Thread: Gerry Marshall In Baby Bertha

Gerry Marshall In Baby Bertha

This is a clip of Gerry Marshall at Oulton Park in Baby Bertha..rare in car footage.. wonderful stuff.

"come on.. give me a sign.." lol

its obviously from a Duke video but only a short youtube available clip so I hope its OK to post it here?
    Last edited by faminz; 05-12-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Thats a sensational piece of footage! Gerry Marshall was a hell of a driver. He was a big fellow, and he man-handled his race cars, yet he possessed a light touch that kept his cars drifting gracefully through the curves. Reminds me a bit of the Aussie driver Pete Geoghegan, another big man.

During the '60s, Marhsall raced a Ford V8 powered TVR Griffith. Quite how the big guy managed to even squeeze his frame into the tiny TVR is imprressive in itself, as the Griffith had a very short 84" wheelbase. He enjoyed a lot of success in that car.

Name:  Gerry Marshall Griffith.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  121.6 KB

I was at the above race at Oulton Park. One of the best races I've seen.
    Andy

Would have been a thrill to see the big man in action Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I was at the above race at Oulton Park. One of the best races I've seen.
    Andy
    Andy, would you happen to have any old magazine articles about either Big Bertha or Baby Bertha you could post here?

Steve, only what I've read in Gerry's two books. How would I be for Copyright? If I mention Gerry and the author Jeremy Walton do you think that would be enough. I could put something on 10tenths website and ask Gregor Marshall if it 's ok.
    Andy

Thanks Andy, yes I'd certainly post something on 10tenths. Old book and magazine scans appear on forums all around the world and help us all to join the dots when it comes to bringing historical detail together, but if its possible to ask permission to post a scan thats always preferable.

Semi-Pro Racer
    ...in fact failure to do so is an offence punishable in law

Hi, Maybe I could e-mail Gregor on Gerry's Website.
    Andy.

I have a couple of scans I was given by a mate..
    Name:  Marshall drrop snoot.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  124.8 KB
    Name:  Marshall Baby Bertha.jpg
Views: 2974
Size:  126.0 KB
    Name:  marshall Ventora.jpg
Views: 7356
Size:  63.9 KB

Nice Photos. Baby Bertha photo from Silverstone I think. Which circuit was the photo of Old Nail taken?
    Andy

Andy, what happened to Big Bertha? Wasn't it destroyed in a crash? Did anything of it survive?

Nice Photos. Baby Bertha photo from Silverstone I think. Which circuit was the photo of Old Nail taken?
    Andy
    sorry, no idea of track... he just gave me the pics to scan..
    However I now have the whole DVD "Winning aint easy" which includes the short film "Theres only one Gerry" from which the youtube clip at the top of this thread was taken.. great stuff.. might be able to rip a clip or two more if anyone's interested tho its probably ALL on youtube somewhere anyway.

Hi, Maybe I could e-mail Gregor on Gerry's Website.
    Andy.
    Gregors Mum passed away over the weekend ,thoughts are with him at this time

Ahhh, thats sad news Bob, thanks for letting us know.

World Champion

World Champion

World Champion
    nd while Gerry was playing with Baby Bertha, Basil van Rooyen in South Africa was driving this. Z28 powered Chevy Firenza