Thread: 1976 Wills Long Distance race Pukekohe

World Champion

1976 Wills Long Distance race Pukekohe

2 Legends in Motorsport Mike Hailwood and Phil Kerr sharing an Holden Monaro

I am not 100% sure, but I think I was in this race. I would have been driving with Neville Bailey in a Datsun 120Y for the Nissan-Datsun NZ importers.
    I don't think many people realised how big a deal it was to have "Mike the bike" racing with us!. A pretty amazing man.
    Last edited by Steve Emson; 06-10-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Definately a talent on both two wheels and four.

Based on very early observations, I am very much aware that Phil Kerr was/is a very talented driver and that strangely these talents were never utilised. Confirmed, because Mike Hailwood with his experience, would not have chosen a partner having mediocre skills.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Part of the reason would have been Black Jacks conditions of Phil's employment as Business manager for Brabham, "No Competitive Driving"

I just did a bit of reading up on Phil Kerr.He is also a special man of many talents. Of course I knew the name but needed a refresher course on where he fits in the history of the sport. A pretty significant contributor for certain.

It is somewhat significant, I believe, that Phil was nominated as one of the "Drivers to Europe" but Bruce McLaren got this award. Phil was therefore a pretty handy peddler, and of course drove Bucklers pretty well too. (Just to slip the Buckler in again!)

Semi-Pro Racer
    He has written a book covering his time in car club activities through to the twilight of his career, its a good read.Now a farmer in Northland.

Phil Kerr's book is an excellent read as it fills in a lot of the background, particularly the business stories, of Brabham and McLaren racing teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Emson View Post
    I am not 100% sure, but I think I was in this race. I would have been driving with Neville Bailey in a Datsun 120Y for the Nissan-Datsun NZ importers.
    I don't think many people realised how big a deal it was to have "Mike the bike" racing with us!. A pretty amazing man.
    Nothing wrong with your memory Steve.

Name:  1976 B&H 1.JPG
Views: 547
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  1976 B&H 2.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  106.3 KB

Wow, Some great names in that program. Dad and Doug Bremner in a Viva for GM!! I had forgotten about that. Neville and me actually did win our class in that race , although it was a struggle. In the last hour or so of that race in the dark they kept hanging out the pit board with a decreasing amount of seconds to the first placed car. I worked away for what seemed like a very long time until I caught the other car. Good fun!
    Also Paul Adams and John Woolf in the cortina. I think I was suppose to drive that car with John, like we did the year before for South Auckland motors. However Datsun wanted Neville to drive the 120y, and as Neville looked after my Shellsport and GTX Datsun coupes he wanted me to drive with him. Neville Bailey, a very good driver and car builder!

Found a old (very) scrapbook at mummy's. It has alot of cuttings etc from way back.
    Earlier event
    Attached Images Attached Images