Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobbys Camaro

Bobbys Camaro

Name:  aloha bobby rose 1.jpg
Views: 7303
Size:  123.3 KB

A slight detour here from the usual theme of this website, but stay with me, I haven’t taken a complete leave of my senses.....yet. It was my good buddy Bruce Thompson who told me about this movie, Aloha Bobby And Rose. It’s a road movie, touted at the time as something of a modern day (it was released in 1975) Bonnie And Clyde. I certainly wouldn’t go that far, and probably wouldn’t watch the movie for its story line. That being said, it was one of the highest grossing American films in 1975, despite being made on a budget of just $60,000. So obviously, there are plenty who loved the film more than I. But the real star, is the Camaro used throughout. This is why I’ve watched it as many times as I have.

Paul Le Mat (John Milner in American Graffiti) gets the lead in this flick. Hes the one who, in the movie, drives the Camaro. Being a car guy, I don’t think the Camaro gets enough air-time, but I would say that! There are a few scenes early in the movie where its put through its paces down Van Nuys Blvd, but I would have loved to have seen more.

From the first time I saw it, I became fascinated by that Camaro. Unlike Le Mats other famous ride, his “piss yellow deuce coupe” in AG, there seems to be very little information available about the Camaro. The vague info I’ve been able to gather, is that the car is a ’67 Camaro updated with ’68 doors and nose. It runs Ansen wheels, and quad-Webers on a 302ci small block. If that’s the case, its possibly a genuine Z28. The motor was said to have been built by Traco.

What I’ve read about the Camaro is that it was originally built up by/for James Garner, to run in the Trans-Am series and/or A-Sedan racing. Is this true? It does have a full rollcage, which Le Mat was quoted as saying was a pain climbing over getting in and out of the car. Garner was running his American International Racing (AIR) team at this time. They raced Lola T70 MkIII coupes and Corvettes. The ‘Vettes, I believe, they built themselves, so you’d think if they were going to race a Camaro, they’d also build that themselves, rather than farming the work out. While there are plenty of photos and info on the AIR Corvettes and Lolas, and some of the other cars the team raced, there is no mention of a Camaro.

The flares the car wore in the movie wouldn’t have been allowed in the Trans-Am, at least not when this car was new. The side pipes would likely have been a later addition also. So, whats the story with this car? Was it really built by AIR? Was it built specifically for Aloha Bobby And Rose? Or was it a street racer that was found and purchased for the movie?

My understanding is that Paul Le Mat now owns the Camaro.

Couple of excerpts from the movie:

World Champion
    Interesting link here Steve - 52 pages of them http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-C...el-Camaro.html

World Champion

Yeah Bry, that car movie website is great isn't it!

A link posted on another thread about whether 1st gen Pontiac Firebirds were fitted with Chevy motors reminds me of the brilliant book Muscle Car Confidential, by Joe Oldham. In it he tested a new '68 Firebird PFST (Sprint Turismo). The car sat quite low, as there were possible plans to homologate some parts from it for the Trans-Am racing Firebirds, so it had to have a Trans-Am style road racing ground hugging stance to make that connection. Oldham he took it along to the local street racing (illegal drag racing) one evening to see what the racers all thought. They felt the car sat too low. They built their cars to sit tall on their suspension, like a drag car. Looking at the Camaro above from the Bobby And Rose flick, it too sits very low, which also makes me think it was possibly built originally for track racing, as it didn't follow the street trends of the time.

Cool car and I loved the movie...I saw it as a wide eyed 10 yr old in Nelson at movies... From what I've read there were two cars built and one was definately a very fast car. Rick Figari the guy who also owns the Graffiti 32' and 55' has the feature Camaro as well , that being the car that was used for close ups and main scenes.

Air cleaner does not look like it is on Quad-Webers ?

Forget the air cleaner/webers guys, open your eye's and look at that beautiful 69 grabber yellow Boss 302 in the back ground!! probably all of 2 grand back then!! in fact the front looks high so its most probably got the motor out!! arr the good old days!!

Dale M
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 07-13-2012 at 07:21 AM.

I haven't watched the movie for a while, but from memory it didn't have the Webers until later .
    Bruce.

The photo above appears to have been taken while the car was sitting on a used car sales lot, so perhaps a single 4-barrel had been swapped in. Then again, I've heard people talk about seeing it in the early '80s with the Webers, so Bruce is probably right, they could have been fitted later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Forget the air cleaner/webers guys, open your eye's and look at that beautiful 69 grabber yellow Boss 302 in the back ground!! probably all of 2 grand back them!! in fact the front looks high so its most probably got the motor out!! arr the good old days!!

Dale M
    Spoken like a true Ford guy!

Weekend Warrior
    Steve,

That car lot was called Performance Classics and was in Eagle Rock, CA between Glendale and Pasadena. It was owned by my friend Dave Miller. Dave tells me he was selling the car for the movie company. The car was a '67, not a '68. It was being sold on ebay in 2004 and I recorded the VIN number from the ad at that time.

"Eat My Dust" starring Ron Howard is another fun movie from the '70s that featured an early Camaro getting into high speed shenanigans.

I know of one back here in the 70s that got upto shenanigans as well (never made the movies/tv thank god) must have been normal for them.

A.I.R, Workshop

AIR,s workshop was an ex Hughes Corporation Quonset building located in Culver City California. The two L-88 Corvettes were the
    first actual 1968 L-88,s built by the factory and were picked up and driven to AIR and modified for racing in house, so they certainly had the knowledge and staff to build the Camaro to Trans Am spec.Name:  img002.jpg
Views: 4765
Size:  53.5 KB
    Last edited by mid-year; 07-13-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Some great info on the AIR Corvettes mid-year. What book is that scan from? And yes, I'd agree, they had the resources to build a Camaro race car had they felt the need to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Mello View Post
    Steve,

That car lot was called Performance Classics and was in Eagle Rock, CA between Glendale and Pasadena. It was owned by my friend Dave Miller. Dave tells me he was selling the car for the movie company. The car was a '67, not a '68. It was being sold on ebay in 2004 and I recorded the VIN number from the ad at that time.

"Eat My Dust" starring Ron Howard is another fun movie from the '70s that featured an early Camaro getting into high speed shenanigans.
    Hi there Jon, thanks for that info. I'd imagine Performance Classics had a steady stream of wide eyed teenagers stopping by to ogle. I love seeing photos from these places. I stumbled upon another photo of the Camaro pictured with a black '69 Camaro with very similar bodywork styling treatment. Not quite sure what the connection was, but interesting none the less. Jon, was the car a genuine Z28?

Yes, I have a copy of Eat My Dust. Not exactly a classic! But entertaining. Possibly one Ron Howard would prefer to forget. The Camaro in that movie was a curious mix of various styles. Has a full cage, blanked out grill, but heavy wheel arch flaring, so definitely not a short track dirt car as it was portrayed in the movie. Do you know anything about this car?

Name:  i289570.jpg
Views: 5356
Size:  41.3 KB

Weekend Warrior
    Steve,

I assume the car below is the other one you are talking about from Performance Classics. I don't know much about it but have asked my friend Dave. He has yet to get back to me.

The red "Aloha" car was not a Z-28. I am a skeptic also when it comes to the possibility that James Garner and AIR had anything to do with it. Garner ran Corvettes at the first race of the '68 season (Daytona 24hr) and then quickly sold them off to run a pair of Lola coupes for Sebring. He also ran an open wheel car with Scooter Patrick driving. Soon after, he concentrated his efforts on off-road racing with some Olds-powered Cutlass specials. There is not one entry in any of the Trans-Am events of the '67-'72 timeframe where AIR or James Garner is listed as an entrant with a Camaro. I've seen a lot of A-Sedan programs as well and never seen that sort of entry either.

As for the "Eat My Dust" car, I believe it is a '67 and not a '68 but other than that, I don't have much other information on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Some great info on the AIR Corvettes mid-year. What book is that scan from? And yes, I'd agree, they had the resources to build a Camaro race car had they felt the need to do so.
    Corvette Racing Legends ...author,Giminez