Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Race Cars

Obviously looks like it had high roll centres compared to the Williment car !

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    Attachment 4474

Time to revist the start of the thread and Wayne Fuller ,here chasing Richards hard at Bay Park
    Hey, cool photo! Thanks Bob.

Journeyman Racer
    Good to hear from you Shirley, must catch up.
    Bung Singh

I saw the sleepyhead capri in a backyard on Reeves road in Pakuranga around 1980. From memory the body moulds were there too.

Semi-Pro Racer
    If you saw the Sleepyhead Capri in Reeves Road Pakuranga that was were Bill Leckie lived. I used to live not far from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Racefan View Post
    I saw the sleepyhead capri in a backyard on Reeves road in Pakuranga around 1980. From memory the body moulds were there too.
    Thats interesting! Can you recall if it was a complete car, with wheels, engine etc, or just a bodyshell? If you saw it in 1980, its possible it wasn't at Bills place, because he told me he stripped it not so long after its last race (in early 1977), because there was nowhere for it to compete anymore. Its parts were of more value individually than that of the whole sum.

World Champion
    Name:  Odlins Fiat at Pukekohe Hairpin.jpg
Views: 2786
Size:  42.8 KBName:  Odlins Fiat 124.jpg
Views: 2982
Size:  40.3 KBName:  Glenn McIntyre, Fiat 124, Pukekohe, January 1973.jpg
Views: 2781
Size:  40.6 KB

Hi guys, dual question. What became of this car? What was its performance/results like. It was obviously a bit of an orphan.

It was at least a roller could have been 1978,79 house was on corner of reeves and udys road you could see into the back yard driving along reeves road.

Thanks Racefan, it does sound like it could have been at Bills place then. He told me he stripped it right down, sold the motor and all the mechanicals, which were all F5000 items, and the body and molds ended up with a backyard car wrecker. But it wouldn't have had any wheels on it if you'd seen it at the car wreckers place so must have been at Bills.

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post

Hi guys, dual question. What became of this car? What was its performance/results like. It was obviously a bit of an orphan.
    Good question! I think it was built for the 4.2 litre series wasn't it?

World Champion
    Not really sure Steve, it was Dads pics of it, I believe were taken at Pukekohe January 73, nearly 8 months before I was born. The only other pics I have seen of it were the ones that have posted on this site.

Wasn't it the Glen McIntyre Odlins Fiat 124 Coupe? From memory it looked different and was nicely prepared but a mid-pack runner.

World Champion
    Yeah it is the Fiatbut aprt that and knowing McIntyre as the driver, I know nothing about it. Looked magnificent. But I know nothing beyond that unfortunately.

Yeah it is the Fiatbut aprt that and knowing McIntyre as the driver, I know nothing about it. Looked magnificent. But I know nothing beyond that unfortunately.
    Think the Fiat ended up with Robert Bartley driver of the Triang. A friend brought the spare motor off Glen McIntyre and installed it in a Fiat 125 T

Wasn't there plans at one stage to put a alloy V8 olds or similar engine into it ,I also seem to remember some involvement with PDL around that time ,PK might remember .from memory did it also use McLaren front uprights and wheels

I UNDERSTAND JIM RICHARD DROVE THE LECKIE CAPRI, BECAUSE THERE WAS SOMETHING UP WITH THE INPUT SHAFT AND THE HUB IN THE CLUTCH ON HIS CAR.

Yep, Custaxie, you're right. JR did drive the Leckie Capri, and broke the Puke lap record and I think he even beat Nazer in the Victor. Pretty sure it was a one-off drive.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Agree to both
    Are you sure old fella? Recall Slater racing a hardtop (fastback) but this one?

Reply and tell me I'm a F---Wit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    I don't know how many Terrapins were built worldwide, but these are ones I know of in NZ

1: Mk1. Kevin Ingram from 1971, initially as KBI Terrapin (won 1975 and 1977 Hillclimb Gold Stars, third 1976), Lyn Hatton 1978-79, Wayne Sendall (second in 1980 Hillclimb Gold Star), Ross Cameron 1982-85;sold to Steve Marks, but later bought back again
    2: Mk1 built by Jon Warring 1971 - second in 1973 Hillclimb Gold Star, Daryl Seymour second in 1979 Gold Star, third 1977. Retains ownership
    3: Mk1 built c1971 by Robert Stephenson of Dannevirke; competed in southern NI events as the Loumac. Believed still owned by Stephenson
    4: Owned by Lindsay McCutcheon later 1980s - ex-Stephenson?
    5: Mk1 completed 1990s in Whangarei and bought a few years ago by Graeme Farr of Wellington. Is this the car Gray Richards now has?
    6: Mk1 built for historic racing by Stu Borland of Dunedin c2000
    7: later version built in late 1970s or early 1980s originally with Saab engine and one-off bodywork reminiscent of a contemporary F3 car. Imported by Mike Ripper who fitted a Renault Gordini engine. Later (still?) owned by Rodney Atchinson.
    8: Sports version. Bruce Wells 1985, later to Russ Cunningham and then John van Rijn
    Hi Dave,

The car I owned I bought from Peter Parnell in the 70's and sold to a chap by the name of Paul Te Puna from the VCCC. Apologies Paul if I've mispelt your name. I think that this was the car that Jacque Van Vels later raced with a Kawasaki motor in the sports car class. Recall selling Jacque a trailer which on the way to his home somehow disconnected itself from the drawbar and wiped out a couple of cars in his street. Nice guy, Jacque.

Peter P. and I have been in touch recently so I'll ask him who owned it before I bought it. He's fairly elderly now and may not remember. Actually! I have no idea why I bought the blasted thing. Probably for the Armstrong shocks, or maybe I was just pissed. I'll dig out a photo and post it when I get a new scanner. The present one crapped out while I was doing a brain scan on my old girlfriend. You know? the one from Paris - cheap at half the price.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DCOE View Post
    Think the Fiat ended up with Robert Bartley driver of the Triang. A friend brought the spare motor off Glen McIntyre and installed it in a Fiat 125 T

So given that and given this entry list Malcolm supplied in the NZ Sports Sedans DAtabase I have questions.

Name:  Pukekohe 6th January 1979.jpg
Views: 2620
Size:  47.7 KB

This is 6 yearrs after the meeting at which my father took the photographs of McIntyres 124, what happened to it during that time, was it just garaged and set aside? and what happened to it after Robert Bartleys ownership?