Page 22 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

All it has to do is start , drive and stop at HD, oh yes and pass scrutineering on Thursday

I spoke with Gary Coppins, Rods younger brother, on Friday last week and he is pretty overwhelmed with what HMC as a group have achieved in a short space of time. Both Gary and Laurie, Rods other brother, are proud of what Rod achieved in his 43 years, and they both appreciate the fact that we are celebrating this era of his racing and his involvement in it. In what will be HMCs first `big' meeting as a growing group, there will be people there that are getting on in years, and for them it`ll be like a time warp. Some of these people will have a bit of info on various cars/drivers which is relevant to what we are about. I am really looking forward to racing my Camaro at the Denny Hulme Festival, just as the guys we are all celebrating did likewise at race meetings 40 plus years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    All it has to do is start , drive and stop at HD, oh yes and pass scrutineering on Thursday
    And `turn' John!!

I think that passing scrutineering is more important than getting round corners.Can cut corners while racing, cant cut corners building a race car.
    Another 4 pair of hands would get me there quicker, having to complete work on a customers car before I can have a full week on the car.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-06-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Are any other HMC competitors going to the `Race Car Only' practice day this Friday 11th January to do some skids before the Denny Hulme Festival?

Although Mike Rorison can't race at the DH Festival due to business committments i will be there testing his 67 Mustang this Friday, it will also be on display both weekends of the event.

Will you be out in the Camaro Steve?

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Although Mike Rorison can't race at the DH Festival due to business committments i will be there testing his 67 Mustang this Friday, it will also be on display both weekends of the event.

Will you be out in the Camaro Steve?

Dale M
    Don`t you mean will I be there with the tail out in the Camaro Dale? Hell yeah!!

That's rite, you're the guy that's gonna wear a set of rear tyres out in each race, much to Geralds pleasure, LOL

Can i follow you around Friday, need to see what lines you take so i can take the opposite at the Festival, LOL

Dale M

You 2 behave, want to see you and cars on Friday 18th morning. Can not wait to see all these cars lined up. Steve you better have a shave and tidy up as chance's are i will want a photo.
    Only 8 more sleeps.
    Cheers

Rod-8 more sleeps is only for those whose cars are finished and ready, others wont waste this valuable time.
    Steve-can send a video clip of a certain XA Falcon Coupe- Moffat Replica-giving a good line from finish line to first corner................
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-09-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Rod-8 more sleeps is only for those whose cars are finished and ready, others wont waste this valuable time.
    Steve-can send a video clip of a certain XA Falcon Coupe- Moffat Replica-giving a good line from finish line to first corner................
    John, if I was you I would go and hire a big screen for the next week so morning noon and night you can have that video clip playing continuously as an incentitive to get your car finished. All the best with it.

If you have seen that video clip I sent you, you would have watched that continuously as well . It takes your breath away each time.

The Aussies are all loaded up and on there way!! Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images   

John, I had seen it a while back. Lets just hope another Falcon Coupe doesn`t climb into someone else like that.

Just want to comment that I love the enthusiasm of the HMC competitors on this forum. Can't wait to watch you all from trackside. 40 cars Dale, that is fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
    Just want to comment that I love the enthusiasm of the HMC competitors on this forum. Can't wait to watch you all from trackside. 40 cars Dale, that is fantastic
    Thanks shoreboy57, i have been absolutely "flattened" with the enthusiasm and responce to HMC. I could not even have imagined were'd be at this stage 18 months ago when myself, Steve Holmes and Tony Roberts kicked this off. For Gulf DH we have 15 HMC legal cars, 7 Australian Trans Am cars, out of this group of 22, 20 are V8's, out of the 15 HMC cars 13 are on period 15" wheels with Hoosier bias or Goodyear blue streak tyres, just staggering. Further to this we have another 7 cars not entered because they've either just been imported, currently under build or in two case's their owners have other commitments and can't make it.

Also not to forget is the Pre 78 U3L small saloons, they have 22 cars themselves on the grid, Arthur has had a big headache sorting out all the cars modified beyond MSNZ T&C and some have also removed there hotrod equipment to go back to historic, a fantastic job for them.

And also a quick mention that most all our NZ legendry saloon racers will be attending, Paul Fahey, Dennis Marwood, Leo Leonard, Jim Richards, Ray Stone(Paul Faheys mechanic), Barry Philips, Toni Coppins(Rods Daughter) and the Coppins family, all be in the HMC marquee along with others, available to the public for autograph signing and general chatting between midday and 2pm most days. This alone will be pretty damn amazing.

Let the FUN begin

Dale M
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 01-10-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Looks like I will be a both Fridays only spectator. I hope to concentrate on getting track footage from as many viewing spots as there are HMC sessions, plus interviews with as many of the drivers, owners etc between sessions. If any drivers are agreeable I would love to copy in-car footage to my laptop at the end of the day's hostilities. Talk to Dale if you would like to share your exciting moments from your GoPro! I would like to post a more comprehensive video on YouTube as early as the next day.

Pretty exciting seeing that Channel 9 Camaro loaded into the container, I'm getting goosebumps already! Thanks Dale as well as Steve and Tony for making HMC the most exciting class - all in less than 2 years [EDIT - 18 months!] of scheming.

If you missed it, my short squirt of images of the HMC practice 1 last year is linked to this thread in message #85 or on YouTube at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfhOWYRwq2I

Now I have all the add-on bits for what was a brand new camera, i promise to do better guys.
    Last edited by Murray Maunder; 01-09-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Man, what a tantalizing thread. Can't wait to see some of the pictures from this meeting. Have a great time and have at it....Mates!
    Doug

Dale-One of the most well known legendary saloon car drivers Jack Nazer told me he would also be there.

I spotted this car in an Auckland freight company earlier this week. Just in from the USA, it still has it's Texas licence plate.
    Obviously not ready to race , but good looking.