Page 49 of 93 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Journeyman Racer
    Thanks Dale.
    This is the ex Warwick Mortimer Targa car. Dry sumped, M22 gearbox, triple side drafts etc. Has a lot of potential for more power and would work well in HMC. I've seen how fast they get these XU1's to go in Australia, so would certainly be competitive on our tight circuits. These Torana XU1's won Bathurst 5 times! Tony Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by RacerT View Post
    Thanks Dale.
    This is the ex Warwick Mortimer Targa car. Dry sumped, M22 gearbox, triple side drafts etc. Has a lot of potential for more power and would work well in HMC. I've seen how fast they get these XU1's to go in Australia, so would certainly be competitive on our tight circuits. These Torana XU1's won Bathurst 5 times! Tony Roberts
    And what's more Tony, they tend to keep all their legs in bed!!!! LOL. How is that 7 cylinder Corvette coming on?

Cheers Dave Graham

We have also allowed that Torana to run in the ERC Series, group, so we'd happily accept it again. There you are, two groups which makes it twice as valuable!

Journeyman Racer
    Thanks Ray.
    Yes another benefit in owning a little "Aussie Battler"!

I do like Leighton Smith's idea of setting up the Holden plant in Invercargill in 2015 when it closes down in Australia. It would be fantastic job creation - Mayor Tim would be ecstatic!

The engines back in the Corvette Dave with the Muncie rock crusher rebuilt as well. Kept it as a 454 ci to hopefully ease the strain on the standard diff, half shafts and gearbox. I'm still running the 5 transverse steel springs on the rear end, so it goes through millimetres of toe-out on droop and toe-in on squat, which makes for eventful handling! I would like to put it on 15" wheels with Hoosiers like Dale's class to keep it period correct, but the cost of the engine and gearbox has prevented that this year.

I'm still running the 5 transverse steel springs on the rear end, so it goes through millimetres of toe-out on droop and toe-in on squat, which makes for eventful handling!
    It wouldn't get through LVVTA's requirements for a modified car then...

Would HMC accept open cars, if period correct?

Journeyman Racer
    [Would HMC accept open cars, if period correct?[/QUOTE]

Hi Ray. It was decided early on that sports cars would be difficult to mix in with the sedans. It is the difficulty of defining a muscle car as much as anything. Obviously a Corvette complies in most respects, especially big blocks, but Corvettes ran in sports car races, not with the sedans. Then you have the question, are Sunbeam Tigers, Jaguar E Type V12's and De Tomaso Pantera's muscle cars?
    In the end, after a lot of discussion, we decided to keep HMC as 'pure' as possible and avoid complications!

Until numbers increase, maybe it is an option worth considering in the shorter term? Isn't it far better to mix it with those larger sports cars than with the under 3 litre class, where the smaller cars are dwarfed in terms of physical size and power? Just a thought.

To me, a 5.3 ltre XJS or 7 litre Corvette can foot it with 5 litre Muscle cars rather better than with a 1950cc MGB. You'll no doubt have noticed that many of the slower regular runners haven't supported the Festival and one reason is that physical size and huge horsepower in both HMC and Sports Racing and GTs alienates and intimidates the genuine smaller engined road-going cars. I think that the only MGB entered so far is Grant Kern's V8.

Journeyman Racer
    Pity about the MG's Ray, we need Fodder for the cannons! Have a great Christmas. Tony R

Well guys and gals, its been an interesting year so far with several new cars being built and hopefully at 2014 Festival. There has been some great threads on TRS, some humorous, some marginal and some plain informative. This really is a great site and is a reflection of the interest in yesteryears cars, so with that said all the very best for 2014, I look forward to catching up with you all at the Festival and don't forget to bring those COD,s (or those that have them) We will be auditing a number of cars over the two weekends!
    Merry Christmas and best regards
    Dave Graham
    HMC Technical Auditor. (and passionate motorsport fan)

Name:  suspicious.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  84.8 KB
    I found these pics from Lakeside in July on my cellphone.
    Not sure what the suspicious character was up to but combined with the previously posted one below it almost looks like the beginning of a HMC Rogues Gallery?

Quote Originally Posted by Javman View Post
    Can anyone help identify this character. Was seen lurking around in a Media vest.
    Attachment 19665
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 12-19-2013 at 04:41 AM.

May I wish Dale, Steve, Tony, John and all the other regulars on here, a very Happy Christmas and although not part of your group as such, I welcome your addition to the Classic ranks and totally accept your philosophy. It may differs from ours in the execution, but we all (well, nearly all) respect that this level of racing really is about participation and using the cars as they were meant to be used.

I just hope you get the support so you richly deserve and that it converts to more cars on the track, sooner rather than later so that we on the outside can enjoy them. No doubt we'll catch up with several of you at the Festival meetings and I look forward to taking pics of most of you at some stage.

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Name:  suspicious.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  84.8 KB
    I found these pics from Lakeside in July on my cellphone.
    Not sure what the suspicious character was up to but combined with the previously posted one below it almost looks like the beginning of a HMC Rogues Gallery?
    I think what actually happened here Paul, was Pete was just walking past Jims Falcon, tripped over, realised you had a camera, and made out to be technically interested....... aye Pete!

Thanks Dale.
    Didnt quite manage 5 victories, actually closer to 1, but i hear what your saying

Rodger- stats would show your model collected more wins on the montain?
    Also a message for you on the Sports Sedan thread- love you to do a post on your Torana, please.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-19-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogered View Post
    Didnt quite manage 5 victories, actually closer to 1, but i hear what your saying
    Yeah, why is it these GM boys use those Bic pens that write for miles and miles ……., especially when they are trying to sell something !

All the best to everyone on TRS.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    I think what actually happened here Paul, was Pete was just walking past Jims Falcon, tripped over, realised you had a camera, and made out to be technically interested....... aye Pete!
    Could be he was trying to figure out how Jim kept that car handling so well.

Paul there were lots of shady characters hanging around at Lakeside. LOL

To all HMC persons and interested parties, first up i need to apologes for not getting a current HMC newsletter mailout done in the last few months, i do try to get them done at least bi-monthly and currently have one half typed but other than the odd posting here and there i just haven't had the time to sit down and concentrate on finishing it. With the PDL replica build and actual income earning work(don't yar hate that) and other non income earning work getting in the way time has just rolled by and I've run outta year, i'll try and make a big effort before the Festival(2 weeks yeah rite) but don't hold me to it.

Other than that nothing has changed and its onward and upwards and moving forward steadily for HMC, im still fielding interest from various parties which is good news but this takes time for cars to surface and be finished. We'll be lacking in numbers for the Festival so we've combined again with the U3L Historic Saloon car grid(even they are down on cars) as we just have too many unfinished HMC cars that wont make the time frame and for those of you that know me well "i still won't let in any non-legal cars" end of story, but in a good old "Henry Ford" saying you only need two cars and you have a race and race we will(for FUN that is)!! The one disappointment for our coming festival event is the going HMC cars that there respective owners are not racing for various reasons but i do understand this and nothing is perfect and sometimes for personal reasons a rest is required, though its a bit of a shame for the class been new and all but life goes on so all is good and nothing is lost, see you guys next time.

On the positive side this 69 Camaro has just recently been purchased out of the USA to race in HMC, the owner doesn't wish to be named but i can tell you "he will race it with us" once on NZ terra firma, unfortunately it to will miss the festival as well.

Thats about it, see most of you in two weeks time.

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 01-02-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Thats a good looking '69 Camaro. I like that fact it has the correct style American Racing 200-S wheels on it. Many people bolt on Minilites when building historic big-bore sedans, but Minilites didn't actually begin appearing in the Trans-Am and A Sedan until 1969. Prior to that, many used Torque-Thrust style wheels. The 200-S wheels appeared on both the Shelby and Bud Moore factory Mustangs in 1969 in the early races, plus some of the privateer teams. But the Ford factory Mustangs switched to Minilites after a few rounds.

But I think the 200-S wheels are some of the nicest looking of the period wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    We have also allowed that Torana to run in the ERC Series, group, so we'd happily accept it again. There you are, two groups which makes it twice as valuable!
    Ray, have sent you a PM.
    Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thats a good looking '69 Camaro. I like that fact it has the correct style American Racing 200-S wheels on it. Many people bolt on Minilites when building historic big-bore sedans, but Minilites didn't actually begin appearing in the Trans-Am and A Sedan until 1969. Prior to that, many used Torque-Thrust style wheels. The 200-S wheels appeared on both the Shelby and Bud Moore factory Mustangs in 1969 in the early races, plus some of the privateer teams. But the Ford factory Mustangs switched to Minilites after a few rounds.

But I think the 200-S wheels are some of the nicest looking of the period wheels.
    Steve, one of the reasons they went away from the 200S(or Daisy) wheel was they had cracking problems and a few broke, the Minilite was new and also in magnesium and stronger so hence most went that way and the reason they became so popular back then!! but you are correct, the early gen 1 Camaro's look so good on 200S's and that's why I have Arrow 200S daisy's on my Mustang because in 69 that's what they ran, 70 onwards was mostly Minilites.

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images