Thread: Lost Race Cars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Slideways View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the Monaro was originally raced by Ian Easton before Jim Richards, but I'll check. I do know that Jac Jac was the first one to put stars on it, and during the election period he ran the "Vote National" slogan because it was fairly easy for farmers to tell the tax man that Monaro's and associated costs were in fact tractors lol.

This photo is from Ian Easton's personal collection.

I think that the car was originally a tarmac race car from brand new but was crashed while driving it from Levin circuit to Auckland at Tokoroa, and then converted to a speedway car.
    Jac Jac just told me that his car:
    "wasn't Neville Crightons it was raced by Jim Richards and Steve Millen at Levin motor races were they crashed it and repaired to drive it back to Auckland and got written off at tokoroa when they crashed into a lake. Jerry Clayton then turned it into a speedway car for Richards and Millen - I put it in vote national colours during the elections, because I always pick a winner lol"
    Last edited by Go Slideways; 10-02-2017 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Slideways View Post
    Jac Jac just told me that his car:
    "wasn't Neville Crightons it was raced by Jim Richards and Steve Millen at Levin motor races were they crashed it and repaired to drive it back to Auckland and got written off at tokoroa when they crashed into a lake. Jerry Clayton then turned it into a speedway car for Richards and Millen - I put it in vote national colours during the elections, because I always pick a winner lol"
    Jac Jac probably wasn't aware of the Crichton history. The car was so totally different from when it because a speedway car. Its only in recent years this information has become more widely known.