Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Race Cars

Now there's a blast from the past. Innes Tartan soft drinks. Innes Tartan dry ginger ale was the very best ever invented anywhere, full stop.

More great images - the size of the crowds at Pukekohe then are a common feature in a lot of the photos, but when you look at the machinery and the spectacle these great cars offered, well you can understand why people like to watch them.

V8s anyone? Snoooorre.

World Champion
    I don't know if anyone noticed, I only just did, but Don Grindley's RX3 is in the pit lane next to the Algie Alfetta in photo 4 of 103

Yep, I had seen that one. I was trying to identify the car at the rear of the shot on the extreme right, but without any success.

Just above rear roof is the front of that Mk3 Zodiac ute that is in the mini thread, now who's was that and is it still around. The dark blue wagon on very right above Mk3 guard looks like a Anglia Estate, how would you like one of those now.

World Champion
    Lawrence Bruces Camaro maybe?

Ah, good call, you may be right.

Think you are right that sure looks like the Bruce Camaro

Semi-Pro Racer
    I was around & competing in OSCA thru the 70's but I must be having a memory glitch because I cannot place Lawrie Bruce in a Camaro, unless it was the ex Dawson car & during/around the period that Allan Dick/Don Peddie were 'owners'

Yes, Lawrence Bruce did race the ex Dawson car, although it was the late 70s or maybe even the early 80s. The Peddie/Dick partnership bought the car off Dawson in 1975, and had Kevin Haig drive it but I think they only ran it for a season or two. Ken Smith dove it once for them also. Allan Dick told me Don Peddie just turned up one day with the car.

World Champion
    Sorry my keyboard stopped working for a while, That picture is via Mike Feisst through the www.motorsportarchive.com Now my memory here is a little vague but when the 81/82 show got to Manfield there was a shop in Palmerston and the McElrea Cortina and the Bruce Camaro were exhibited. I think it was either in Porter Square or King Street in PN. But thats a great shot of the Camaro and also on that site is a pic of John Osborne followed by Bruce rounding up an RX2

Semi-Pro Racer
    A,Ha, 1982, that would explain it, I was still recovering from the exertion of chasing 'flubber' cheques around the southern half of the South Island about then....
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 07-02-2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: emoti-con

Yes, the Alwyn Marshall Lotus-Cortina is still in the Bay of Plenty. I owned it in Tauranga for about 10 years or so in the 1980s and will be going to see it's current owner on my return to NZ in two months time.

David, do you have any photos of the Cortina?

ralph "went off" at wigram i think, and pretty much wreaked the car. (and this is off the top of my head)
    Pretty sure the 5 litre motor whent to the Windelborns for the T400 lola.

previous post in reference to the mossman viva chev

World Champion
    Speaking of the Windlburns, once again I have a vague recollection of John running what I thought was some form of Holden pre Commodore in the early 80's would have been around the same time as the B&H pics I posted from Manfield, so that would have been either 80 or 81

Statesman auto i think

World Champion
    Sounds familiar, Black, remember seeing it at the circuit but thats all, do not remember him racing it, but mind you I'd have been 7 or 8, and while alot of my memories from that time a still very vivid, a lot of the peripheral cars that did not compete at the televised events are not imbedded in my mind

Yep, you got it. The Windleburns raced a Statesman during the 1982/83 B&H endurance season, but this was the first year of the NZ made SS Commodores which were completely dominant and the Statesman wasn't a contender.