Quote Originally Posted by Chris Read View Post
Just like my Delage which has the pedals in 'eurpoean configuration' so it was not just racing cars - in the case of the Delage no need to worry about mixing them up. Put your foot on the throttle in the middle by mistake for the brake and nothing happens anyway.....and same with mixing up the brake pedal as they don't work being metal on metal rears only. Taught my kids to drive in the Delage (1914) as required the ultimate defensive driving technique which was to consider everything you intended to do or see 100m ahead. Chris Read - Arrowtown
Hi Chris, Good to know you are giving your off spring a solid grounding in the long lost art of motoring. It was not just a European arrangement as my Dads model A Ford and the C1 International I learnt to drive in had the self same central throttle pedal. That is really where the term "heel and toe" came from, you put your foot on the brake pedal and your heel was naturally over the throttle, easy as eh? It is still better than the present arrangement but too late now.