Thread: Any support for a VCC Grid a week after Roycroft?

Any support for a VCC Grid a week after Roycroft?

This was started in another thread.

We are running a one day meeting the Sunday after Roycroft next year, also at Hampton Downs, April 21st. I am happy to offer the VCC a grid if they are interested as long as there are no MSNZ issues. I don't want to devalue the Roycroft in any way at all, but my thinking is that if we can get more South Island cars up to Roycroft, maybe they would consider it more worthwhile entering the event if there was something the following week?

I realise that Roycroft is unique in the north island, but as a long time proponent of variety in racing, there is nothing better than going to a meeting and seeing a vast array of different vehicles.

Currently, we have our own two groups, AES & Arrow Wheels, both displaying huge variety, plus Alfa Trofeo, so that is three confirmed grids and currently, we can run 6 comfortably, though it would be nice to be able to run 7.

This year at the 11th hour, Historic Formula Fords stepped in (as the planned open saloon class was at the ACC Pukekoke meeting), to add to MG Series and the Classic Trial.

Dale's Historic Muscle Cars were invited for 2013 but have declined and the Classic Trial turnout for 2012 was very poor with just 12 cars, meaning a substantial loss of income on that grid.

If there is sufficient interest for one grid (or even two VCC grids!) plus a healthy grid of either Formula Junior and/or Historic Formula Fords, then please get in touch as as soon as possible.

erc11 @tops.co.nz (Delete the space of course, but it avoids spam robots finding email addresses.)

TACCOC are normally happy hosting the MG Series and Classic Trial anyway, and normally have an event around that time, so those drivers won't miss out. This may just put a different slant on local race meetings, by introducing more people to the delights of VCC Cars - and that can't be bad.

It is a low key event without all the promotion of Roycroft, as we always run on a zero promotion and advertising budget and therefore, the meeting is 100% self funded by drivers.

If we could attract paying spectators, that would be a welcome bonus! Equally, if there are any car clubs wanting to organise a run, terminating at HD, as MG do for their successful "Kimber Breakfast run" at Roycroft, let me know.

Please, let me have your thoughts, so that I can make the official approaches as I crave a meeting that has good numbers, a variety of cars, is financially successful, a photographers delight, has great racing, yet is relaxed and low key with a modest entry fee for spectators. A win for everyone.

Ray
    Last edited by ERC; 07-06-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thank you Ray, I have passed it on to our committee to discuss. Currently we have to get our own permit and Clerk of Course for our races which are run under VCC Rules. There shouldnt be any MSNZ issue as long as we adhere strictly to the pre 1960 Rule. You would not have to pay a MSNZ levy to MSNZ for those cars competing in the VCC races.
    Graeme
    Last edited by GeebeeNZ; 07-07-2012 at 10:52 PM.

[ You would not have to pay a MSNZ levy to MSNZ for those cars competing in the VCC races.
    Graeme[/QUOTE]

That is right at the moment Graeme, however that doesnt mean the VCC grid should get a cheaper entry. I think the organisers should charge the same entry and keep the difference in return for providing the expertise to allow the VCC to have the opportunity. MSNZ doesnt need the levy, but I'm sure the club could use it. Everyone on the day should pay the same for the same services.

Sorry Crunch, I have to disagree. We simply collect a levy and pass it on to MSNZ. Although I am keen to make money out of the event (obviously!) a decent grid of VCC cars pays its own way by virtue of numbers. Rest assured Graeme, that a VCC entry fee will be strictly in accordance to our expenses.

What we cannot do with a self supporting event is subsidise small grids and this has driven my often criticised pragmatic approach with regards to our own series eligibility. With a grid limit of 40 cars, I see a grid of 10 cars merely being subsidised, by not paying their way. If another 30 cars had turned up, (and all grids were nearly full), each grid makes a decent profit or we can adjust entry fees downwards the following season or 'sell a grid' to a group.

We want to see cars out on the track, not locked in a garage because they fail to conform to someone else's set of rules. Whilst I happily accept that one or two of our own cars may well be marginal in terms of T & C, the series drivers have the last say. If sufficient numbers object, the car is out. It is self-regulating. I am not qualified to be a perrenial bonnet lifter, (even if I had the time) which is why the handicap system works well for us.

The series drivers are happy, so we have a happy series. Simple really. Isn't that what classic racing is supposed to be all about?

Please be aware that another branch of VCC have amended their calendar to have another event that weekend, ie the "Waihi" hillclimb.
    I would hate to have their efforts fractionalised. This year their event was affected by the Millen event, it would be sad if their 2013 event which they have already moved to avoid the Millen was further affected.
    Now I am spilt which way to go!