Page 34 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    All understood this including Ricky so hence no contact or body damage. Nice close racing where everyone finished with a grin, lots of hand shaking and back pats afterwards. A great weekend had by all.

Ray, thanks for the great pictures.

Dale M
    That was only a sample Dale. Too many to post, but if any driver wants any sending directly, just email - jazz1 @tops.co.nz (delete the space of course - prevents spambots collating email addresses) I'll send them at about 400kb instead of the 80kb posted here. Originals are bigger of course.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Not sure of AB's age, think he is a couple older than me which would have put him in early 20's at time he was involved with those cars, I think we could forgive him for any stuff not done properly then, just dont repeat the bad ideas!

Believe it or not, he gave me his exact age, very early, just-20s then.What an introduction to life. Imagine the same opportunity given to the same age kid now.No bad ideas then, just a tight budget and a large wreckers yard out the back. I think he did a great job, and I saw Graeme Williams, the engine (Rods) man today also. You would have met him when the Mercury Flying Circus came to town.

World Champion
    I'm sorry, but am I missing something here. Since when was a 240/260Z a SALOON car. After all the tough talk about keeping the grids 'pure', here we have a highly modified sports/GT car competing with HMC and pre 78 saloons. It has to be highly modified, as in the video it went past some of the HMC cars, which aren't exactly slow, as though they were standing still!!!!!

I was told in no uncertain terms, after my comments on the 'amalgamated' grids at Teretonga, that we would not be doing that up here, and if only 3 genuine cars turned up, too bad, next year there would be 6, the following year 12....... I know there were other meetings on, which took regular competitors away from HD........excuses, excuses, there will always be others things on. We are starting down that slippery slope that leads to trouble. We are not racing 'like with like'. Pretty soon we will have a couple of Formula 5000 cars in there with the HMC/ pre78 saloons, because only 3 of them turned up for their grid!!!!!!!!!! You open the door once and it is all over.

By the way John. If you want to do the Baja course, I suggest you dig the Lada Niva out.......much better for that sort of thing!!!!

Hi Gerald, the Datsun isn't an HMC car, its part of the U3 group, which from my understanding allows production sports cars. I believe it underwent a name change back in January to: Pre 78 Classic/Historic Saloons, Sportscars and GT.

Gerald,

Very esoteric I know but the grid was Pre '78 Saloons and Sports/GTs whereas the festival was Pre '78 Saloons. Ricky wanted to but was not allowed to run at the Festival. The damn thing is quick and nimble in the tight stuff AND as quick as most HMC cars down the straight. Oh, and he drives it well too. In period the Porsche 911 qualified as a saloon but not the Datsun, I believe down to a few mm in the interior dimensions.

The video does illustrate the difficulty we have passing the HMC cars and the need to be sure of making a clean pass under braking BEFORE the turn in point otherwise it will end in tears. You might see when Ricky was coming up to me, although I would have been able to get alongside on the inside of the silver Camaro at the entry to turn 2, with their right hand "blind spot" I wasn't confident I would be given room so waited until I could actually get far enough past into Austins where he I knew I would be visible.

I know you, Angus and I are at odds with Dale over this as regards "racing room" but the chocolate fish for 4th tastes the same as the one for 3rd!

Ricky's 240z is not all that highly modified either. With all improvements made the same as those used in period. His 240z is actually a licensed tribute car of the BRE 240z (Brock Racing Enterprises). BRE is Pete Brock's business in the USA and has been around since the 60's. That is the US Pete Brock not the Australian Peter Brock. Pete was also involved is the development of the Shellby Daytona Coupes.

Improvements are in brakes and suspension tuning, engine has the factory option triple mikuni 44phh carbs. All mods are 100% T&C at the time of the cars rebuild after the almost write off a number of seasons ago (as stated not Ricky's fault, only the roof was not damaged all other panels needing work or replacement).

I also arranged a group buy of a custom rim that looks 100% like the factory option rims available in period in 15" size to fit the T&C rules. These rims are now used by Ricky, me, and the Buildlink 240z Targa car of Andy Mygrind.
    Last edited by nzeder; 03-26-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Just to also clarify. We developed as a Euro group, but at the time, we also recognised that the 240Z was a true classic. We also recognised that there was no classic class where a 240Z was welcome, so we made an exception.

Over many years, I was pestered by owners of various older Japanese cars and I suggested that as there were so many of them, why didn't they form their own series? Steve Melhuish who was involved in Muscle cars (not sure which group) took up the challenge and there is now a series for them.

However, as Ricky, Earl Cruickshank and a couple of others have are long time supporters of the ERC Series, it would be churlish to chuck them out, just because there is now a group for them. Anyone else not currently registered or having already been in contact during their builds, with a Japanese car would be steered towards Steve's group.

That is a decision that I stand by. Totally agree with Howard's comment re chocolate fish. We all recognise that it is about having fun and whether you finish 1st or 20th doesn't matter a hoot, just as long as you behave on track.

It may sound great to have a "pure" grid - whatever that really means, but racing like with like only goes so far. The grid has to be paid for and a 3/6/10 car grid is not paying its way. It is as simple as that.

When we have 50 cars vying for 40 spaces, we can get very picky, but at the back of everyone's minds needs to be an acceptance that it costs $2,000 for each and every grid at HD, before MSNZ levies are paid. So after that, the number two priority is driver behaviour, with car purity a distant third. That is the way I see it anyway.

HMC is growing steadily and you only had to witness the start of the final CMC race on Sunday (red flagged) and one driver's attitude to "points", to see why HMC has it right. Ricky's video is a good advert for classic racing, but also shows that care has to be taken when overtaking and that slower cars need to be very aware at all times as to what is happening behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Totally agree with Howard's comment re chocolate fish. We all recognise that it is about having fun and whether you finish 1st or 20th doesn't matter a hoot, just as long as you behave on track.

...and there in is the philosophy of H&C racing. Great comment

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    The bigger cars tend to dart around somewhat on the period Bias cross ply tyres Rod, just like the old days and also hence the inside wheel brake lock ups as well, this is what Historic race is about. All understood this including Ricky so hence no contact or body damage. Nice close racing where everyone finished with a grin, lots of hand shaking and back pats afterwards. A great weekend had by all.
    Dale M

Aknowledged Dale, going way way back being one who had to look in mirror a bit, at driver meeting I always mentioned to the smaller boy's in Sport Sedan events to check mirror and hold your line and the crazy big boy's will get around you. This was of course more in handicap races, when it rained the big boy's had to be reminded to look in their mirrors as well. All good, maybe should have worded it little differently.

Dale,

Looking over the photos posted in this thread I don't see any pictures of a Mercury Cougar. Are there any in the build process that you know of?

I have always liked the 1st generation cougar. Hmm maybe I should sell my 2x Datsun 260z and get a Mercury Cougar.

Here is a good YouTube video of the almost season for Dan Gurney and the cougar.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by nzeder; 03-28-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nzeder View Post
    Dale,

Looking over the photos posted in this thread I don't see any pictures of a Mercury Cougar. Are there any in the build process that you know of?

I have always liked the 1st generation cougar. Hmm maybe I should sell my 2x Datsun 260z and get a Mercury Cougar.

Here is a good YouTube video of the almost season for Dan Gurney and the cougar.

Cheers
    Mike
    Those are great youtube video's Mike, thanks for posting!! i have seen them before but always great to watch again. But yes, you are correct a gen 1 cougar would be fantastic and has all the same running gear as a Mustang and as i've stated over on the VCC posting the parts are available via the aftermarket industry, infact a Cougar can be bought for less than haft the price of a Mustang in the USA, my mate Rex in Modesto, CA just sold a mint going driving 67 Cougar for $3800USD, cheap!! they can be set up the same in the handling department as a Mustang. Paul Stacey who is on this forum has a 70 Cougar amost finished for HMC, hopefully we'll see it in the near future, it will certainly add a great flavour to HMC !!

As for building a Gen 1 Cougar, go for it, it can be affordable and something different!!

Dale M
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 03-29-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Ricky's 240z is not all that highly modified either. With all improvements made the same as those used in period. His 240z is actually a licensed tribute car of the BRE 240z (Brock Racing Enterprises). BRE is Pete Brock's business in the USA and has been around since the 60's. That is the US Pete Brock not the Australian Peter Brock. Pete was also involved is the development of the Shellby Daytona Coupes.

Improvements are in brakes and suspension tuning, engine has the factory option triple mikuni 44phh carbs. All mods are 100% T&C at the time of the cars rebuild after the almost write off a number of seasons ago (as stated not Ricky's fault, only the roof was not damaged all other panels needing work or replacement).

I also arranged a group buy of a custom rim that looks 100% like the factory option rims available in period in 15" size to fit the T&C rules. These rims are now used by Ricky, me, and the Buildlink 240z Targa car of Andy Mygrind.
    Correct Mike, Rickys Z is well build, correct running gear, set up nicely and he drives it well!! and the sort of guy i'd luv to have over in HMC. His 240Z is only outside T&C due to non "standard series production" bodywork(no rear bumpers and front spoiler/body work) hence why he couldn't race with us at the Festival. I've talked to Ricky about this and hoping he'll change but he likes the BRE look, he can still race in the Pre 85 Saloons/and or Sports cars at the festival but as HMC and the U3L Saloons gather momentum he'll eventually be out.

But i'll keep working on him!! great guy.

Dale M

Well I have given Ricky a factory front bumper from my collection so that will go on his car in the future.

You are right cougars are still affordable...still need that winning lotto ticket mind you if one was to locate one of the special models...I believe only 7 were actually raced in the trans-am series and of those only 3 have survived.

Well I have given Ricky a factory front bumper from my collection so that will go on his car in the future.

You are right cougars are still affordable...still need that winning lotto ticket mind you if one was to locate one of the special models...I believe only 7 were actually raced in the trans-am series and of those only 3 have survived.
    There are 3 that currently compete in Historic Trans-Am, all of which are 1967 models: http://www.historictransam.com/Cars.html

But there would have been at least 3 Bud Moore cars built, probably more. Is only one of these accounted for?

Its a shame nobody raced a 1969/70 shape Cougar in the Trans-Am, I think they're fantastic looking cars. Ford decided they didn't need Mercury competing against Ford, so didn't feel the need to enter a factory Cougar team after 1967, but it would have been good to at least have seen an independent 69/70 Cougar. There were several of these that competed in the Nascar Grand Touring series.

You are right - imagine if even the 68 427 powered cars were entered. I was surprised as the number of engines that were offered in the cars.

289, 302, 351, 390, 427, 428 and 429's from 67-70 aka First Gen Cougars

The 427s were used in drag racing I believe, but the Trans-Am had a 5 litre engine limit. I think the Nascar GT series also had a 5 litre limit, as some cars raced in both championships.

Steve H- correct ,Trans-Am did have 5 litre limit, I remember from when Joe Chamberlain was here.