Page 56 of 93 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1851

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

How come no gloves, John ?

There is a proverb- when you come to race the gloves are off...........

followed by the fingers when heated

One of the reasons I am not racing at the moment is not only the lack of use of the left hand but the extreme difficulty of donning the gloves! I wouldn't race without them. Would you be able to carry out your trade with damaged hands John?

Ray- I have checked the rule book, gloves are recommended, but not compulsory.
    If I choose to race I do so accepting all the consequences.
    Your comment about the damaged hand is therefore not relevent in comparison with injuries that can be sustained while undertaking this dangerous activity- remember, I was paralyzed from my waist down in my 30s and enjoy the second chance at normal life.
    And during my working day I do hoodlinings that you say you damaged your back doing.
    Ask JacMac his views on this.

It is indeed personal choice John. No criticism implied, but like Stirling Moss, I fear the damage caused by fire more than any injury.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post

Camera is in an unusual position, but just happens to capture one of the minor irritations that can happen while racing..
    5 minute to repair and back out for the next 3 races.
    So what caused all the smoke John? did you spin out backwards with your "Jandal" still up it, LOL

Dale M

Dale- it was one of the most minor things.
    The oil pressure light is attached to the roll cage, and the 2 wires run down it under the dash.
    With all the movement of the dash while racing- you can see it in the video, -the dash rubbed the wires causing them to touch and smoke.
    Removed 24 inches of buggered wire, and replaced it,and went out again.
    Never panicked as it was obviously a dash prob. not under bonnet.Went off when I turned off the key, turned off kill switch for safety.
    How often would the car camera catch something like this?
    The team asked me if the smoked mullet for lunch was done.

Wasn't winding you up John, just am surprised to learn gloves aren't compulsory. The old girl sounds great !

GD66-Nah, youre good mate. But we must value what freedoms we still have.
    Glad that your ears are still 100%

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    The reason for a master kill switch i guess!! great bit of footage John, boy the engine sounds awesome and i can tell you're having fun!!

For those not there on the weekend John wheeled the Falcon Coupe around with a best 1:16.6 lap and that's very impressive, come along way in less than 2 years John.

Dale M
    Love Falcon Coupes, my favourite muscle car.

Pity I can't afford one.

Bryan-One and a half coupes sold for $8800 last weekend, One at the moment on trademe is about $10k.
    You only need to buy one once, only the roughies are out there, come and see me if you want to know how to do one.
    Mine cost $375 on trademe 7 years ago, and it was the worst at the time.

Yep your choice cobber, but believe me, when it gets hot at the time, you are very glad you have them on. Never used to bother with them or head gear, but after witnessing the Capri at Manfield I changed my mind and thank god I did as I and car would have been not good at Puke years later and without gloves could not have removed wiring etc and got fire out. still a mess but I was ok and car repairable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Yep your choice cobber, but believe me, when it gets hot at the time, you are very glad you have them on. Never used to bother with them or head gear, but after witnessing the Capri at Manfield I changed my mind and thank god I did as I and car would have been not good at Puke years later and without gloves could not have removed wiring etc and got fire out. still a mess but I was ok and car repairable.
    I was going to mention Bill Leckies fire in the Capri at Manfield, Rod. Apart from his other injuries, the curved shape of his sunglasses actually saved his eyesight - and they had to be removed surgically....... food for thought John.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Bryan-One and a half coupes sold for $8800 last weekend, One at the moment on trademe is about $10k.
    You only need to buy one once, only the roughies are out there, come and see me if you want to know how to do one.
    Mine cost $375 on trademe 7 years ago, and it was the worst at the time.
    John, thanks for the offer, I'll make sure I do come and see you the next time I manage to get to a meeting.

My dad's only new car was a Falcon wagon in 1973, 200 3-speed in Cosmic metallic blue with slot mags - very cool with my 12-year-old mates. Sadly, he passed away a couple of years later, so they have a certain emotional appeal.

In the meantime, I have a cheaper restoration project to practice on - a different coupe that also came out of Australia in 1972, the somewhat less sexy Morris Marina TC Coupe (but rarer than a rare thing these days).

I remember Judy Hanbury/Mary Carney doing rallies and hillclimbs in Marina TC- a gutsy car
    Shame they never did the V6

Another photo of Paul Stacey's awesome Mercury Cougar. You can see now its really taking shape, and looking more and more like a Nascar Grand Touring car with its steel wheels. By the way, the exhaust will be trimmed down!

Name:  Legendsofspeed2014 010.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  151.3 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Another photo of Paul Stacey's awesome Mercury Cougar. You can see now its really taking shape, and looking more and more like a Nascar Grand Touring car with its steel wheels. By the way, the exhaust will be trimmed down!

Name:  Legendsofspeed2014 010.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  151.3 KB
    Wonder if Pamela supplied the two 'Woody's' holding the front end up!

Not your best work Jac! Ha ha ha

Looks like another cool blue car to hit the track- sure Dale has thought of the award for this colour already.
    Great job, and it also has a Cleveland to please the ears.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-14-2014 at 09:27 AM.