Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Race Cars

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Wow nice bit of gear. Beautiful tidy workshop too.
    Yea, Ralph is a very tidy type and does some fantastic work, note the condition of the Willis workshop in other thread and presentation of gear is very similar, they all knock around together and share knowledge (which there is a heap of)

Weekend Warrior

FIAT 850 Chevette Update

Hello all

I am new to the site but thought I should add value where I can.

Attached is a picture of the aforementioned Fiat 850/Chevette, from the SATIATOR archives, that was taken by me at the Port Road drags either in the late 70's or early 80's.

http://www.theroaringseason.com/atta...&thumb=1&stc=1

At the time I was told it ran a Rover v8 on a Maxi gearbox but that may or may not be the case.

Cheers

Kevin Gill
    Wellington
    New Zealand
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Satiator:- Gary Hastings built the neat car and yes you are right about engine and gearbox. i beleive he changed to a Tasman gearbox in early 80s. Clever bit of car as mentioned before, with engine mount east-west and drive to gearbox by chain set up. Went alright.

Thanks Kevin, great to see you on here!

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    Yes I agree - it almost looks like 2 cars welded together. Chevette front and Fiat rear
    A few years back I found the shell of Garys' car and gave the contact to him. He was going to rebuild it, but I don't know what happened after that.
    The Falloon Anglia is with Murray Whitehead (used to be Mr POR 15) and has been well restored. Even has the original bible in the glovebox!

any picks of the Anglia oldfart

Oldfart:- Any chance of you emailing any contact info Gary and who has the car, be appreciated. Gary is a neat guy and I would love to catch up with him.
    Email grimmie64@xtra.co.nz
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Oldfart:- Any chance of you emailing any contact info Gary and who has the car, be appreciated. Gary is a neat guy and I would love to catch up with him.
    Email grimmie64@xtra.co.nz
    thanks
    Sorry Rod it's a few years since I saw Gary last and a year or two more before that that I saw the car. Would love to have helped.

Anyone know what has happened to any of the "lost" Terrapins or MER?

Am still wondering the fate of this car, originally built by Wayne Fuller in the early '70s. Can anyone help?

Name:  fuller1.jpg
Views: 3428
Size:  65.6 KB

Semi-Pro Racer

"Lost" Terrapins and MER

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Sorry Rod it's a few years since I saw Gary last and a year or two more before that that I saw the car. Would love to have helped.

Anyone know what has happened to any of the "lost" Terrapins or MER?
    Which Terrapins are lost? Robert Stephenson's car is still in existence. Gray Richards has the car built in Whangarei and still actively uses it. Darryl Seymour still has his car. There is at least 1 Terrapin in Blenheim, possibly the Lyn Hatton car. How many others should there be? Years ago I found a front corner off one at a scrap metal dealer's in Hastings so there must have been one here.
    I had an MER sports racer until a couple of years ago. I sold it to Alan Pepper (the original owner of Matamata Engineering) who has subsequently sold it to Ray Hawke. Ray has the ex Len Perry sports MER as well. An MER single seater was with Kevin O'Hanlon in Matamata. He may still own it.

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Which Terrapins are lost? Robert Stephenson's car is still in existence. Gray Richards has the car built in Whangarei and still actively uses it. Darryl Seymour still has his car. There is at least 1 Terrapin in Blenheim, possibly the Lyn Hatton car. How many others should there be? Years ago I found a front corner off one at a scrap metal dealer's in Hastings so there must have been one here.
    I had an MER sports racer until a couple of years ago. I sold it to Alan Pepper (the original owner of Matamata Engineering) who has subsequently sold it to Ray Hawke. Ray has the ex Len Perry sports MER as well. An MER single seater was with Kevin O'Hanlon in Matamata. He may still own it.
    How many Terrapins were ever built?
    MER, there is a bit of "discussion" about them!

Semi-Pro Racer
    I don't know how many Terrapins were built worldwide, but these are ones I know of in NZ

1: Mk1. Kevin Ingram from 1971, initially as KBI Terrapin (won 1975 and 1977 Hillclimb Gold Stars, third 1976), Lyn Hatton 1978-79, Wayne Sendall (second in 1980 Hillclimb Gold Star), Ross Cameron 1982-85;sold to Steve Marks, but later bought back again
    2: Mk1 built by Jon Warring 1971 - second in 1973 Hillclimb Gold Star, Daryl Seymour second in 1979 Gold Star, third 1977. Retains ownership
    3: Mk1 built c1971 by Robert Stephenson of Dannevirke; competed in southern NI events as the Loumac. Believed still owned by Stephenson
    4: Owned by Lindsay McCutcheon later 1980s - ex-Stephenson?
    5: Mk1 completed 1990s in Whangarei and bought a few years ago by Graeme Farr of Wellington. Is this the car Gray Richards now has?
    6: Mk1 built for historic racing by Stu Borland of Dunedin c2000
    7: later version built in late 1970s or early 1980s originally with Saab engine and one-off bodywork reminiscent of a contemporary F3 car. Imported by Mike Ripper who fitted a Renault Gordini engine. Later (still?) owned by Rodney Atchinson.
    8: Sports version. Bruce Wells 1985, later to Russ Cunningham and then John van Rijn

Semi-Pro Racer
    You are "right on the money" again David (as per usual) with a couple of minor exceptions.
    Lindsay McCutcheon never owned a Terrapin. He did drive Robert Stephenson's car on a few occasions.
    The ex Whangarei/Graeme Farr car is indeed the one now owned by Graham (Gray) Richards.
    There was another "modern" Terrapin owned by an eye surgeon from Canterbury. It was involved in a major crash at the SFOS last year and may well have been written off.
    Errol Norris has the beginnings of a car he started building many years ago.
    I have a chassis built by the Sivewrights (father and son) in Havelock North in the late 70's.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thanks for the McCutcheon clarification, rf
    Relieved I was right on the others

Weekend Warrior
    Bob it was a Fiat 850 body, chevette front end, rangerover motor east west in the back on an Austen 1800 gearbox! It dropped a rod @ Puke during practice an sat in the garage for a while! Gary then sold it off to someone out West in Auckland. Some years later while living in Kerikeri someone told us where it was in a paddock out there, and Gary eventually got it back. He then gave it to a guy named Mike who was going to do something with it for speedway or stockcars in Kaikohe. Don't know if he ever did! They were real fun times racing. Gary now lives @ Red Beach, and I live in Waipawa CHB. Our son Cameron is a car painter in Wanganui.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    Attachment 1273

Gary Hastings V8 powered Fiat 850 at Bay Park ,not sure what happened to that car ,the transmission set up in that car was a bit different,some body will remember what the transmission was ?

I've just watched a DVD called Kaikohe Demolition. If that car went to the speedway in Kaikohe there is no chance it has survived. (Pretty entertaining DVD but it's about crashing cars into each other until they will move no more. Ever.)

Hello Shirley, so good to hear from you after all these years. Still talk about old days and have a good laugh. Will have to catch up some time. I will still live up north so if you and family want a holiday give me a call. Would love to catch up with the little fella sometime as well. Cheers
    grimmie64@xtra.co.nz

Shirley,great to hear from you again ,its been a long time between drinks !,Yes they were some good times back then,battling the odds ,catch up some time on email,homewood@ihug.co.nz

Hi Shirley, great to hear from you. It was me who told Gary where it was. Sean was asking the other day about Cameron. Good to hear he's doing well and you too. Sean off to Triumph M'cycles as a design engineer in January.

Name:  Top.jpg
Views: 3245
Size:  57.9 KB

Time to revist the start of the thread and Wayne Fuller ,here chasing Richards hard at Bay Park