Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Race Cars

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markec View Post
    You've been busy, all the way to Whakatane and back.
    I trust speed limits were observed to the letter of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Thanks fot the info Wayne. When you mention 'Tony', is that Tony Stewart?
    If so, are the two photos in my previous post of the same car?

Malcolm
    Yes Tony...Yes same car.
    Last edited by Haga; 05-16-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    Re Sierras, I seem to recall the Chocolate Peanut Slab car, was still Dick Johnson green on the inside.
    It is white inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Haga View Post
    Brett still owns the Sierra, at present it is in my shed. I am doing a semi-rebuild of it and turning it into a DJR "tribute" car. Was originally a RS roadcar that got morphed with the remains of a RS500 by Tony. Then Brett installed a lot of GroupA running gear ex DJR 9" Harrop diff, rear suspension, wheels, front end etc. Car was raced for a few years and then parked up 3 years agoish.

I removing fibreglass doors, perspex windows, rewiring, putting wetsump engine back in. etc and putting it back to a more period spec.

Plan is to have it up and running later on in year for classic events only.

Wayne
    thanks for the info Wayne. Keep in touch about this car, it would probably fit quite nicely into the historic touring car class if your man is interested?

Conrad Timms

Russ you acjually have a friend Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    Re Sierras, I seem to recall the Chocolate Peanut Slab car, was still Dick Johnson green on the inside.
    No, it wasn't a Johnson car, and all his Sierras were red anyway. It was at the BMW festival in very original condition.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    OK Dannie Lupp sold the car less motor to Bob Moore in 1973 only the midle of the chassis was gone,{ I believe it grew back to a full chassis at P Bruins Bill Clarke may know moore}Bob raced the car on a small scale untill it was sent to Charley Conway {Hes still going but does not remember it} in 1977 it did not sell so it returned to Whakatane untill Ted arrived up in his Granada car to tow it south ,there appears to be very little of the Cooper retained .Ted payed something like $3200???
    My understanding is that the Rorstan is all Cooper under the skin, apart - as you mention - from the widened cockpit section

I believe the car Peter Bruin built for Bill Clark may have had the original single-seater bodywork, but everything else (including the chassis) was new

Not true David, I built that car for Bill and it the CS 5 gearbox,fuel and oil tanks, wheels and many more parts. What it lacked was a continuing racing history. It is more a Cooper than Leuch's Lister was a Lister.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Haga View Post
    It is white inside.
    No, it wasn't a Johnson car, and all his Sierras were red anyway. It was at the BMW festival in very original condition.

Haga and Gavin. Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously my memory is not what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    thanks for the info Wayne. Keep in touch about this car, it would probably fit quite nicely into the historic touring car class if your man is interested?

Conrad Timms
    Conrad....The historic touring car scene is what we are interested in for this car.....its "serious" racing days are over.

I will post some photos info etc when some more progress has been made.

Wayne
    Last edited by Haga; 05-17-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Silcock View Post
    Not true David, I built that car for Bill and it the CS 5 gearbox,fuel and oil tanks, wheels and many more parts. What it lacked was a continuing racing history. It is more a Cooper than Leuch's Lister was a Lister.
    Thanks for the clarification, Dave. I did think it had a few other original Cooper parts, but was perhaps trying to oversimplify matters

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Russ you acjually have a friend Jamie
    Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy! or should it be Dear Jimmy,
    Great chap Jamie! Never cheated on me, never lied to me, all in all probably the happiest years of my life! Eat you're heart out, we should all be so happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Actually that rings a bell. I think I've had this discussion before with someone. There's a hole in the RF guard (at door handle height, you can see it in the upper photo in post #289) on the Rouse XR4i, that was also on one of Bagnell's Cosworths.

Malcolm

Edit: Googling a few pictures it seems that the Rouse Cosworths also had these holes, not just the XR4is.
    I found some video footage of Andrew Bagnalls Cosworth. It had the hole in the RH front guard, (not LH side like Rouses cars) and everything else I saw about the car suggested it was a newish build, and not a converted XR4Ti.

Conrad

Weekend Warrior
    Here are some photos of the last Bagnell Sierra being built at Meidecke Motorsport in about August 89.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    Here are some photos of the last Bagnell Sierra being built at Meidecke Motorsport in about August 89.
    Great pics Marty, thanks for posting those up! Do you know how many cars (RS500'S) were built by Meidecke Motorsport? Or what became of them?

Weekend Warrior
    The tuesday of Bathurst week 1989. Ross (Stone) has just given the Bagnell car its maiden voyage around the block. Team photo( 8 Kiwis and 1 Pom) and in the truck to Bathurst.

We drove all night, even had snow, unloaded, practiced, Crosby qualified the car in the top 10.

Bagnell drove the car in the shoot out and put it in the wall at the cutting. There was front and rear damage, the tailgate overlapped the rear pillar by about 12 inchs, the rear crossmember had torn one end off. This was repaired after a latenight trip to the carpark, with a hacksaw, where a Hertz truck had its exhaust shortened. The truck exhaust was sleeved inside the crossmember. It was another big night (after the other big nights) finally finishing the car in pit lane and started from pitlane. After a couple of hours the car was back up to eighth when the injector rail broke which was the final touch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Conrod,
    I started there in mid 89, there were 3 then.
    I'm not sure of the others, there was Andys fire at Lakeside which was another. And there were the OXO cars before that, I don't know were they came from but think they were built in Sydney. These shots are from the Nerang QLD workshop.

Hi Marty, always good to see pics like these, especially by someone who was involved with the cars back in the day. Must have been gutting to have the new car badly damaged first time out! I saw it had a fairly good hit at Wellington in 89 or 90, when Bagnall hit the wall on the LH side when negotiating slower traffic. I am guessing the yellow car in the pic is the Kevin Waldock car? If so, that races in NZ and is owned by a guy in Nelson.

This is the car at Hampton Downs in January.

Conrad

Yeap....Waldock car. Owner Brett Stevens...Motueka

I need to correct some details about the Rorstan. I bought it off Bob Moore in 1978. Bob put on a wider front chassis and I have the original Cooper chassis in good condition. The Rorstan still retains the original brakes, suspension, steering, radiator and rea chassis. It has Elfin rear wheels and Brabham fronts. I have spares for both. It has a Hewland HD5 gearbox coupled to a strong Vauxhall motor.When Bill Clarke built his replica he came and took photos of the Rorstan so he should know that it still has many original parts along with it's history. I did not actually pay that price for the Rorstan. it has been a great car for me. I don't know the Kerry Pennell connection.