Thread: Scrapbook Cuttings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie289 View Post
    What else can you guys tell me about that cortina?/ Looks awsome! I do love me a V8 Mk 1 Corty!
    There was a multiple frame photo of the rollover in a magazine ( Autonews?) at the time, was actually about 3 total rolls IIRC, one shot showed the 'Cobra T' sump, think the trans was a T10, not sure about diff. There was a rumour floating around about how the Cortina body shell was 'acquired' at the time, but only a rumour as far as I know, car was quick, gave the John Armstong ( ex Fahey) Shelby Mustang a run for its money at the previous round at Teretonga.
    There was a second V8 Mk1 Cortina( Chev) in the Osca series at the time, a car built by Peter Kocis & then raced by Andy Threckhold. incidently this car rolled at the Teretonga round, but repaired in time for Timaru a few weeks later
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 11-03-2013 at 07:51 AM.

I purchased the Cortina off Jim McComb, from memory at the end of the season 1978. I collected it from Jim's place at Geraldine on my way to spectate at Timaru. John Osborne convinced me that since it was here, I should race it, having never even sat it previously. So I plodded around getting used to it. I believe that the car was re-shelled after the roll. It was fitted with the ex Fahey 289, complete with 6x webers and the cobra racing sump. The gearbox was a rock crusher through to a 9 inch with Detroit locker. The front wheels were 15" minilites, the rears steel. So the car had some good gear on it for the day. I attempted to race the car for 2 1/2 seasons, and never finished a race meeting once. It regularly ran #1 bearing, and I could never find out why. at one engine rebuild I sent the crank and 8 rods out to AirNZ for crack testing, and got 2 rods back. So I purchased Ian Munts 302 shortblock after he converted the Capri to Chev power.At the end of season 2 I stripped the car down, and converted it to LHD so that Fin (Alan Finlayson, John Osbornes mechanic) could move the engine back the allowed 12 inches. I borrowed the moulds off the ex Kirk Viva for the front, and the moulds from PDL1 for the back flares. At the first meeting back a spark plug broke and went through the motor, bending a carillo. So I cried enough, as I was about to move to Auckland with my job. Andy Newton (ex Bellis, Collins 350 Cortina) purchased the car off me, although I remember that the cheque had R. McElrea on it. The car was stripped out and dumped I believe. I know that the carbs went onto a street Mustang. I did consider purchasing a Mk3/4 Cortina off a certain Jac Mac, but he wanted $3500 as a roller, and I had only paid $4000 for the complete car originally. And as we all know that a certain R. McElrea bought it.

Weekend Warrior
    Australia/Melbourne/ex pat Kiwi/Halswell/Christchurch

Smile

Hi was this the Cortina that Souths Peter Blomfield ran at Timaru and Ruapuna nice car
    Last edited by camaroman slp; 11-08-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by camaroman slp View Post
    Hi was this the Cortina that Souths Peter Bloomfield ran at Timaru and Ruapuna nice car
    Peter Blomfield??? now IIRC NZRAF & also raced a Mazda rotary in OSCA ( very noisy ) before the Cortina.... wish I never gave away those old OSCA newsletters now.. its all starting to comeback, was another earlier car too if I have the right person..

Weekend Warrior
    One of these MK 1 Cortinas would have been purple at one time. 74/5/6. I did some guard flaring and paint touch up on a Chev powered one. Dont remember his name but he worked at Sandridge hotel burger bar at nights.