Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post, so here goes

First post, so here goes

Hi everybody. As this site seems to "smell of petrol", I thought I would give it a go. Having had a lot of interest in a project of mine from New Zealand, here seemed a good place to put a picture. I have always loved the maserati 250f, and after a few years of watching them at goodwood etc. I decided to build one, mainly because the real thing is too far out of reach, and I wanted something I could just jump in and drive. it is road legal, took 15 months to build, a friend of mine who worked for Rolls Royce made the body out of aluminium, and its great fun. I really hope this won't offend the purists, but I make no claims its a maserati, and our local Ferrari/ Maserati main dealer have had it in their showroom.
    Hope you approve.
    Name:  IMG_4829.JPG
Views: 743
Size:  111.3 KB

Looks great to me, how about some details of the build? I am sure there will be purists who denigrate this, but as you have said you make no claims to authenticity.

A great looking car and good to see that someone has gotten off their backside and done something positive about their dream. I am sure you will have great times with the car.

Wow, Andy, that is incredible! What an amazing looking car, I'm really impressed! What sort of motor have you fitted? Those wire wheels look absolutely spot on. I bet thats a lot of fun, good for you!

Great effort. Unlike so called purists I certainly don't mind racing with replicas - especially Masers which are my ultimate choice. I have raced along side two CM's and two real ones and sat in three and they are definitely my Lotto car. More details please especially photos of under the bonnet, cockpit, rear end and during construction and specs. Build me another one and mail it to me ?? . Chris Read -Arrowtown

thanks for the comments. Heres a link to a video we did recently with a Tiger moth.
    http://vimeo.com/43832371

Excellent work!

I love it ,i had its cousin Ferrari 500 a four cylinder alfa mtr ,not as good a sound as the six was probably more exact rev counter ect was just beutiful and once you got used to the front wheels jumping up and down was exciting to drive ,drum brakes were hopless but as Buggatti said cars are made to go .Sadly just one make believe race driver in a scruffy Riley complained it should not be allowed to run ,and now old and grumpy sold it to the USA{ was a mistake}

Fanbloodytastic. I can just imagine the looks you'd get pulling up next to someone at the lights!!

Mate, that is neat, as said more info please.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Andy, It must be great to drive a car like that legally on the road. I hear you can also get a road registered Vanwall in the UK.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otoKijvxbCc
    Imagine if both of you arrived at the traffic lights together.
    In the South Island of NZ we even had a road registered dragster driving around many years ago.
    Graeme

Thanks for the comments. it is fun I must admit. I will sort out some more detailed shots and post them

Now the Vanwall is a car I would really like to have a drive of. One of my all time favourites. My school exercise books were covered in side view drawings of the Vanwall. Happy days.
    Last edited by kiwi285; 06-27-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Heres a few more pictures of the "Tipo" Ill try and find one of the body without paint, for the aluminium lovers!!
    Name:  IMG_4835.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  56.3 KBName:  IMG_4836.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  71.9 KBName:  IMG_4837.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  89.3 KB

A few of the bodywork. You can see the early stages (clecko pins everywhere), and when she was brought back for fixings, undertray to be fitted, and a few other things prior to paint.
    Name:  IMG_4522.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  58.9 KBName:  IMG_4526.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  66.5 KBName:  IMG_4568.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  64.8 KBName:  IMG_4569.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  71.9 KB

Just fabulous, thanks for sharing!

Hi Andy I am in Love what A STUNING looking car I wish I could finish my care even half as good Jamie Aislabie NZ

Brilliant. Nothing wrong with replicas in my eyes either.

Wow, the workmanship is staggering! I love the bare alloy body photos. Its almost too beautiful to paint.

Andy, don't 250Fs have the accelerator pedal in the middle with brake on the right? Have you done this also?

Steve, I think most did have the pedals the other way round. I'm afraid I'm a chicken on that one. Plus, as the car is my demonstrator, it seemed sensible to keep it conventional, if not actually in keeping.