Page 33 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Its going to run.
    See you there Mike?

Yes Mike, Dale is racing it as his car is not back together as yet.

Hampton Downs Sunday March 24th
    Name:  213_0324_08.JPG
Views: 823
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  213_0324_12.JPG
Views: 779
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  213_0324_13.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  213_0324_23.JPG
Views: 796
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  213_0324_43.JPG
Views: 774
Size:  54.9 KB

Still having trouble shrinking good quality images down to an acceptable size - quickly!

Name:  213_0324_44.JPG
Views: 793
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  213_0324_49.JPG
Views: 767
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  213_0324_56.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  213_0324_78.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  52.2 KB

Legends of Speed has been a great weekend of racing. Everyone there was smiling , enjoying the sunshine , the cars., the atmosphere. I had a fantastic time. Huge thanks to all involved right through to the flag marshals.

Top marks to young Carter as starter too. Has a far better grasp of dropping the flag for handicaps than many an older experienced starter! With youngsters like this, not to mention the Scott family - 3 generations assisting, we are very fortunate with our flaggies and officials.

Awesome photos there Ray, thanks for posting.

Some good incar footage here of Ricky Cooper working through the field from the back in the handicap race at the legends meeting in his Datsun 240Z.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Do Mussel cars not have to use their mirrors?

Well done Ricky in his Datsun 240z for waiting for the right time to make his move. I have watched Ricky race his 240z for over a decade now and one thing always sticks - he is a true gentleman racer making sure there is always room and no panel damage/touching at all times, which is good to see when some makes/models (zed included) are finding it harder and harder to find good panels - let alone new ones like some marques can get
    Last edited by nzeder; 03-26-2013 at 04:40 AM.

Nice video, very calm steady viewing.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 03-26-2013 at 06:45 AM.

JacMac-As you can see in the video I ( light blue XA Coupe ) checked in my rear vision mirrors , could see Ricky coming and afforded him professional courtesy by getting off the race track to let him through. I also value my hard to find panels
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 03-26-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    JacMac-As you can see in the video I ( light blue XA Coupe ) checked in my rear vision mirrors , could see Ricky coming and afforded him professional courtesy by getting off the race track to let him through. I also value my hard to find pan
    yes at 0.44 on the video, might have even got a bit further 'off' than you intended, your car looks like it needs a bit more development in the handling dept yet, I realise its early days, been there-done that, will get you all set up for the Monaro challenge though, those old girls have their own problems in the handling dept....

Agree with the comments about Ricky's patient driving and the video generally.

Very impressed John, with your use of mirrors. Love watching videos of handicap racing when there is a camera in the fastest car.

Ricky was recently made redundant when the company he was working for was sold. (It had been my major client company too...) He only recently set up in the Fire Protection business so it is great that he is still able to run. If you need a modern extinguisher with two clips, he is your man! That Datsun was severely damaged a few seasons ago (not Ricky's fault) and it is now a very smart car indeed - high praise from someone who prefers Brit cars.
    Last edited by ERC; 03-26-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Yep just watched the video, neat. Thinks a little mirror and hold your line would not go a stray.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Agree with the comments about Ricky's patienht driving and the video generally.

Very impressed John, with your use of mirrors. Love watching videos of handicap racing when there is a camera in the fastest car.

Ricky was recently made redundant when the company he was working for was sold. (It had been my major client company too...) He only recently set up in the Fire Protection business so it is great that he is still able to run. If you need a modern extinguisher with two clips, he is your man! That Datsun was severely damaged a few seasons ago (not Ricky's fault) and it is now a very smart car indeed - high praise from someone who prefers Brit cars.
    Yes Ray, I congratulated Ricky on his excellent driving skills and on been very patient with the slower cars including myself, most that have driven Hampton will understand it has some degree in difficulty and from turn 2 to 5 there are not many passing opportunities even with slower cars in front!!! and even thought short on numbers the viewing public came up afterwards and commented on an excellent spectacular race!! No damage, everyone that started finished, a great race and a fun weekend.

PS: Rickys younger sister was accidently deceased in a bike accident at Taupo last weekend, i told him this weekend was his.

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Yep just watched the video, neat. Thinks a little mirror and hold your line would not go a stray.
    The bigger cars tend to dart around somewhat on the period Bias cross ply tyres Rod, just like the old days and also hence the inside wheel brake lock ups as well, this is what Historic race is about. All understood this including Ricky so hence no contact or body damage. Nice close racing where everyone finished with a grin, lots of hand shaking and back pats afterwards. A great weekend had by all.

Ray, thanks for the great pictures.

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    yes at 0.44 on the video, might have even got a bit further 'off' than you intended, your car looks like it needs a bit more development in the handling dept yet, I realise its early days, been there-done that, will get you all set up for the Monaro challenge though, those old girls have their own problems in the handling dept....
    Jac Mac- actually the handling is fantastic, power steering helps more as well.Car needs no further development for on and off track, its all over to the driver.Done 2 meetings now. The Monaro is an interesting project as Schedule K imposes limitations on brakes.The right driver can overcome these minor details .ABs son got huge rapts from Jims worker who was down there in the weekend,said he drove above all limitations in such an old car.He could be a suitable pilot.Imagine the absolute irony of that situation-Hey Dad, I found some things you didnt do properly 44 years ago............

Now wheres the fun in that, racing is always about exploring new lines.It gets boring just going round and round. Any way, that was my fastest lap so I am not complaining.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 03-26-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Great photo's Ray by the way - I love this site with all those who not only own excellent SLR camera's but also know how to use them to take great motorsport pics.

As a spectator (and as soon I get my car back together...a competitor), it is great to see a good range marques of cars on the track at one time. To those who give up their time to make events like the meeting just gone, and to those who manage the girds I tip my hat to you all - it is hard works. Great racing to view and I know the drivers had a great time - a walk around the pits is a testament to that.
    Last edited by nzeder; 03-26-2013 at 10:14 AM.