Thread: Lyttelton Street Race

Lyttelton Street Race

Hi All

Hoping someone can provide me with some info. I remember years ago being taken along to street race around lyttleton port. I cant remember exactly what cars were entered in the event. Was hoping someone can provide some history on the track, what classes ran at the event, how many years did it run for etc.. Any photos would be a bonus! Was there quite a bad accident at the race as I recall hearing a screeching noise followed by a loud bang..i don’t think it was ever run after that….

World Champion
    I posted a video of that event somewhere here on another thread - I'll see if I can find the link

World Champion

Hi Homer,
    The first meeting was SUNDAY 13 11 88 and was a very hot day which played havoc with cars on the grid without starters as the race was new and getting the races away was taking 5 minutes after formation. I cooked the motor! The Cooper Bristols of Jim Boult and Wayne Marsh were there I think and too fast for me. The BCM, ACE111 and 260M were evenly matched and we had great racing.
    Times were 59 seconds. There is a great photo in the following weeks Press of Graeme Hamilton in the ACE and me in the BCM cutting the corner at the top under a verandah. Not sure if this meeting or the next but over the bridge the Stanton dropped its rear diff drive chain with me 1 foot behind and it sure made me pucker until I saw it lay itself on the ground and I passed over it and round the Stanton as it came to a stop.
    THE SECOND MEETING WAS 12 11 89. It was a hot fine and sunny day. I was racing the BCM Special. Times were about 60 sec for the classic single seaters. Both the Coopers were absent. Russell Greer had the Stanton and once in front he was too wide to pass. I had pole but the Stanton got in front and stayed there. The ACE111 had broken its drive train so I had no one to play with except a bothersome anklebiting FF which was lots of fun. Getting the corner right onto the straight after the down hill bit gave you some straight speed to pass. I really enjoy street racing and this was all of that so it was a pity this was the last meeting. I think I was awarded the PDL trophy for best effort by a NZ built special. All I was trying to do was get past Russell.
    A Porsche came to grief but not sure if that was why it did not happen next year. I think it was a matter of logistics. Great wee circuit and part of NZ history of street circuits. Chris Read - Arrowtown. ps -I have a photo but my scanner is US at the moment so will post when going again

Thanks Bry3500 for the vid. I think I may have a copy somewhere as you had to put your name down as I remember. Good times and a great little meeting which I remember well as it required precise driving to keep away from the poles plus we went over a bridge!!!!
    Chris Read-Arrowtown

Wow, thats neat! The section where the vehicles charge over the railway tracks which is also on a bend must have been an adventure on the bikes!

Hi all

Many thanks for the info. definitely brings back some memories! I remember we were trying to sit on one of the shipping containers to watch the race but got told to move.

Love the first frame of the video " Jesus is Lord". What a cheek to hang the Street Race signup in front of that!!!!
    Shame on you organisers. But most street circuits need someone looking over you.

Thats for sure! The slo-mo shots of the vintage racing cars over those bumps made my stomach churn!

Re: reply #4. My scanner is all go and found the photo so for the record here it is ->
    Name:  Lytteton St Race 001.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  69.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Read View Post
    Hi Homer,
    The first meeting was SUNDAY 13 11 88 and was a very hot day which played havoc with cars on the grid without starters as the race was new and getting the races away was taking 5 minutes after formation. I cooked the motor! The Cooper Bristols of Jim Boult and Wayne Marsh were there I think and too fast for me. The BCM, ACE111 and 260M were evenly matched and we had great racing.
    Times were 59 seconds. There is a great photo in the following weeks Press of Graeme Hamilton in the ACE and me in the BCM cutting the corner at the top under a verandah. Not sure if this meeting or the next but over the bridge the Stanton dropped its rear diff drive chain with me 1 foot behind and it sure made me pucker until I saw it lay itself on the ground and I passed over it and round the Stanton as it came to a stop.
    THE SECOND MEETING WAS 12 11 89. It was a hot fine and sunny day. I was racing the BCM Special. Times were about 60 sec for the classic single seaters. Both the Coopers were absent. Russell Greer had the Stanton and once in front he was too wide to pass. I had pole but the Stanton got in front and stayed there. The ACE111 had broken its drive train so I had no one to play with except a bothersome anklebiting FF which was lots of fun. Getting the corner right onto the straight after the down hill bit gave you some straight speed to pass. I really enjoy street racing and this was all of that so it was a pity this was the last meeting. I think I was awarded the PDL trophy for best effort by a NZ built special. All I was trying to do was get past Russell.
    A Porsche came to grief but not sure if that was why it did not happen next year. I think it was a matter of logistics. Great wee circuit and part of NZ history of street circuits. Chris Read - Arrowtown. ps -I have a photo but my scanner is US at the moment so will post when going again
    there was a third meeting 11/11/1990 too