The other point that some are overlooking is that even in NZ, 30 years ago, the annual Le Mans Relay races had teams of Daimlers, Morgans, Lotus, Triumphs, Austin Healeys, XK Jaguars, Bucklers, MG Midgets, Triumph Spitfires etc, but you rarely see them out on the track in any great numbers now, as they are deemed too valuable to race, or, open cars need a load of ugly scaffolding. Only MGB's are seen in any great numbers today mainly because they were massive sellers and all parts are still available, including bodyshells.

We know that many of our drivers still own very interesting cars but now keep them as Sunday drivers or show cars and who can blame them? Racing is very hard on the cars and accidents will happen as I know only too well, as not that long after I had totally restored my car, an over enthusiastic driver who should have known better, caused a minor incident that spun another car and in trying to get past it on the grass, his bumper ripped a great chunk out of my rear wing. Far easier to run a more recent BMW where panels are readily available.

We will never see TR2/3/4/5/6/7's, Lotus Elan +2s, Austin Healeys, Morgan +4s etc., out on the track again in any great numbers, any more than we'll ever see a full grid of Aston Martins or E Type Jaguars racing in NZ.

We do still get a great variety but the mix isn't what it would have been 25 years ago and it will change over the coming years - not necessarily for the better either, so I applaud anyone willing to risk an interesting car, as it is so much tougher (and more expensive) than the common options.