Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mick Riordan Collection

Semi-Pro Racer

John Smith Ralt RT1

Richard Davsion Hardman JH1
    Last edited by TonyG; 07-16-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Bob Power Kaditcha

John Smith again

Corrected thanks to Bondy;Grahame Blee in a Cheetah Mk6 sometimes called a Cheetah MK6 GE.
    Last edited by TonyG; 07-16-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    John Wright (UK) Lola T400b

Ray Hanger - March 77B

Interestingly entered by March for Danny Sullivan in the 1978 New Zealand International series. Sold to Colin Giltrap and entered by him for Dave McMillan at Baypark Mar 1978 then for Larry Perkins in the 1978/79 series. Raced by Desiré Wilson in the Jan/Feb 1980 series then John Smith in Jan 1981. Sold to Ray Hanger (Australia) and used in the 1981 AF1 and Pacific series. Also raced at Shah Alam in October 1981.

Rob Butcher Lola T330

John Wright (UK) Lola T400

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    I was telling my boss about this site months ago and he had said that he used to take a lot of photos when he lived in Sydney. He said at the time that he would bring some in to show me if he could find them in his packing boxes.

He handed me an old album and said to take it home and scan what I wanted to post here as long as I did not damage the album - mission accomplished! He is sure he has a lot more still in a box somewhere.

As far as I can tell they start at Bathurst 1979 but the shot that throws me is the Bartlett Camaro! It is taken in the exact same spot as all the other shots which match up with the entry list for 1979 but the Bartlett car is not listed in the 79 race.

Bartlett Camaro

Allan Grice A9X

Johnson Coupe
    Tony, hey thanks so much for posting these, they're absolutely awesome! I've been through them several times now. Really cool!

You're right to question the Bartlett Channel 9 Camaro. Basically, Bartlett built this car in 1979 for the upcoming Group C changes that would take place from 1980, where the XD Falcons and Commodores would begin racing. But CAMS were keen to allow the new cars to integrate, thus allowing the 1980 cars to compete from the 1979 Sandown 500 onwards. The Camaro wasn't ready for this event, but was entered for Bathurst 1979 with Bob Forbes partnering Bartlett. But Bartlett had a huge shunt in an F5000 car at Sandown, and suffered leg and ankle injuries and a broekn arm, which put him in a wheelchair. So John McCormack replaced him for the cars debut at Bathurst.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Ahh. Thanks Steve. That makes sense.
    Hopefully Mick can find some more of his photos to bring me.

I love the old Sports Sedan photos. That was right at end of the era when Sports Sedans still drew Touring Car sized crowds, with some real special cars competing. Moffat had moth-balled the Monza in late 1976, then brought it out again once Ford had withdrawn from racing, but by that stage the competition had moved on, and were much faster than they had been in 1976.

Journeyman Racer
    Peter Macrow Cheetah Mk7 father of Tim and Adam leads a spinning John Smith Ralt RT1, Richard Davison Hardman JH1 father of Alex and Will, Terry Finnigan Elfin 792, Colin Jack Birrana 274 and Russell Norden Arbyen..

Journeyman Racer
    I reckon this is Oran Park, 1981 as Davo has #1 on the car after winning the 1980 AF2 Series and Smithy is in the Red OCL livery..
    John Smith Ralt RT1

Richard Davsion Hardman JH1

Journeyman Racer
    These will be from the same Oran Park meeting

Bob Power Kaditcha

Smithy again

Bob Minogue (UK) LolaT430, its actually Grahame Blee in a Cheetah Mk6 sometimes called a Cheetah MK6 GE.

Journeyman Racer
    The kiwi's would have worked out that the Rob Butcher Lola is the ex King Kenny, Chris Milton car and now run by Andrew Robson. The John Wright Lola is the ex John Leffler car now in the hands of Mike Glynn who has had it a long time...

Semi-Pro Racer
    Many Thanks Bondy.
    I was struggling to identify the singleseaters with very little on google to help.
    I thought some of the photos looked more like Oran Park than Amaroo but Mick was sure that they were all at Amaroo in that album. As I had not been to either I was unsure. I was possibly too busy looking at the pics too and missed the bit about Oran Park.
    Regards
    Tony
    Last edited by TonyG; 10-19-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Journeyman Racer
    Many Thanks Bondy.
    I was struggling to identify the singleseaters with very little on google to help.
    I thought some of the photos looked more like Oran Park than Amaroo but Mick was sure that they were all at Amaroo in that album.
    Regards
    Tony
    You're welcome Tony I also noticed the 2 pics of Smithy at Oran Park are different meetings as its in AF2 trim in one shot and Atlantic trim in the other.

Bondy, thanks heaps for filling in the gaps here. Is John Smith the same John Smith who was part of the Toyota Australia touring car efforts in the late 1980s?

Amazing to see the last few big F5000 cars still running, and almost completely devoid of sponsorship signage. By this stage, Australia was about the only place in the world you could still see F5000 cars racing in anger.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Bondy, thanks heaps for filling in the gaps here. Is John Smith the same John Smith who was part of the Toyota Australia touring car efforts in the late 1980s?

Amazing to see the last few big F5000 cars still running, and almost completely devoid of sponsorship signage. By this stage, Australia was about the only place in the world you could still see F5000 cars racing in anger.
    Same Smithy Steve he still runs the Supra on occasion and runs a Lola T440 in Formula Ford in both State level and Historic Meets. At state meets in the Kent class he is often at the front

Thanks Bondy. You've just jogged my memory. I recall seeing Smith racing the Supra at the Muscle Car Masters in 2007. I was talking to Mark Oastler at the time (former AMC Editor) and was quite amazed at how quick that car was. I think he said it either had a very large turbo or that the wick had been turned right up, but either way, it was a real jet, and easily the fastest Group A/C car in the group, while it lasted.

Re those single seater pics from Amaroo, could this be one of the Gold Star events, of which there were only two in 1981. Constanzo won.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Re those single seater pics from Amaroo, could this be one of the Gold Star events, of which there were only two in 1981. Constanzo won.
    Yep its the Gold Star round..

Semi-Pro Racer
    I got handed a wad of about 160 photos by Mick today to scan. I will start on them tonight. Some are double ups of what I have already uploaded but most are new.

Thats awesome Tony, I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Having trouble with scanner at the moment. Will get it sorted at the weekend. Sorry !!!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Uploading these from work. Some of the shots need a lot of work, some are pretty blurry but I will do what I can. Mick is like me and does not throw any shots away but I will post them anyway and do what I can to show as many different cars as I can. I just see them as amazing shots of the good old days. Saving the awesome shots till last. lol.

Allan Moffat Monza and Allan Grice BMW at Amaroo.

Brian Callaghan Falcon CRC300 Amaroo

George Fury Fred Gibson Nissan Bluebird Bathurst 1982 Qualified 10th DNF

Allan Grice BMW Oran Park
    Last edited by TonyG; 10-19-2012 at 09:42 PM.