. .It didnt really mean much as I was not a big name driver
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-21-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    I'm a bit worried about the size of those tyres........different front to rear.......
    Is that correct.? When you compare them with the piddly-arsed things on the Mini it's no wonder I cant keep up!!!!

So I am going to pull rank here and advise that because the Amco Mini is a genuine Sch K period S car, with a COD to verify this, built to specifications for the BNSW Championship in 1971 it MUST, according to Motorsport manual 35 page 480 paragraph 8.1, be fitted with tyres of a compound and construction with respect to the regulations at the time. Modern tyre compounds place undue stress on suspension components that exceed the chassis and suspension parameters of this old War-horse.
    Modern road tyre composition is not suitable for this car and could render it unsafe, so will be shod with old Dunlop slicks.

I notice that most of the other vehicles in the under 3 litre class are shod with thinly disguised slick tyres. Unfortunately with 10 inch wheels we are limited to couple of fairly average road tyres, the AO32 Yokohama being the best.
    Of course I could plonk 12 or 13 inch wheels on it, and get a much bigger selection of rubber, but I suspect that wouldnt go down too well.

There are going to be 3 Minis at the Festival, and we will all race round together at the back of the field, so you Muscle Boys have nothing to fear!!!!!!!

'The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plane'.......with a bit of luck some will find its way to HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gerald, as with most people, I too have a sense of humour...
    There is no pulling rank, my car is a genuine SCCA Vintage Trans Am Camaro A Sedan, with the log book and plenty of paperwork to confirm it .A couple of weeks back I was offered a considerable amount of money for the car, solely to allow someone else the benefit of enjoyment, that I have worked my arse off over the years to achieve, hence it is not for sale. I got involved with HMC because the cars are what I can relate to from being a youngster, Rod Coppins was a good family friend, and I`m at the stage in life that I want to enjoy what I`m doing with a like minded bunch of guys. For me there is no ego trip, no hidden agenda, if I shred the rear tyres in just one race, don`t worry they make plenty of them, just bolt on some new puppies and do it all again................

World Champion
    fullnoise68.....you sound as though you should join the 'Drifters'.......shredding tyres in one race......bless my soul, that thing must put out some serious HP. We thought we had a good lineup last year, but by the looks this year will be even better.
    What you have to admire is the standard of restoration and presentation that is so awesome. Every year you think, well it cant get any better, then someone raises the bar.........

I will do my bit to raise the bar by making a 100% commitment to having the authentic Team Cambridge, Grady Thomson, Jim Carlisle, George Bunce HK Monaro there at the next BIG one., just as it first appeared Dec 7 1969
    It will be running with the pack, likes playing with the Firebird, like in the old days, not just on display.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-21-2012 at 09:09 AM.

World Champion
    Hey, theres a thought. If we were under the HMC class we could bolt on a set of Goodyear 'Blue Streaks'. Wonder if they make them in a 10 inch size.
    I guess that was the reason Bernie Hines was importing race tyres, because there is nothing here that does the business.
    We have tried Bernies tyres on the Amco Mini, and while I found them OK, especially in the wet, my number 2 driver managed to destroy a front set in one race!!!!!! Bloody amateurs!!!!!!!

Gerald,

Is your no 2 driver putting in a guest appearance this year?

I may have to talk to Bernie to ensure there are "supply problems" with his American Racer tyres!

World Champion
    Howard, I have to report that my no2 driver will be behind the wheel at the first weekend. Should the car survive the treatment that he will meter out to it, I will get a turn at the second weekend. Should it not survive, I will retrieve the ex Denny Hulme Mini from the display area and use it instead. I will of course demand 4 laps start, as I dont think the skinny crossply tyres on it will stand up to much punishment !!!!!!!!!

As to Bernies tyres and the supply thereof, I dont think we are going to use whats left after the last festival. They tend to melt after about three laps. Bernie says I should start out with a lower pressure, but at 18lbs/sq in I think that is plenty low enough.
    They are very good in the wet however.......somewhere they can keep coolish.

We may experiment with some hard old Dunlop slicks, with grooves, but tyres certainly are a problem with these 10 inch wheels. [See post 390]
    Anyway, Im sure my man has something up his sleeve which I am not privy to.