Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ross nova one

Journeyman Racer
    This is the meeting i was at and took the photos.I will send or try to post on here.There is some great shots of Dawson,Fahey,Black or Coppins? and Beechey racing very close at the corner before the pit straight.funny thing though I don't remember the E type nor is it in any of the pics!

Same grid,same race, but better looking cars in back ground GD
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Background cars?? Barely Hold in together?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    This is the meeting i was at and took the photos.I will send or try to post on here.There is some great shots of Dawson,Fahey,Black or Coppins? and Beechey racing very close at the corner before the pit straight.funny thing though I don't remember the E type nor is it in any of the pics!
    Aha, the Scott Wiseman E-Type.
    Look more closely at the picture and you will see the aerofoil. A fairly liberal stretch of the rules for saloon cars.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Surprising how often that bloody Laughing Pipi Citroen appears in the Bay Park pics...
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Look more closely at the picture and you will see the aerofoil. A fairly liberal stretch of the rules for saloon cars.

Stu
    Yep, thats right. I have to assume this was just an Allcomer type race.

Journeyman Racer
    Now my curiosity is peaked! This must be the meeting I was at but do I not remember or photographed The E type because it didn't last a lap? Is there a story behind that car? was this a one time race? The rest of the field is group 5? Lastly why wouldn't the E type have been ok for that class. I know it looks out of place in that field but what why would it have been outlawed rule wise? I know there are guys on this site who can clear up this so i can sleep tonight!!

hilstwist, the E-Type ended up backwards through the fence at Harmans, so if you missed it on warm up lap and start it did not come past again. Photo somewhere on sight i think, i got one at home anyway.

That shot is already on this site somewhere, I thought it was at Levin as Wisemann had a huge off there going backwards, so may be he did it twice. Little story about that. He used to come down to the shop in Aotea Square put on his smelly old work clothes, potter about a bit, declare "I'm not going to finish this today, I might as well go home" put his good clothes back on and off he would go. This saying is still in use in my shop to this day. But it was repaired eventually.

Got it , post 9 Dave Silcock Jags

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Silcock View Post
    Got it , post 9 Dave Silcock Jags
    Nice piece of investigative work there Dave! As for why the Jag was racing in this event, could it be the race was just an Allcomer type race? Australia and NZ were running to slightly different saloon car regs, so I think a lot of those events where an international car/driver appeared usually didn't run to a strict set of rules. They were just for pulling a good crowd and putting on a show.

Name:  WisemanJag001Quicke-mailview.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  118.3 KB

Here's a photo of the Wiseman E Type I took at Ray Larsen's place late last year.

Stewart

Thanks for posting Stewart. The car looks in very original condition. Does it still get raced at all?

Hope you don't mind I just rotated your photo.

Semi-Pro Racer

Wiseman E-Type

Stu
    My point, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, was about the aerofoil not being a normal saloon car thing. It does seem to have been properly engineered, and looks to have stood up to the off track excursion, unlike similar high wings on Formula One cars around the same time, which didn't even stand up to the aerodynamic stresses put on them.

Here is a December 1968 photo from a poorly supported sports car race.

"Pink Goddess" - Are you referring to an E-Type Stock Car raced by NZ-born Morry Morice in England in the 1970's(??), who also ran in a couple of minor Formula One races in the 1950's in a Cooper-Bristol.

Stu

Hi Stu,The Pink Goddess is the pink Citroen-this model is known as "the goddess"- in the background, a.k.a.bloody laughing pipi.In the sports car race , while numbers are low, its a good quality field.The Elfin big block is there, usual suspects..........wheres Jaimie A?

At his 50th bash, probably !

Is that Brent Hawes on pole in the Begg ?

My point, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, was about the aerofoil not being a normal saloon car thing. It does seem to have been properly engineered, and looks to have stood up to the off track excursion, unlike similar high wings on Formula One cars around the same time, which didn't even stand up to the aerodynamic stresses put on them.

Here is a December 1968 photo from a poorly supported sports car race.

"Pink Goddess" - Are you referring to an E-Type Stock Car raced by NZ-born Morry Morice in England in the 1970's(??), who also ran in a couple of minor Formula One races in the 1950's in a Cooper-Bristol.

Stu
    Wow, superb photo Stu. Whats the car at the rear, is that the HWM-Cadillac? Boy the wing on the Wiseman Jag sure sits up high!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, superb photo Stu. Whats the car at the rear, is that the HWM-Cadillac? Boy the wing on the Wiseman Jag sure sits up high!
    GD66 - Grid as follows :
    Jim Boyd (Stanton Corvette) Brent Hawes(Begg Chev)** Pole Posn**
    Scott Wiseman(E-Type) Grahame Harvey(Elfin)
    Bob Hyslop(JRM-Ford) John Riley(Lotus)
    John Monehan(HWM Corvette) Ivy Stephenson(Lola)

Steve : Corvette (or Chev at least) engine in HWM this time. Pity this wasn't in colour, I think it was a very fetching shade of deep purple at this stage. It had many engines and many colours over time J Donnelly entered it as the HWM-Thunderbird in 1965, painted red I think. At the 1962 GP meeting (Ardmore) Ron Roycroft drove it to 3rd with apparently a 7850 cc Continental aero engine - pale green was the colour then!

Stu

About this time was the HWM raced by ? Haskett?
    Likely to be wrong about the spelling.