Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Scrapbook Cuttings

Wooow .... good read , to add to that , Leo entered the VIP 318 [B & H car] with Ernie , must have been the year after Leo drove the victor , what year was the victor , [not the one Leo drove with Brent]..... I drove it to Puke as part of the team [was a school boy lol , ] must have been 7o ...71 made me about 14 or 15

Some amazing images in here Rod! Simply awesome.

Weekend Warrior
    Australia/Melbourne/ex pat Kiwi/Halswell/Christchurch

Smile

Hi was this the Cortina that Souths Peter Blomfield ran at Timaru and Ruapuna nice car
    Last edited by camaroman slp; 11-08-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by camaroman slp View Post
    Hi was this the Cortina that Souths Peter Bloomfield ran at Timaru and Ruapuna nice car
    Peter Blomfield??? now IIRC NZRAF & also raced a Mazda rotary in OSCA ( very noisy ) before the Cortina.... wish I never gave away those old OSCA newsletters now.. its all starting to comeback, was another earlier car too if I have the right person..

Yes the same Peter Blomfield. I've just joined TRS and what a fantastic site, bringing back so many memories. The car before the Cortina was the ex Peter Beck Triumph Herald Coupe. Vauxhall 2 litre, Lotus twin cam box to a 180B diff out to Morris 1100 uprights, and de dion rear suspension. No wonder it was nicknamed the Triumph Thing. With it being a coupe you could race with the roof on as a sedan, take the roof off and it was a sports car. The only race you couldn't compete in was the motorcycle races LOL. Pete Blomfield

Peter, where is Peter Beck's Triumph Herald Coupe ?. I am a good friend of Peter's and he talks very fondly of his Triumph and I am sure he would love to know where it is. Cheers, Bruce

Weekend Warrior

Smile BMW

Does Peter Blomfield still own a BMW touring car that was rarely raced does he still have own it
    Last edited by camaroman slp; 11-08-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: errer

Answers to threads 186 and 187. The Herald was wrecked out before I purchased the Cortina. The purchaser of the chassis was going to put it on the dirt as a very early Modified, but to my knowledge never did.
    I sold the M3 to Jim Richards about 7 years ago when the cost of running the car became more than the budget I had. It was back over here a couple of years ago at the BMW Festival at HD. It was the ex Brock Mobil 1 car, which I had repainted back into the Brock colours.
    Cheers, Pete Blomfield

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks for the imformation Pete I remember you when you had the workshop in Ferry Road and built the viva osca car what was it powered by buick or rotor engine I may be wrong were did it go after you raced it. It would be great to here some stories from you being the owner/driver/mechanic/ as you must lots of stories about other drivers to tell, do you have any photos to post of any of your cars the Cortina was a cool car thanks Osca Fan

I feel that I'm hi-jacking Rod's thread, but since I've been asked. I'm surprised that anyone remembers the Ferry road garage. It was next to some retirement flats. The viva you speak of was the ex Paul Kirk Buick powered car, owned by Howard Ross. As we were next to old people, we were not allowed to start the V8's after 6pm at night. Howard had restored the Viva so that it looked really nice. Boxed flares, Halliday wheels etc.We were warming up the Viva one day when the cam shaft broke and lunched the motor. He started to build a Vauxhall engine with a turbo on, but in the early 80's getting turbos to work was hard. Howard told me some years later the car went to the dump.
    Thanks for your kind comments about the Cortina. When it was going right it was a mighty car to drive, but as I was about 22 when I owned it, I was too young/inexperienced to get the best from it.
    Pete

Pete- best age to be in a car like this.

Pete, you have not hi-jacked nothing, this is what it is about, jolting the memory cells and sharing info etc.

Welcome on board and love to see some photos.

Cheers Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Pete, you have not hi-jacked nothing, this is what it is about, jolting the memory cells and sharing info etc.

Welcome on board and love to see some photos.

Cheers Rod

Ok some more to ponder over

More photos that have come to light. some not that good quality, but bit of history in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

some older single seat stuff.

In the 3rd photo the gentleman with his hands in his jacket looks like a very young version of a well known motorsport commentator who still does some at Hampton Downs now.
    I think it may be our old mate John.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 11-24-2013 at 09:01 AM.

A bit of single seat action Bay Park

More single seat from Bay Park except 2nd photo.

Not sure if it is Oxton or Roly in Lexington number 18, think it is Roly Levis.

Can some one identify this car (and gentlemen maybe)

More history from Bay Park the day the Formula A arrived. Later to become F5000

More history