Thread: ERC Race Series - Euro Saloons & Sports

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have a static photograph of Mike's car whilst at Motorsport Fabrications but I'll be driving a camera this weekend at Icebreaker so hopefully, will get one or two action shots and also pics of other new registrations.

We also have on hold, Ken Haycock's Mini Clubman and John Ure of Jaguar fame has purchased an ex Ken Haycock Mini Cooper (not S) that he is hoping to run. We have had a few Minis over the years but never as many as I would have expected, given the availability of parts, from bodyshells to everything else. Pity my 2 Elf projects had to be abandoned 12 years ago. One was going to be a concours 998cc and the other was going to be my version of what the Broadspeed Mini would have looked like had it been based on a Riley! No doubt it wouldn't have got a CoD 'cos it wasn't done in period'... (Posted a pic on the Mini/Imp thread.)

I don't think we have ever had a Hillman Imp registered with the series, which has always been open to Imp and Mini powered cars, such as Davrian, Clan, Ginetta G15, De Joux, GTM, Unipower etc. The nearest we got to that was Adrian Blackburn's Targa Mini Marcos for a season. I think there is a Mini Marcos for sale on Trade Me at the moment.

Just to bring you up to date with the registrations for this season, we are now up to 84 drivers - well over 95 cars - with two or three paying at the moment to get in before the weekend.

One or two more recent cars accepted include ex U2K Cup 205 Peugeots who have found the restrictions of U2K not to their liking. That only goes to show that U2K rules are being introduced or enforced to keep it the way they want but European cars can still move into another class.

No doubt I'll get pilloried for allowing them in, along with a newer thoroughbred, but we are now getting a higher percentage of cars that could be deemed newer, but without more Minis, Imps, Hillman Hunters, Triumph Spitfires, Lotus Elans, Daimler SP250's, Riley 1.5s, Wolseley 1500s, Morgans older Jaguars, MG Midgets, Reliant Scimitars etc. joining the fray, which they are not doing in sufficient numbers, I don't see that we have a choice.

So far we have a grid of 19 AES cars and 10 Arrow Wheels for Icebreaker. Quite why so many always enter late is anyone's guess... That is only a third of those paid up and if numbers do not hit a total of 30, then we will combine the groups to assist in a faster running meeting - but also to provide a better spectacle for spectators. To not do so would make me a hypocrite, as cars on track are still the only thing that will ever make spectating attractive.
    Last edited by ERC; 09-07-2015 at 10:33 PM.