Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Jims Jaguar Thread

Name:  100_3865.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  70.2 KB
    I just thought I would put up this photo, on the JAG thread, of my son's very nice XJS LE_MAN'
    s, number 210 of 280 built, that he has just brought, to put in his garage. Graham Pocock !!Markson
    Last edited by markson; 12-04-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: 6

World Champion
    I sincerely hope he is not just going to 'put it in his garage', but that it will be exercised the way a Jaguar should be.
    Incidentally, you say it is a LeMans spec car........what is different from the regular XJS.
    That is one sharp looking machine, and a few years ago could be picked up for very little money. I think that situation may have changed. The shape was severely critisized when new, and then of course the fuel crisis didnt do it any good, but a wonderfully smooth and effortless road burner.

I know I should not react, however here I go, putting my head in the lions mouth again!
    Jim, you yet again hijacked a thread for your own reasons, ie the Taupo thread, then complained because you apparently were not allowed to run the Ferrari at a VCC event.
    I have no idea of what happened at that time, but it had nothing whatever to do with Taupo.A long time back I created this thread for you, in the forlorn hope that you might put your thoughts here rather than hijacking damned nearly every thread that was going, and it worked for a while.
    You have a lot to offer, but it seems that you need to realise that yours is not the only opinion in town. In my opinion (for what it's worth) no-one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong.
    Going back to the "Ferrari". VCC have robust rules relating to replicas, period specials etc. The primary one is that the car is dated by the newest of the engine or chassis, for circuit racing this must be pre Dec 31 1960.This is in agreement with Motorsport, and they are the intractable orgainisation relating to date. The tyres should be of period size, tread style etc. In the Mainland the tyre thing has become a bit more open, which not everyone agrees with.
    So for the car which was created (incidentally by friends of mine too,Peter, Ferris etc) the question for vintage movement would be, is this an accurate copy of the car it is portrayed to be? I undetrstand that photos, drawings etc of both the original, and the replica/copy/tribute may be needed. Onus of proof on the owner. 2nd, what year is the engine, again onus...Then a Vehicle Identity Card can be formalised, just like a COD.
    Personally I would expect the brakes, transmission etc to be just like the original, and the body of the same material, but that's not totally in the rules as I read them. Now before you leap into abuse I have spoken with you face to face on a number of occasions expressing delight with the car and what was done. I do not know the circumstances of touur attempt to enter, but was any of the background work done? ie COD or VIC, what was it dated as? If it did not have one of those you would be dead in the water, and with a pre 1960 dating. If, for example a 1965 Alfa motor (and I did not say that it was) is used it's a 1965. Chelsea is a pre 1960 event.
    The yeehas were because Steve had stated that anything not relating to the thread would be removed, you started that variation and I reacted. Calling mental state into question is a very dodgy place to go, someone might react to that. My late father often said "He who yells first has lost the argument". Don't yell in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by faminz View Post
    Wish my bugeye looked like that too!!!!!!!
    faminz strange you mention MG midgets was and still thinking of getting one in spite of been told bad in so many departments they are,I wont mention his name ,but he kicks hell out of me on this site for even thinking about owning one

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Jim, why is it, when mention of your cars is made, do you come back with 'all guns blazing'.

I know that you did not build the chassis of the 'Ferrari'. What I meant was, why didnt the original builder pick a Maserati to 'copy' rather than a Ferrari?
    I frankly dont care if the Lord Jesus Christ helped you to make the damn thing.......it is still a replica. And what a lot of tosh that Mr Tim Bailey, Ferrari importer 'ALLOWED' it to be called a Ferrari. Did you ask Enzo if it would be alright? Honestly I have never heard so much rubbish in all my life.
    I dont know who these couple of unheard of dreamers are, or the 'two with their ye ha post', but apparently I belong in that camp as well.
    Incidentally, I seem to remember you getting VERY excited over an Austin 7 at the last Festival.

Over and out............
    Amco to start my name is Jim not Jum,no you are not one of those two,if you noticed after Steve said he will delete further post both old fart and his mate forget his name beadog or something ,put up a Ye Ha or words to that effect,somthing a child would do on getting the biggest lollie,I am sorry I didnt explain Enzo was not available any more and Tim who {RIP] was a fine man,and being brought up to believe in Jesus, I do not like you bringing him into your ramblings to get some clout.As to the Maserati against Ferrari the man who started the car was a Ferrari lover and to this I had no control,as to sound all 4 cyld. cars sound that way this is caused by the way the pistons and valves work.A replica it was not and never did I call it such always a Ferrari Special.As to guns blazing,well an old uncle told me years ago never wear a gun unless you plan to use it ,so its hard not to have blaze when needed,I hope this explanation is of some help, but thanking you for your concern Regards Jim Short {my real name and not afraid to use it}

World Champion
    Oldfart, you are allowed to react on THIS thread because it is Jims 'Jaguar Thread'. So we can argue away to our hearts content without upsetting other more serious sites, and folk can choose to read or not.
    As beowulf said, there is a 'percieved insult' here that Jim cannot, or will not get over. I'm sure he has convinced himself that the 'Ferrari' is a real one straight from the factory. Quoting famous names from the past of NZ motor racing does not make it any more real.
    As I said in post 120, mention of these cars is inclined to get an angry response, and I dont know why. That is why I extended the hand of friendship to the man so he could come on here and CALMLY and SENSIBLY tell us about them. Instead I get my hand bitten off.
    Well pretty soon it will be, in Trucker speak........thats a big tenfour!!!!!!!
    Over and out.

World Champion
    Further.......Jim it was you bought the name of Tim into the argument to get clout for the naming of your 'special'. I was mearly carrying on the quote. Whether or not he believed in Jesus is irrelevant to the subject.
    I own a four cylinder car, and it doesnt sound like a Model A when it is on the track. Must be because it is a quality English product......or as you would have it....pom!!!!!!

You say you never called your 'Ferrari' a replica. Well you went to extrordinary lengths to get it as near as possible to the real thing. Most 'Specials' are contraptions folk dream up to perform a certain task......hill climbs, trials, off road, and only bear a tiny resemblence to any real machine, but they do the business.

And just remember when you are blazing away........ 'dont waste ammunition'......

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I know I should not react, however here I go, putting my head in the lions mouth again!
    Jim, you yet again hijacked a thread for your own reasons, ie the Taupo thread, then complained because you apparently were not allowed to run the Ferrari at a VCC event.
    I have no idea of what happened at that time, but it had nothing whatever to do with Taupo.A long time back I created this thread for you, in the forlorn hope that you might put your thoughts here rather than hijacking damned nearly every thread that was going, and it worked for a while.
    You have a lot to offer, but it seems that you need to realise that yours is not the only opinion in town. In my opinion (for what it's worth) no-one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong.
    Going back to the "Ferrari". VCC have robust rules relating to replicas, period specials etc. The primary one is that the car is dated by the newest of the engine or chassis, for circuit racing this must be pre Dec 31 1960.This is in agreement with Motorsport, and they are the intractable orgainisation relating to date. The tyres should be of period size, tread style etc. In the Mainland the tyre thing has become a bit more open, which not everyone agrees with.
    So for the car which was created (incidentally by friends of mine too,Peter, Ferris etc) the question for vintage movement would be, is this an accurate copy of the car it is portrayed to be? I undetrstand that photos, drawings etc of both the original, and the replica/copy/tribute may be needed. Onus of proof on the owner. 2nd, what year is the engine, again onus...Then a Vehicle Identity Card can be formalised, just like a COD.
    Personally I would expect the brakes, transmission etc to be just like the original, and the body of the same material, but that's not totally in the rules as I read them. Now before you leap into abuse I have spoken with you face to face on a number of occasions expressing delight with the car and what was done. I do not know the circumstances of touur attempt to enter, but was any of the background work done? ie COD or VIC, what was it dated as? If it did not have one of those you would be dead in the water, and with a pre 1960 dating. If, for example a 1965 Alfa motor (and I did not say that it was) is used it's a 1965. Chelsea is a pre 1960 event.
    The yeehas were because Steve had stated that anything not relating to the thread would be removed, you started that variation and I reacted. Calling mental state into question is a very dodgy place to go, someone might react to that. My late father often said "He who yells first has lost the argument". Don't yell in writing.
    Forgive me I started to read your tale but lost interest after 3 lines this car ran at many events never prevented once,as I stated quite clearly Chelsey was one mans problem ,I dont like the way certan folk are twisting things so no more on this subject.and a laugh a day is good for you so just lighten up you know who yes is you

Hi Gerald My Son did buy the Jag (to only put in his garage) ,as at present he does not drive, but I am sure that he will not be short of friends to take him out at weekends.The difference between a standard XJS and a Le Man's, are the head lights, the interior the wheels and a few other little items, but I don't think anything in the way of performance,he did pay a lot of money for it ,check out trade me listing 517 300 211 Graham. Pocock Markson