Thread: ERC Race Series - Euro Saloons & Sports

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sadly, you are right AMCO. I am making a start on writing the history of the series and even reading back to my own first newsletters and the low number of participants back then, we haven't had more than 3 Mini's on track at the same time in the last 20 years.

Had we stuck to the original 4 cylinder BMC series rules that I inherited, we would have fallen over within two years - and I doubt anyone would have even noticed.

We haven't seen a Riley 1.5 on track either, even though one was registered initially. Midgets have all given way to MGBs and several of those have now given way to MGB V8s. Guys seem keener on building a Perana Capri V8 - regardless of the expense - and yet no-one wants to run an Anglia and rarely a 4 cylinder Capri, so I am really pleased that Mike Lucas has opted to run a Mini.

We have also lost Triumph Spitfires (there were 3 of those at one stage), plus Triumph 1300's. These cars aren't outclassed either, as the handicap system negates any performance disadvantage anyway. I can only put it down to the scarcity of these cars and the ongoing scarcity of spares for some of them, particularly body and trim panels.

Changing some years ago to "Euro" rather than British, has ensured our survival, though it hasn't been without criticism. But there again right back to season 2, I copped flak for some of the decisions that were made, and in that respect, nothing much has changed!

A pragmatic approach as opposed to a purist approach may upset some people, but I am very happy that by the time I hand it over at the end of this season, the series will be alive and also very well, which it certainly wasn't at the end of year 10.

I hope AMCO that you can join our celebrations June 11th next year, as one of our guests of honour, to celebrate the last 30 years!

World Champion
    Well, ERC, I dont know about a 'Guest of Honour'.......that sounds a bit grand, but thank you for the invitation. Will certainly keep it in mind.

I am not sure that the reason for all the elderly BMC cars being parked up is scarcity of body and trim parts. Rather it is purely a performance, or lack of it, problem. Despite what my mate Dale, of HMC fame, says, drivers do not want to circulate at the rear of the field. I have done a bit of that myself and know the feeling. The HMC brigade is cranking more and more horsepower from these cars that started with about 500hp and are now up into the 800's........dare I say it, to stay in front, or at least be at the sharp end of the grid.......why else would they do it. In other words why spend a lot of dollars if all you are doing is 'having fun'. Podium finishes should not be on your agenda, but clearly they are. The cars are the stars.....yeh right !!!!!

We are lucky with the Mini in that there is a healthy supply of most body bits, but with your zero tolerance on contact in racing, this shouldnt be a problem........yes I know things sometimes get out of hand as the Amco Mini has found out !! I think it is just sheer lack of 'go' that stops these cars from being on the track. This also applies to machines like E type Jaguars for instance, so to save face and preserve the mystique they just dont appear anymore, and quite frankly they are pretty cumbersome to drive spiritedly.

I dont think there is an answer.....just go with the flow......its what the folk want, and the whole series stays alive, which as you have repeatedly said would not have happened if you had dug your toes in and stuck to the original formula.

So you will get a well earned rest at the end of the season, and if anyone has any doubts about whether you have done the right thing or not, they just need to look at the entry for confirmation.