Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First post, so here goes

Didn't Stirling Moss have his 250F pedals modified?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes. He wouldn't drive a car with central throttle pedal

As David McKinney is around, I ought to thank him for writing his book on the 250F. Provided lots of information, as well as being a very good read.

An engine shot. Apart from a small one, no computers or fuel injection here. Just good old (new) lumpy webers.
    Name:  IMG_9763.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  88.7 KB

Andy that's just stunning. What is the powerplant?

Andy still in love ill bet it sounds as good as it looks Jamie A

Quote Originally Posted by andyp250f View Post
    Steve, I think most did have the pedals the other way round. I'm afraid I'm a chicken on that one. Plus, as the car is my demonstrator, it seemed sensible to keep it conventional, if not actually in keeping.
    Andy, I'm with you on this, 100%! I could definitely see how the original 250F pedal arrangement could end badly at a set of traffic lights, should a senior moment happen! I'd be doing the exact same thing as you. There are some things that don't require replicating.

May be so but when I built Ferrari500 copy pedals had to correct throtle in midle..told myself we learnt in a Model A so whats the problem?/ its the modern cars that I have problems ,I quite often indicate with the wipers

Yes I do that too Jim! And switch the indicators on to wipe the rain of my windscreen. But Andy uses his 250F on the road. I could definitely see how you could accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brake (or vice-versa) when at a set of traffic lights. Its probably not worth taking the risk just for the sake of being 100% authentic.

I think his car is great but in my case the chassis suspension and body was so correct and John Olhsen who helped me said many times this chassis is not home made!!when it went to the USA it was entered as a car that was cut in two at Wigram.the mistake they made when placing with Bonhams was to say that I and Jan Mcl. had rebuilt it.Doug Nye was the man who checked the cars out contacted Jan as he knew her .So I put the facts to him and the sale was off!! I must admit it would be great to know what happed to it I was like John Surtess said when driving that old M, Benz on display runs The brakes on the right..the brakes on the right over and over ..Then again not as bad when after driving my E Type all day and for the last run try out the 911 left hand drive gear lever on the wrong side.Hell it was so much faster you forget what side you are on after two laps.much later on to go around Champion in top then brake and go from 5th to 3rd before turning left with your heart in your mouth hoping not to pick up 1st as the remote lever was always remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    Andy that's just stunning. What is the powerplant?
    The Engine is the BMW M20 2.5 litre from an E30. Triple webers, and the now very rare "dog leg first" gearbox from an E21. Around 220BHP, with an all in weight of 670kgs. shes Lively.

Very, very nice job. Well done.
    I wouldnt know even where to start on a project like this, be very proud of it......and dont let the missus drive it!!

Quote Originally Posted by crunch View Post
    .....and dont let the missus drive it!!
    Some good advice there Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    May be so but when I built Ferrari500 copy pedals had to correct throtle in midle..told myself we learnt in a Model A so whats the problem?/ its the modern cars that I have problems ,I quite often indicate with the wipers
    Just like my Delage which has the pedals in 'eurpoean configuration' so it was not just racing cars - in the case of the Delage no need to worry about mixing them up. Put your foot on the throttle in the middle by mistake for the brake and nothing happens anyway.....and same with mixing up the brake pedal as they don't work being metal on metal rears only. Taught my kids to drive in the Delage (1914) as required the ultimate defensive driving technique which was to consider everything you intended to do or see 100m ahead. Chris Read - Arrowtown

Quote Originally Posted by crunch View Post
    ......and dont let the missus drive it!!
    Fortunately, she can't reach the pedals, and when I tried to explain a "dog leg first pattern", she lost all interest, muttered something about building a "stupid car that no-one can drive" and wandered off. It did work though. never wanted to drive it since. luckily.

Gee Andy, not only a very clever bugger but a marriage councillor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Read View Post
    Just like my Delage which has the pedals in 'eurpoean configuration' so it was not just racing cars - in the case of the Delage no need to worry about mixing them up. Put your foot on the throttle in the middle by mistake for the brake and nothing happens anyway.....and same with mixing up the brake pedal as they don't work being metal on metal rears only. Taught my kids to drive in the Delage (1914) as required the ultimate defensive driving technique which was to consider everything you intended to do or see 100m ahead. Chris Read - Arrowtown
    Hi Chris, Good to know you are giving your off spring a solid grounding in the long lost art of motoring. It was not just a European arrangement as my Dads model A Ford and the C1 International I learnt to drive in had the self same central throttle pedal. That is really where the term "heel and toe" came from, you put your foot on the brake pedal and your heel was naturally over the throttle, easy as eh? It is still better than the present arrangement but too late now.