Thread: Another new member

Another new member

Hi there,i have been interested in cars from day1,my mum would push my cot againts the window facing the road to watch the cars,she said it kept me entertained for ages.Was bought up in Wanganui as a young fella dad would take me to Ocean Veiw Speedway every sunday at 2.30 in afternoon to watch my heros.When i got older i would pushbike there and jump the fence. . . nothing would stop me.i would collect autographs,bits of paint chips of the speedway cars,they were treasures.One day we got new neighbours he had a Monaro he use to hillclimb it arround wanganui and i would tag along.Over the years have watched circut racing,speedway and drag racing and still go to all these 3 every summer.Now i take alot of photos and will share some of these with you.This is an amazing site and are very happy that i found this. Thank you

Hey Sloper, welcome to The Roaring Season! Its great to have you here. Good to see you already have the knack for posting photos. Just out of interest, what model Monaro did your neighbour have?

The neighbours had a HG 350 Monaro colour green with black stripes,he flared the rear guards and these remained primer coated for as long as i can remember.He used it daily to and from work it always had uncaped headers on it,mum and dad would complain when he drove off but me and my brother would run outside to watch.We lived in Cornfoot St Wanganui which is a long street and i could hear him coming home from work all the way down the road.His name was Llyal Sharrott him and his brothers ownd Wanganui Welldrillers and to this day i think they still might.I live in Auckland now have done last 10 years.My brother took some photos of it when we were at a wanganui hillclimb he lives in Hawera so next time i catch up will try and dig them out.At one of these hillclimbs Brent Bullivant turned up in his Capri that was the only time i saw this car in his hands. . have never forgotten it.Lylal bought a HG sedan pulled the 350 out of Monaro and made a speedway saloon from the sedan it was red number 13,dad said it was a unlucky number. . .he had big crash so stopped racing.Pretty sure 350 went back in Monaro,one day he came home with Rover 3500 and Monaro was never seen again.

Thanks, yeah I'd love to see that!