Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrapbook Cuttings

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie289 View Post
    What else can you guys tell me about that cortina?/ Looks awsome! I do love me a V8 Mk 1 Corty!
    There was a multiple frame photo of the rollover in a magazine ( Autonews?) at the time, was actually about 3 total rolls IIRC, one shot showed the 'Cobra T' sump, think the trans was a T10, not sure about diff. There was a rumour floating around about how the Cortina body shell was 'acquired' at the time, but only a rumour as far as I know, car was quick, gave the John Armstong ( ex Fahey) Shelby Mustang a run for its money at the previous round at Teretonga.
    There was a second V8 Mk1 Cortina( Chev) in the Osca series at the time, a car built by Peter Kocis & then raced by Andy Threckhold. incidently this car rolled at the Teretonga round, but repaired in time for Timaru a few weeks later
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 11-03-2013 at 07:51 AM.

I purchased the Cortina off Jim McComb, from memory at the end of the season 1978. I collected it from Jim's place at Geraldine on my way to spectate at Timaru. John Osborne convinced me that since it was here, I should race it, having never even sat it previously. So I plodded around getting used to it. I believe that the car was re-shelled after the roll. It was fitted with the ex Fahey 289, complete with 6x webers and the cobra racing sump. The gearbox was a rock crusher through to a 9 inch with Detroit locker. The front wheels were 15" minilites, the rears steel. So the car had some good gear on it for the day. I attempted to race the car for 2 1/2 seasons, and never finished a race meeting once. It regularly ran #1 bearing, and I could never find out why. at one engine rebuild I sent the crank and 8 rods out to AirNZ for crack testing, and got 2 rods back. So I purchased Ian Munts 302 shortblock after he converted the Capri to Chev power.At the end of season 2 I stripped the car down, and converted it to LHD so that Fin (Alan Finlayson, John Osbornes mechanic) could move the engine back the allowed 12 inches. I borrowed the moulds off the ex Kirk Viva for the front, and the moulds from PDL1 for the back flares. At the first meeting back a spark plug broke and went through the motor, bending a carillo. So I cried enough, as I was about to move to Auckland with my job. Andy Newton (ex Bellis, Collins 350 Cortina) purchased the car off me, although I remember that the cheque had R. McElrea on it. The car was stripped out and dumped I believe. I know that the carbs went onto a street Mustang. I did consider purchasing a Mk3/4 Cortina off a certain Jac Mac, but he wanted $3500 as a roller, and I had only paid $4000 for the complete car originally. And as we all know that a certain R. McElrea bought it.

Found these great photos of the Cortina roll over.Name:  V8 Cortina roll 1.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  99.7 KBName:  V8 Cortina roll 2.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  71.7 KBName:  V8 Cortina roll 3.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  95.6 KBName:  V8 Cortina roll 4.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  117.9 KB

Ainsley Murray in the Sabre GT #95
    John Armstrong in the ex John Riley Mustang #222, the car later sold to Rod McElrea.
    Late yesterday at Ruapuna surrounded by a couple of ales, heard all the story from John on the purchase from John Riley and what a magic person was to deal with. The story was then continued on by Rod and his purchase of the car from Army and young Andy McElrea told of his recall of their trip to Dunedin in the car that was to be the trade in on that purchase. Good stories

Thanks for info guys, remember bits of it and the photo spread in 'AutoNews' (also an Auto Action paper back then) Not too sure on hanging out the window though, could have been nasty. Seat belts and seats, roll cages have changed.

This must be Crosbie playing in the 1/2 hr race you mentioned Jac mac.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 11-04-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    In the top pic of post #163 you can see the nose & rear of Aitkens Mini behind the Cortina, prang was apparently a result of LR tire of Cortina riding up & over RF of Mini, ie mini had inside line, bit fluky really with Mini being fwd & Cortina rwd- both driving wheels & under power at time- something had to give..
    Yes looks like Crosbie in Firebird- post #165- one of several cars owned by a gent who had earthmoving interests over on the west coast, name escapes memory at moment- car suffered with drum brakes issues...

George Farragher owned it, had drums on front, but Crosbie cleaned up the SI racing series in it-no real brake issues here.

Thanks so much to Jac Mac, 225sloper & spinner32 for taking to time to share info, looks like a pretty tough corty, and plenty quick... I remember buying a photo at a swap meet of a brown Mk 1 corty from the 70's that apparently was from NZ and ran a 253 Holden... Anyone know this one? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    George Farragher owned it, had drums on front, but Crosbie cleaned up the SI racing series in it-no real brake issues here.
    I think that it was Bill Farragher who had owned a Pontiac GTO prior to the Firebird, his company was called Westland Excavators.
    During the eighties he had the pub [New City] in Colombo Street, that was over the road from Smiths City Market.
    Last edited by Kwaussie; 11-04-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    One of these MK 1 Cortinas would have been purple at one time. 74/5/6. I did some guard flaring and paint touch up on a Chev powered one. Dont remember his name but he worked at Sandridge hotel burger bar at nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Grid for a distance or production race I would think. Notice Fiat in background with Henderson Central Motors was this Mr Radisich
    My guess is the XU1 #150 is Errol Inwood from ChCh

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    I think that it was Bill Farragher who had owned a Pontiac GTO prior to the Firebird, his company was called Westland Excavators.
    During the eighties he had the pub [New City] in Colombo Street, that was over the road from Smiths City Market.
    Correct, checked in with KFK yesterday to confirm that... my reference to the brake problem was remembering the Firebird returning to the pits at Teretonga after either practise or a race and large amounts of hot stuff exiting the front wheel arch's..

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Correct, checked in with KFK yesterday to confirm that... my reference to the brake problem was remembering the Firebird returning to the pits at Teretonga after either practise or a race and large amounts of hot stuff exiting the front wheel arch's..
    Jac Mac , I do remember this car well, it looked like a real super car compared to the dated looking Gt s & HO ,s etc , that were racing with it plus the other cars, it added great excitement to have this car in the SI series.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Grant, you might remember better than me, I remember your Dad at Teretonga with the HO pointing to the rear of the car while on the main straight - this was to draw attention to the fuel tank pickup to Peter in the pits- I was standing nearby & remember Peter mentioning that they had been playing around with it during the previous week. Got a feeling that the following meeting at Levels saw the position reversed.

Now was this the year that the Firebird raced because IIRC the next year Pat had the HO & your Dad had the Pacer.

Ernie won the first round in the HO, Crosbie the next rounds in the Firebird.

Gee nothing wrong with your memory John & Jac Mac , I recall Ernie & JR 1st & 2nd & Croz third at Timaru.........Ernie always only JUST had enough fuel to complete races , Got caught out at B&H while leading only to run out or they limped home , was a bitter pill to swallow , mind you its the same for every one [ifs & buts] Ernie might have moved the fuel pik up or more squirt for Timaru , as for the Pacer I sent Steve some piks to add here to threads as my pc wont handel them , one is of the pacer at levels when he [Erine] got tapped at the right hander.
    Jac you were lucky Pete told you about that as they were a closed shop on developement ??? lGrant

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Gee nothing wrong with your memory John & Jac Mac , I recall Ernie & JR 1st & 2nd & Croz third at Timaru.........Ernie always only JUST had enough fuel to complete races , Got caught out at B&H while leading only to run out or they limped home , was a bitter pill to swallow , mind you its the same for every one [ifs & buts] Ernie might have moved the fuel pik up or more squirt for Timaru , as for the Pacer I sent Steve some piks to add here to threads as my pc wont handel them , one is of the pacer at levels when he [Erine] got tapped at the right hander.
    Jac you were lucky Pete told you about that as they were a closed shop on developement ??? lGrant
    Ha Ha, he didnt exactly tell me it was just that I was standing close enough when he worked out what Ernie was getting all excited about each time he came up the straight... Pete's words were...the ******* fuel pickup......... thats about all that we heard before he realised there were others within earshot!!!

Rrrrrr that wud be why lol thanks Mate
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 11-06-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Mac ..... time slips away , so we had the gold fire bird , there were hot shots Ralf Emson [Steve,s Dad] & Kerry Grant ... so this might be the year before or after ..not sure ........ I remember Kerry saying some thing about he [Kerry] should have won the championship , have a pik of Ralf & Ernie & croz on a rostrum at levels ... I think Ralf might have won that Championship , Steve E might through some light on this.. ......& its all history but great years just great

Semi-Pro Racer
    Grant, yes I can remember Kerry & Ralph Emson in the Toranas, Roy Harrington also Errol Inwood, IIRC that was later than the Firebird etc, seem to remember Graham Calderwood on what may have been Faraghers old Pontiac GTO, also Leo in the Victor still in primer after your dad lost a wheel/axle? at Levin, Neil Neilson in a gold XW GT?. John McKechnie has a fairly comprehensive mag collection, with Auto News not many writeups had full grid lists & you have to read the text in order to get an idea of all competitors...

The year was 1969, Levin race was 4hr duration, your brother Gary & Barry Cottle won it in Fiat 125S, so Im guessing that 1970 or 71 would have been the Firebird year as your Dads HO was an XW phase II with the Cleveland .
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 11-06-2013 at 11:44 PM.