Page 60 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1851

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Attachment 25566This pic shows Kennet, Dunlop, Haig car still with rear wing & now bonnet scoop also..
    Very cool JacMac Teretonga I presume?

Dale M

Jac Mac, did John Armstrong race that Mustang after Kevin Haig?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes Dale, Teretonga.
    full noise, no John Armstrong owned/raced the ex Paul Fahey-John Riley 65 mustang prior to Rod McElrea, that car was green with #222 IIRC during Armstongs ownership.

Ownership of the car in question must be Kennet-Dunlop-Haig-Bruce-Morris-Slade-Kennard, then onto the guys you folk know.

Just another of several 'what if' scenarios for me, can remember looking at the car as a roller in a Ferry Road car sales for around $3500.00 and thinking 'should I' at the time
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 07-26-2014 at 01:06 AM.

I think the Bowdens bought it off Gary Doyle in the Manawatu area?
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 07-26-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Dead right mate, and compared to the other runners was an absolute stunner back in the day. I built a tribute 1/32 scale slot car of it, complete with lime yellow beard spoiler, black boot spoiler, matt-black bonnet stripes and big gold door numbers, with lots of help from Murray Maunder. But to see the real one on-track was a treat , with Red straining forward against the belts as he wrestled with the roaring beast, the nose rising high under acceleration, the thing sliding wildly on too-soft suspension, and even post-race in the pits, Red mumbling and grumbling about what might have been, overall buttons open as he mowed through another pack of gum at high speed. No wonder so many of us recall those heady days with such affection, those blokes were dead-set legends in front of our eyes !
    Your analysis and description insists you missed your vocation as a motorsport scribbler back in the 70s Glenn, but leave my name out of it. LOL Sadly four wheeled racing for me never got bigger than 1/24th scale and more often 1/32nd scale where us fanatics kicked everyone's butt with the latest chassis tech!

It's those images of Red's blue Shelby in my mind that continue to stalk me. When I go to HMC meetings - and Dale's workshop where the car has recently undergone some work from Dale Mustang Mathers - I dream that this car may, no MUST, end up in electric metallic blue with a Nascar-styled #35 down each side.
    Last edited by Murray Maunder; 07-28-2014 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Maunder View Post
    Your analysis and description insists you missed your vocation as a motorsport scribbler back in the 70s Glenn, but leave my name out of it. LOL Sadly four wheeled racing for me never got bigger than 1/24th scale and more often 1/32nd scale where us fanatics kicked everyone's butt with the latest chassis tech!

It's those images of Red's blue Shelby in my mind that continue to stalk me. When I go to HMC meetings - and Dale's workshop where the car has recently undergone some work from Dale Mustang Mathers - I dream that this car may, no MUST, end up in electric metallic blue with a Nascar-styled #35 down each side.
    Nigel picked it up saturday and i believe its off to the painters very shortly so it can be painted electric blue with a gold 35 on the door for the Festival, that will be a sight for sure!!

Dale M

Horn !!

Probably worth mentioning that the gold 35s on the doors had a yellow outline.
    Name:  dawsonrileymustangs.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  67.5 KB
    Last edited by GD66; 07-28-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Maybe Red fitted the spoiler, saw this situation and decided that the boot lid filler had to go.
    Apart from earlier Wills 3 hour and this Dunlop half hour there were no long distance events needing this big tank and special boot lid setup.
    So....how are you going to get around it?
    Sounds like they might have to attached the spoiler with wingnuts to fuel the car between races LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Attachment 25566This pic shows Kennet, Dunlop, Haig car still with rear wing & now bonnet scoop also..
    That funny little hood scoop was fitted to the car when Dunlop owned it. He made quite a few changes to it from the time he got it off Kennett. I'm pretty sure it ran its early NZ races just as Kennett (and Bob Egan before that) drove it in the Trans-Am, with 4-barrel 5 litre motor and 8" wide American Racing wheels.

Note that by the 1972 season, as pictured (photo by Warwick Clayton), the car has sprouted the rear spoiler, wider Minilite wheels, and the hood scoop. I'm sure he also had a bigger motor fitted too.

Name:  12-11-2010_003A.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  94.8 KB

looks like the front spoiler has been "dextered" on the right hand side.

Semi-Pro Racer
    When the Egan, Kennett, Dunlop etc car ran with a 4bbl was it a Windsor originally or Boss 302? Quite likely that the scoop was reqd for Weber IDA clearance on a Boss version, but not reqd on 289/302 Windsor applications. Boss engine was definitely fitted when purchased by Kevin Haig.

In that year were they running tunnel port 302s that were giving all the problems?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    In that year were they running tunnel port 302s that were giving all the problems?
    1968 & with two 4bbl carbs, but your pic w/out the hood scoop makes me wonder.

You think that makes you wonder, Jack, wait till you see the next pic I am putting up....................

The Egan/Kennett/Dunlop etc Mustang was a Shelby built A/Sedan car, and sister car to that of Frank/Bryan/Red Dawson. Shelby built approx 26 of the cars, keeping a couple for themselves to run a Ford factory backed effort in the '67 Trans-Am series, with the rest being sold to customers. They were all fitted with 289 Windsor motors.

Up until 1969, teams could run multiple carbs in the Trans-Am. I assume the Egan car was fitted with either a single or twin 4-barrel set-up. Like most privateer A/Sedan cars, it ran mainly local SCCA A/Sedan races, then took part in the big-dollar Trans-Am series when it came to town.

Egan campaigned the Mustang until selling it to Bob Kennett, who'd raced a Porsche 911 up until the 1969 season, when the SCCA decided the 911 was not a sedan. Kennett then raced the Mustang in 1970 Trans-Am and A/Sedan races before it went to Dunlop.

For 1970, the SCCA declared all cars must be fitted with a single 4-barrel only, no more multi-carbs. So the Mustang was converted to that set-up, if it wasn't already doing so.

The tunnel-port motor was used by the factory Shelby team in the 1968 Trans-Am, and proved a disaster. It was created in an attempt to keep up with the Penske run Camaros, and was 302ci. The design was taken from their Nascar program, but didn't work on road courses. They then developed the Boss 302 for 1969, which, like everyone else, was forced to run a single 4-barrel in 1970.

Its unlikely the Egan/Kennett car would have had its 289 motor replaced with a Boss, but its possibly it might have been fitted with a larger 302. But it definitely arrived in NZ with a single 4-barrel motor, as thats what it was forced to run in the US.

I'm sure I read somewhere Jac that Dunlop had a new mega-motor built for the car after the first season, which would be when the multi-carbs were fitted along with that little hood scoop. I'd need to go through my old mags to check, but maybe he fitted it with a Boss motor?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Getting reliable info on this stuff is like getting teeth pulled! Rang a 'reliable' source yesterday and it would seem that' Murray Bunn' built a Boss 302 engine for Dexter, this motor was still in the car when Kevin bought it, Kevin had problems ( and I believe these might have been a continuation of some suffered by Dunlop ) with that engine & rebuilt it along with some replacement bits after that first abortive OSCA season along with a lighten it up program & the colour change to Detroit motors signage. If you look at pics on the NZ Mustang website Kevin appears to have tried two different hood scoop designs.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  179.5 KB

Going, going,going..........watch for the next instalment.
    Good to see Southern Men werent worried about being P.C. then.

Name:  download (3).jpg
Views: 887
Size:  173.8 KB
    going................and gone.
    this sequence with our very own Jacmac in a OSCA-deserves to be here, not an an Imp thread.
    Smile, Jack.you were well covered this day, its seems every magazine had you covered.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-29-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Name:  download (2).jpg
Views: 935
Size:  166.2 KB
    The caption for this was- life with Dexter can be tyring
    Who wasnt there and missed this gem.
    Car has bonnet scoop
    Motorman Oct 73-D.G.Seymour photo.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-29-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    No should be in the Mini & Imp thread...Now John, was it not you who suggested that exuberant driving styles would not be tolerated in HMC, or are you just reinforcing that thought..
    My Story-cos I was there!- total loss of brake pedal when braking for the elbow at Teretonga, decided to make the elbow into a sweeper, just about got away with it and damage was confined to RR corner, it was Stewy Q that called it 'lil black sambo' which stuck, and there is a 3rd pic somewhere that caught the car in mid air just as it contacted the bank.... now if it happened today the whole RHS of the car would be stuffed from contact with the tire wall and I daresay I would be nursing some severe belt bruises, but you pay your membership fees and that's what you get.

BOT.. looks like the fuel filler was on that rear panel of Dexters car.