Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrapbook Cuttings

newspaper adds
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Newspaper cuttings of the Hulme/Brownlie accident

This happened after a previous car blew and dumped itself. I was a young fellow when this happened right in front of me and I helped Cyril after. We became friends and I travelled all over with him to meetings. He was real nice guy and had a pretty big hand in getting me involved more seriously in motorsport. He was the English Gent with cap and cravat, and drove well.

Motorman January 1971 details this November 15 meeting on page 6-
    ...Veteran Cyril Hyde had a nasty moment at Castrol, damaging both his Anglia and the fence.
    According to the article, it happened on Saturday during practice

I also have paper clippings/photos of the tragic accident that killed Brian Faloon and seriously injured Graeme Lawrence.

The newspaper headlines back then are very dramatic/blunt and thank god things have changed in the reporting world.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Motorman January 1971 details this November 15 meeting on page 6-
    ...Veteran Cyril Hyde had a nasty moment at Castrol, damaging both his Anglia and the fence.
    According to the article, it happened on Saturday during practice
    Yep practice, but on top of hill (Rothmans in those days)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Well, found some more cuttings tucked away in folder, these are from way back in 70s. From newspapers and mags.

Some interesting photos.

First one is one of my favourite shots of an Angle box. it would be the most used and viewed photo I reckon.
    Rod , great pik this , esses at Timaru , Neil tucked in behind Gary , for years they Gary , Neil & Ron , Silvester had some great races , I would probably be standing on embankment when this good pik was taken I am guessing about 1967...68

Elmac Sprinter

Not sure exactly were Carl but you got it in one.

Now have you worked out the one in the rally thread.
    The Elmac Sprinter started its life in Tapanui west Otago , built by Ron Abbott in 1966 it had a grey Holden straight 6 the front end was Holden and the diff was 1938 Dodge . next owner was Lincoln Evans, Jenkin Evans comes into the picture around 1969 , Rod McElrea bought the car in 1970 and fitted the Chev V8 motor and Bedford gear box from his 1938 Chev coupe into it .He also added the extra roll cage , the rest of the car was unchanged.

newspaper adds
    A couple of rough diamonds in this lot. Kay Griffiths in the BRP - worst car to arrive here? Ulf Norinder - off-track legend

Certainly don't remember Pierre Phillips looking like that !

Kaye Griffiths' BRP : who the hell finagled that deal ?

Norinder thread http://forums.autosport.com/topic/68074-ulf-norinder/
    Last edited by GD66; 10-17-2013 at 09:06 AM.

These are some old photos on a disc sent to me by Mark Coulthard from his scrapbook and collection, some not too clear but great any way.
    most are from 70s

First lot are from Bay Park and feature a favourite visiter in his Chev Nova
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 10-29-2013 at 03:07 AM.

Spinner Black Camaro in its original Yella, then Lexington, with an assortment of other machinery.

love the attitude of the HA, awesome.

John Riley in Mustang just after he got it from Coppins

Mighty Minis

The introduction of Formula A (later known as F5000) to NZ and Aussie. These were the first to run here and at Bay Park.

Remember this day as well, mate didn't it sound great. Awesome racing to watch these at it. Wonder how many times in NZ they were all together.

Sorry photo not best but you get the story.

Now here is one for you historians, looks like Levin and it has Wayne Huxford on the door.

Looks like Wayne at left in light blue suit.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 10-29-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Whos Capri was/is this one. Note dent work/rub in right front guard. Not best photo but best I could get it.

Another piece of NZ history, these cars were unreal.

Andrew Buchanan and Elfin

World Champion
    Whos Capri was/is this one. Note dent work/rub in right front guard. Not best photo but best I could get it.
    Frank Ryan? Also run by Bob Slade if so.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Frank Ryan? Also run by Bob Slade if so.
    Certainly looks like Ryans Car, but it was Paul Kirk who spent a lot of time at the wheel & sorting handling before it passed onto further OSCA drivers. Bob Slade was associated with the ex Jim Kennedy, West Coast Ford Dealer Capri.