Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geoghegan 1967 Mustang GTA (Replica)

Geoghegan 1967 Mustang GTA (Replica)

Owners : Mike & Rhonda Small - Timaru

This car was built to replicate one of the most famous cars in Australian Motor Racing history - Pete Geoghegan's 1967 Mustang GTA. The original car won the Australian Touring Car Championship in 1967, 1968 & 1969.

Name:  Img_3359.jpg
Views: 3502
Size:  169.3 KB

The idea to build this replica was born in Sydney on 6 December 2009, after seeing the original car on display at the V8 Supercar round. With the help of all the people listed below the idea became reality. The original car is owned by the Wall family in Sydney. The Late Des Wall and his team were most helpful in allowing us to photograph and measure the original car to ensure this replica is as close to the original as possible.

Name:  Img_3361.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  162.6 KB

Specifications :
    • Engine - Ford 302 CI V8
    • Gearbox - Top Loader
    • Diff - 9 inch

Name:  Img_3362.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  176.6 KB

This dream turned into reality with the help and expertise of the following people...

• Graeme Jackson
    • Trevor Parmenter
    • Brian Livingston
    • Ken Cox (Coxy’s Panel Repairs)
    • Resene Automotive (Stu and Bob)
    • Grant Goodall and Brendon Gare (Elite Transport Refinishers)
    • Rob Donaldson ( The Mustang Centre, Christchurch)
    • Matt Jackson
    • Neville Stowell (Linktec)
    • Jarod Parmenter (Auto Gas)
    • John Mason (Timaru Signs and Graphics)
    • Garry Harrison
    • Darcy Bowman, Mark Shane, Mark Johnson, Andrew Larsen and the team at Blastcraft Ltd
    • Allan Dunn (Total Automotive)
    • Robert Murdoch, Bob Morrison, John Voight

...our very sincere thanks to all.

Mike & Rhonda Small

Hi Mike & Rhonda, That is one great looking replica car and a real credit to all of the people involved. I have seen the car race in period and subsequently at recent meetings in Australia. The last time was at Lakeside in mid July and the driver wasn't cruising around either.

What are your intentions for the car - do you intend to exercise it occasionally.

Cheers Mike

Semi-Pro Racer
    Well done...looks great

I wouldnt mind it in my shed....
    Last edited by Ellis; 08-28-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Hi Mike & Rhonda, That is one great looking replica car and a real credit to all of the people involved. I have seen the car race in period and subsequently at recent meetings in Australia. The last time was at Lakeside in mid July and the driver wasn't cruising around either.

What are your intentions for the car - do you intend to exercise it occasionally.

Cheers Mike
    Unfortunately Mike & Rhonda aren't signed up members of the Forum 'yet', hence I posted this on their behalf. But to quote Mike directly, "...We hope to race it later in the year all going well."

Cheers, John

Wow, that thing is right on the money! Very cool!

Weekend Warrior
    looking forward to watching and hearing this master piece in action ..........well done a credit to all involved

That really is an iconic car known to all historic race fans in Australsia. All we need now is the Dawson Mustang in its electric blue scheme with the big # 35 on it.

JB, they " Mike and Rhonda ", must join the forum, car looks brilliant, and as an aside, how is the Cheetah !! ??.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    That really is an iconic car known to all historic race fans in Australsia. All we need now is the Dawson Mustang in its electric blue scheme with the big # 35 on it.
    On the Dawson Mustang, how is it coming on ? Have not seen anything on it since it arrived back in NZ. Has it run yet ?

It's run a few times. In its original white livery. It lives with a family of Mustangs all the same age.
    Article on the collection in latest NZ Classic Car.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Cool. Thanks Rod. Will have to see if I can track it down over here. Still think it was nicer in the Metallic Blue.
    Cheers
    Tony

Agreed Tony, but it has been put back to original.

Owned by Nigel MacDonald, Hawera, a great Classic Car mag article about Nigel and his cars, he's currently happy just racing it in the white but his plan is to put it back to "Dawson" colours!! a VERY historic NZ race Mustang!!! Dale M

Excellent Gary Simkin photos
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Semi-Pro Racer
    Awesome to hear Dale. I think most people think Blue when they hear the Red Dawson Mustang mentioned. I managed to get hold of the Classic cars article. Nice collection. It is a credit to them.
    Regards
    Tony

Semi-Pro Racer
    Just bringing this to the top for young Dale from Tauranga as he is such a busy young fella, looks like a real legal period correct HMC contender, not a rolling advert for aftermarket goodies......

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Just bringing this to the top for young Dale from Tauranga as he is such a busy young fella, looks like a real legal period correct HMC contender, not a rolling advert for aftermarket goodies......
    I saw this in the flesh at the Skope meeting, and being a Timaru lad have heard of its build over the past few years. My understanding is that's its as close to the original as you could reasonsbly expect to get. No fancy late model parts. I believe the 302 is running Lucas injection and pushing around 500hp. It's just got what we all love to see, nice flares, big feet and attitude sitting still!!

That`s right Kyle, it`s got all that and more! A credit to all those involved and when you think David Wall had the real mccoy in the pit garage next door to us at Lakeside last year - and in our HMC parade lap - apart from the numbers and a few other bits it`s pretty close all round, excellent work. If one of the talented South Island sheetmetal guys, i.e Avon Hyde, could roll up some front brake ducts it would look that much closer to the original. Mike, did you take any photos of it in the Lakeside pit garage as a comparison?
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 02-11-2014 at 02:38 AM.

How bout this Steve. Richy (Snoozin) took this photo at the Skope event last weekend of the Mustang in one of its races. The alloy brake scoops have now been added and look awesome.

Name:  12405183474_b4058caf4e_b.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  111.7 KB

Thanks Steve, yeah they are the icing on the cake!

Here are a couple of photos I took of the car at Eastern Creek in 2005

This one is a period shot form the late 1960's

This one from Lakeside in July 2013