Thread: ERC Race Series - Euro Saloons & Sports

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nzeder View Post
    Yes that is a problem - the 240z is not a sport car under the FIA it is a Production Based GT car not a sports car. A sports car under the FIA is a limited number special series or purpose built race car - that is the FIA Appendix J definitions for the era the car represents. Cars like the 240z, TR's of Triumph, Corvette etc are out in the cold in NZ motorsport as they are not identified as mass produced GT cars but as these "Sport Cars" which they clearly are not specials/low built or race cars only aka a Le Manns Ford GT40 is a Sports Car as is the Nissan/Prince R380, or Porsche 917 - they are "Sports Cars" under the FIA Appendix J of the 70's and a Datsun 240z, Triumph TR7, MG, Corvettes are GT cars.

That is a big difference in my eyes.
    Hi NZEDER
    There are several FIA Sports Car categories that range from Production Sports Cars, GTS through to Sports Racing Cars. New Zealand has never had a production sports car class, so you are correct in there. The Festival is inclusive of all sports cars in one field, but does so with a regard to the differing performance levels and on safety. Sports cars are inherently safer than single seaters in a racing situation, because they have covered wheels and therefore not the propensity to touch wheels and launch into the stratosphere!
    Once again, it is a numbers game. If we had enough production sports cars then a field could be run, but then that would disappoint other competitors in non production cars that would be turned away. Your Datsun 240Z is welcome in the Festival pre 78 race class as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerT View Post
    Hi NZEDER
    New Zealand has never had a production sports car class, so you are correct in there.
    Bingo and that is why the Datsun 240z were never raced here in NZ in period - no class/grid for them. So if that is the case did the Corvette's, Triumphs TR's, MG Midgets race in NZ in period as they too are classified under the same FIA groups of Appendix J or the day.

My car is actually a Datsun 260z - however when most think of the 260z they automatically jump to the longer wheel base 2+2 version when mine is the shorter 2 seater version (even though the log book has it down as Saloon) which was produced in smaller numbers than the 240z with only 22,000 ish of the 260z 2 seater in RHD form created over its 4 years of production. Unlike the 240z which was made over 100,000 RHD then 200,000 in LHD (then there were JDM models too) so my car is in fact rarer than a 240z but it is easier to say it is a 240z as most ID that with the 2 seater version as the 240z was only ever made as a 2 seater.
    Mike L