Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bobbys Camaro

Another great photo there Jon, thanks for sharing. Got any more?

Weekend Warrior
    Sorry, Steve. I don't have any other photos to share at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Mello View Post
    I believe it was 2125 Colorado Blvd.
    Thanks John... and here it is today... Name:  eagle rock shop.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  103.1 KB

Hey Pauly, thanks for posting that. Did you take that photo? Its neat to see some of these places and how they look today. Looks like the front fence is the same, but other than that theres no evidence of what was once there.

Hot Rod Deluxe magazine do a regular feature where they run photos of an important historical place or building relating to hot rodding history, then they show what that place looks like today. It can actually be a little depressing to see!

An illustration I quickly put together for one of the magazines I write for, as I was (and still am) convinced that as there is such huge interest in traditional hot rodding, and building cars in a style to what was built in the '40s, '50s, and '60s, that this would eventually extend and '70s fashion would make a come back also.

Name:  Retro Camaro copy.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  120.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Hey Pauly, thanks for posting that. Did you take that photo? Its neat to see some of these places and how they look today. Looks like the front fence is the same, but other than that theres no evidence of what was once there.

Hot Rod Deluxe magazine do a regular feature where they run photos of an important historical place or building relating to hot rodding history, then they show what that place looks like today. It can actually be a little depressing to see!
    Nah steve got it from a mapsite on the interwebs, although I have driven past it several times on the way home from work (not knowing what it formally was!) when the 210 freeway is clogged....

Thanks Pauly. Its interesting, that place looks so completely antonymous now, so different to what it once was.

Its amazing steve how many places i've driven past around here and my friends will say that used to be blah blah blah... its a real trip... In fact across the street from my workplace is the old Navarro engineering shop... Im glad I got to see it before the new owners remodeled and repainted it. Sorry to to drag this one off topic!

Nah, not off topic. I love unearthing the history of places. How different is the old Navarro building now?

Its the same building steve, just repainted and cleaned up inside... when it was for sale my friend and I got to go in there and although it was empty, you got the vibe that there was some special things that happened in that place..

Yeah I know exactly what you mean Pauly, places like that have a vibe.

Weekend Warrior
    Steve,

I just got two more photos of the red (formerly black) car from Dave Miller. The rear spoiler says Santa Maria Muffler on it. It appears to be a '67 Camaro dash pad that I see through the windshield hence I bet this car also began life as a '67 Camaro like the Aloha car did. This car also appears to have had air conditioning when new based on the black rectangular hole seen on top of the cowl in front of the chromed cowl panel.

-Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks so much Jon, what wonderful photos! There has been so much work go into that car, its really impressive. Looks like they've fit a '69 nose to it, so I assume that must also include the front fenders. There are no quarter windows in the doors so would they have replaced the doors also? I thought at first they'd grafted in a '70 Camaro tail light panel, but I think maybe that panel was made from scratch. Thanks again for posting these Jon.

Weekend Warrior
    Steve,

The whole car is so customized that it's hard to say but I suspect the doors are from a '69 to blend better with the '69 front fenders. The backs of the '69 doors to not have the sharp crease in the middle like the earlier doors so that's why the rear quarters would have required some modification. I agree that the rear panel is custom and not something grafted from a '70 model. Just FYI, Dave Miller sold this car at auction in 1986 and has not seen or heard of it since. I'd think it still survives but can't say that for certain.

Thanks again Jon. I wonder why they didn't just start with a '69? It'd be nice to know if it still exists. Hopefully its sitting quietly in the corner of someones garage.

Steve I always loved that Camaro too .This clip isn't the original but a bloody good replica and the flares are a bit more subtle but it looks and sounds just right.

Thanks Lindsay, yeah that is a cool tribute car. I'd love to know where the original is now. I believe it still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Lindsay, yeah that is a cool tribute car. I'd love to know where the original is now. I believe it still exists.
    Yeah I'm sure I've seen a video of Paul Le Mat talking with the current owner who also owns the Graffitti coupe.haven't been able to find it but heres another Aloha clip.Not a lot of the car but it has a shot under the bonnet showing its got a four barrel for the movie anyway.And I really like the song.

Cool vid there Lindsay. Isn't that Camaro tough! It was put through its paces briefly early on in the movie, I would have liked it if they'd had more street racing scenes.