Page 71 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1851

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Hey bloody great work Dewi! That was awesome.

Historic and Classic Commission August 2015 report, From Raymond 'Crunch' Bennett, Historic & Classic chair

Mention of the word ‘history’ tends to cause glazed-over eyes and illicit grunts from many, but by changing one letter and adding another, it automatically engenders excitement among those involved with our branch of the sport.

We all think we know what is meant by the term ‘historic’ and each of us are somewhat correct.

Our interpretations are framed mostly by what we think is best for us, whereas the MSNZ Historic & Classic Commission must apply an interpretation that is good for the sport as a whole.

How many times do we start sentences with ‘back in the good old days’ or ‘never had these bloody rules when I was racing’? Quite often, me included. While we don’t have the same number of fatalities now as we did in the past, we don’t have the same hay bales around the classic circuits that we did either.

I would love to see the return of the historical street venues, and the return of the vehicles that competed in the period I consider the heyday of motorsport.

How does MSNZ preserve history?

Up until now, efforts have focused on the vehicles, which are governed by a set of rules called Appendix 6. These rules try to define and classify all the periods of vehicles, and do a good job (but maybe they need a catchier title!). The question is, are they definitive enough and do they work practically?

I have always asked, what is the difference between Classic and Clubman racing? Because they tend to be the same in New Zealand.

An old car is not always a classic

We have a Schedule K COD that shows your vehicle ran in period, or is the same as one of that model that ran in period. Schedules T&C open a few doors to modifications, encapsulating more of the clubman-type cars that were around ‘back in the good old days’.

Where we, the commission, and MSNZ need to work toward now is race grids with these vehicles and, ultimately, historic-only meetings at historic venues.

A big leap towards this has been the ‘Festival’ events at Hampton Downs with grids of cars that race together from the era they represent.

These include Historic Muscle Cars, Historic Sports Sedans, The Formula Atlantic Group and the Shellsport Revival Series.

Flexing muscle

The first one off the block was Historic Muscle Cars (HMC). For the last four years, HMC have provided grids that have topped 30 cars. These are primarily American cars from the 1960s up to 1977 in the same specification as they were then. A huge limiting factor is the wheel size of 15”, which limits the brake size, leading to an even playing field and lower costs. Growing up, I loved the Pontiac Trans Ams of the 70s, now I think that they are ugly, but let’s just call that the patina of history.

Mustangs never really went out of date, except in the 80s when they become four-cylinder opera top boxes for pimps and drug dealers. Chev Camaros, SS Challengers and the like will always live on in history as long as movies like Bullitt survive.

HMC has ensured a future for its current fleet, as well as new cars on the way, because of the rules it has set in stone. I look at Formula First, which has been around since Moses carved the 11 commandments*, and its success is derived from a strict set of rules that have virtually never altered. It keeps the costs low and expectations of excitement for the drivers high – well done! Now we have the equivalent in our beloved branch of the sport.

Making the right noise

HMC is all about the cars. These are about as period correct as you will see anywhere in the world. They produce the noise that we all love to listen to and engender the excitement within us of the good old days. Now HMC has expanded to include Historic Saloon Cars, which is a group of cars that must follow the same rules, but are up to 3,000cc capacity.

The likes of the BMW 2002s, Vauxhall Vivas and Hillman Avengers that used to populate the grid at the Wills and latter Benson & Hedges long distance races now also have a place to shine. Success breeds success, and this grid is expanding in numbers. People are even turning their modified cars back to its original specs so they can be part of the show.

At present, my search for an Avenger is drawing laughs from my mates, an unexpected comment from my dad about my brother being conceived in his one, and my son saying an Avenger is a superhero, not a car.

But, when I find it, I will have a car that I can drive to huge Historic Festival events, run in a grid of fantastic cars, take my lunchbox off the back seat and drive home again. I will feel like a superhero myself!

Grids of genuine Historic racecars have owners/drivers that appreciate the value of what they are a part of. They also still have something else from the past that is missing in our sport today, respect of your fellow competitor. “Rubbing is racing” doesn’t wash here, but if it happens, I know the old Turtle Wax Diamond Sheen polish will fix that, I just have to find room in my lunchbox to carry it!

It’s all good news, and seemingly was born of the commitment and forward thinking of all the MSNZ H&C commissions of the past. Long may it continue to blossom.

Now there is a great name for an Avenger racecar!

*11th commandment: Historic Motor Racing is all about the car, not about the trophy…and the best museum is a race track.

I owned one of the B&H Avenger TC's Dale. I wonder if it is still where I left it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    I owned one of the B&H Avenger TC's Dale. I wonder if it is still where I left it ?
    That's the idea Bruce, to have people find these old saloons that have great NZ race history, as now they'll have somewhere to race in correct format rather than at club/all-comer type events that think they're classic meetings.

Generally these cars don't go away, they're still out there somewhere but most owners have given up and parked them not wanting to race with modernized old cars of similar look, the current situation we have in NZ.

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    That's the idea Bruce, to have people find these old saloons that have great NZ race history, as now they'll have somewhere to race in correct format rather than at club/all-comer type events that think they're classic meetings.

Generally these cars don't go away, they're still out there somewhere but most owners have given up and parked them not wanting to race with modernized old cars of similar look, the current situation we have in NZ.

Dale M
    Dale, check with Mike Courtney, his avenger is or was for sale, ex targa car, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    ... but most owners have given up and parked them not wanting to race with modernized old cars of similar look, the current situation we have in NZ.
    Dale M
    Really? I think you'll find that there are a dozen other reasons Dale. There are several classes for road cars that seem to attract both older and slightly newer cars, but the big gap up until recently, was no opportunity for slick shod, or ex-race cars, running without interior trim, other than pre-65s.

We have been pushing for years for a class for classic ex-race saloons. But we have only recently seen any moves to cater for them. So far, most of the emphasis has been on the larger engined stuff, so race Avengers and other 1600cc cars for example haven't really been welcomed, other than as road cars. I'd venture to suggest that some have stayed in sheds because they are totally outclassed by the big bangers. But let's hear from the owners themselves, otherwise we are just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Dale, check with Mike Courtney, his avenger is or was for sale, ex targa car, cheers.
    Is that the same Mike Courtney, who ran Austin Seven sports - 1930 type seven, and also owned for a while a rear engined single seater with a Standard Vanguard / TR2 motor, think was called the RA Vanguard. have a photo of the engine somewhere but not the whole car. Mike lives / lived in Oratia / Glen Eden area in the late 1980's on some acreage and a big shed for cars, with a 1920 Villa brought from Mt Eden placed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Is that the same Mike Courtney, who ran Austin Seven sports - 1930 type seven, and also owned for a while a rear engined single seater with a Standard Vanguard / TR2 motor, think was called the RA Vanguard. have a photo of the engine somewhere but not the whole car. Mike lives / lived in Oratia / Glen Eden area in the late 1980's on some acreage and a big shed for cars, with a 1920 Villa brought from Mt Eden placed on it.
    Yes, that's him, saw him at the rotorua swap meet a couple of month's ago, had avenger & austin special's for sale. He had been in Kerikeri for a few years but has moved back to somewhere in Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Yes, that's him, saw him at the rotorua swap meet a couple of month's ago, had avenger & austin special's for sale. He had been in Kerikeri for a few years but has moved back to somewhere in Auckland.
    Kevin, if you see him again, mention my name. I was his Bank Manager at ANZ New Lynn in the late 1980's early 90's and as we both enjoyed cars had a lot to talk about - He had the vege shop in Lynmall at the time.

The Vanguard engine circa 1990.

Name:  Engines ; RA Vanguard RA4, Mike Courtney 1990 CCI31082015 (800x551).jpg
Views: 830
Size:  130.9 KB

Will put this and some others in Yards and Yarns thread - as doesn't really belong here.

He is now in West Auckland again, more than 1 car for sale on Trade Me (as is always normal for him )

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    He is now in West Auckland again, more than 1 car for sale on Trade Me (as is always normal for him )
    Oldfart same applies ; " if you see him again, mention my name. I was his Bank Manager at ANZ New Lynn in the late 1980's early 90's and as we both enjoyed cars had a lot to talk about - He had the vege shop in Lynmall at the time. "

Mike is a trader, last time I saw him was at a Telecom Motorfest in Frankton, Hamilton in the mid 1990's [ 94 I think ]. he was there with one of his Austin Sevens.

Crunch, I know were there is a Avenger Alpine body shell in pretty good shape along with a few other bits. You will get at right price.
    1976 Model.
    Just rang guy and he thinks its still there in yard.

If you interested

Give me a call 027 275 2264

or if you coming up for rally of the north you can have a look
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Some photos from an awesome weekend at the 2015 Muscle Car Masters, where 4 Kiwi HMCs joined Australian Trans-Am for the event.

Aussie Mike Collins was involved in a nasty shunt entering Eastern Creek's Turn 1 due to a gearbox drama, he walked away, was cleared of any injuries by the medical centre and the car will be repaired.
    Name:  IMG_2346.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  156.6 KB

Dale Mathers being guided around the Eastern Creek circuit by Charlie O'Brien early on in private practice. Unfortunately a broken axle put Dale's weekend to an end on Friday, with a spare axle unable to be found of the right length.
    Name:  IMG_2936.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  159.4 KB

John English debuted a stunning Pontiac Firebird on the weekend.
    Name:  IMG_2126.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  171.6 KB

Great turnout by the Allingham crew, the track commentators noted the great representation of kiwi supporters here for the event.
    Name:  IMG_4758.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  158.9 KB

One of the most popular cars at the event, an ex-NASCAR Grand National '66 Pontiac GTO originally built by Bobby Allison joined the Trans-Am field for the weekend, and Royston Evans really turned it on for the fans!
    Name:  IMG_5012.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  182.0 KB

A surprise to many to see Russell Wright debuting his '67 Mustang fastback and landing it on pole, almost two-tenths quicker than Charlie O'Brien.
    Name:  IMG_3647.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  150.5 KB

Race 2 start at Sydney Motorsport Park.
    Name:  IMG_4326.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  180.8 KB

A great weekend for Kevin Gimblett, putting the car back in the truck without a scratch. The Earnhardt tribute livery drew a crowd behind the pits between races.
    Name:  IMG_3801.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  161.1 KB

The best of the Kiwis over the weekend was Murray Brown, recording consistent top 10 finishes with a best of 7th.
    Name:  IMG_4620.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  178.1 KB

Murray battling here with Ian Palmer. Palmer was kept busy over the weekend, fielding a car in both Trans-Am & the Touring Car Masters.
    Name:  IMG_4096.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  156.4 KB

Outstanding images and info Dewi, thanks heaps. That Mustang of Russell Wright did really well first time out of the box. The race results listed it as only having a 5 litre motor. Surely that can't be right?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Outstanding images and info Dewi, thanks heaps. That Mustang of Russell Wright did really well first time out of the box. The race results listed it as only having a 5 litre motor. Surely that can't be right?
    You're absolutely right there Steve, it is a 5 Litre! It was his Group N engine fit to Trans-Am specs (with the right heads etc) which was actually down on power to his proper Trans-Am engine that failed during a shakedown the week leading into the event.

Wow! Thats really impressive Dewi, I'm amazed by that.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Perhaps its a timely sign that all the big bore / stroker boys need to think about going back to the 5000cc size as well, save some pennies in the process as well as the odd axle or two!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Oldfart same applies ; " if you see him again, mention my name. I was his Bank Manager at ANZ New Lynn in the late 1980's early 90's and as we both enjoyed cars had a lot to talk about - He had the vege shop in Lynmall at the time. "

Mike is a trader, last time I saw him was at a Telecom Motorfest in Frankton, Hamilton in the mid 1990's [ 94 I think ]. he was there with one of his Austin Sevens.
    The Motorfest was 1994, as have just relocated [ as in found ] the photos I took, they are going on a new thread soon, some have been posted already.

Name:  Telecom Motorfest 1994 Mustang #2, CCI06092015 (2) (800x520).jpg
Views: 682
Size:  117.6 KB

Here is a mustang from the 1994 Motorfest..