Thread: ERC Race Series - Euro Saloons & Sports

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Agree with both the above posts. When the Formula Juniors for example were jammed into a crowded marquee, for spectators, you felt as though you were intruding and had to be very careful you didn't accidently trip and fall onto a body panel that had been removed. It was also very difficult to take decent photographs with everything jammed in together.

Having a garage at Hampton Downs anyway, I certainly wasn't going to pay $300 for a marquee as well! With individual Ezi-ups, the owners and cars were far more approachable and access to support vehicles was also a lot easier and it was easier to get the car out as and when you wanted.

Remember that entry to the Goodwood Revival pits is limited to Goodwood Members only and not to the great unwashed. The joy of NZ Classic events is that paddock and pits access is free and overseas visitors particularly, love that Kiwi/Aussie laid back approach rather than the multitude of "jobsworths" and security staff at European events.

That laid back attitude transcends to some of the classes and that is no bad thing as AMCO points out, cars in their heyday were often extremely tatty and now those with patina even if not 100% original, are accepted instead of being frowned upon.

ERC does about six rounds a season but the cars often do several other events and that is as it should be as it gives them an opportunity to race with or against different drivers/cars and on different tracks. Who would have it any other way?

World Champion
    There was also an appalling fire risk in those big marques, and no way to get cars out should there be a conflagration. Yes I know that spare fuel cans etc had to be stored outside, in a big dump by the door, making for an even bigger Guy Fawkes should a naked flame be present.

Was having a chat to Ernie Nagamatsu, owner driver of 'Old Yeller', and he, jokingly, said.......'I hope no one is smoking in here!!!!!!!

I`m terribly sorry Gerald, I thought we were talking about the NZ Festival of Motor Racing, you must be talking about another failed Festival of the past ....Sweetwaters. What was that old saying, `adventure before dementia'. As for the old cars being heaps of junk, that says a lot about your complete lack of respect and knowledge. Tell Ray Stone his workmanship was shit and see how you go. You for one don`t `get' what HMC is about -end of story. It`s not about being elite, it`s about maintaining a standard worthy of the Festival having some national and international credibility, not some broken arse excuse book for why it's not working. It costs a hell of a lot less to be a spectator at the Festival than it does to be a competitor, but as it`s only once a year people need to get in a financial position to be part of it. If I remember correctly, when I raced in the Nissan Mobil 500 series it was about $1800 entry fee...... but then again it was a pretty special event.
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 03-13-2014 at 02:49 AM.