Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merv Neill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Merv Neill

I believe Merv Neill passed away yesterday. Another good man gone.

World Champion
    2 Shots from my fathers collection

Ray New, Ronnie Moore Merv Neill and Ken McKinley
    Name:  Ray New, Ronnie Moore, Merv Neil & Ken McKinley.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  192.3 KB
    Merv Neill about to fall at Palmerston North Speedway
    Name:  Merv Neil about to fall - PN Speedway.jpg
Views: 1710
Size:  147.4 KB

Sad to hear of these legends passing. Remember watching Merv Neill when I was a young fella, think Merv drove a Charger in B&H as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Sad to hear of these legends passing. Remember watching Merv Neill when I was a young fella, think Merv drove a Charger in B&H as well.
    Yes he did, in 1974. With his co-driver David Owen he finished fourth and was later promoted to third after the Leonard/Sprague Charger was disqualified.

Name:  Neil Charger 74.JPG
Views: 1570
Size:  63.0 KB

Great pic - He also did a pretty good job in an XU1

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Great pic - He also did a pretty good job in an XU1
    Yea thought he had a play in a XU1, did he do the Glenvale 200 at Baypark.

Merv also did the 1971 B&H with Tim Bailey in a Valiant V8.

His daughter Christine competed at the 1974 meeting, driving a Fiat 128 in the Castrol GTX race. Steve Emson was another 128 driver in that race.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Merv. Neil [Cooper-Climax T39] was the winner of the main race at the first national race meeting at Teretonga Park 30 November 1957. Ernie Sprague was second [Maserati 4CLT]
    There is a nice photo of Merv. page 45 Teretonga 25 book. Maybe Mrs Neil as well?

Milan, At the funeral Christine said Merv had talked her into racing with a photo of her and Merv at the front of the 128.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I was at that meeting and I remember Steve and Christine racing those three wheeling 128s From memory I think Christine was sponsored by Hullabaloo or similar which was a fashion shop in Queen Street.

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    I was at that meeting and I remember Steve and Christine racing those three wheeling 128s From memory I think Christine was sponsored by Hullabaloo or similar which was a fashion shop in Queen Street.

She was indeed sponsored by Hullabaloo -Top Gear For Fast Ladies.

Name:  Neil 128.JPG
Views: 1225
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  Emson 128.JPG
Views: 1268
Size:  39.3 KB

Steve Emson displaying the three-wheeling style of the 128.

World Champion
    from other images this seems a very familiar angle for Steve, about the only car of Steves on here I haven't seen in 3 wheel pose is the Modus.

I remember Merv racing the Red XU1 against Dad. Christine was a great little driver in the 128 at Pukekohe.
    I had to run my car with the full exhaust on it because I was racing it in the Benson & Hedges 500 with John Woolf straight afterwards. All the others had the exhaust off giving another 7-10hp
    The other guys in the race did not see which way she went! I think she had a little off at Levin and didn't race again after that.

Hi all - thanks for the very kind messages after my Dad passed away. I actually finished the season and Dad & I were planning to race together in the B&H however my personal life took a change and I started a family. The accident in Levin was just a blip on the radar which caused some problems for me when I rolled at a practice day in Pukekohe (not doing the car any good!). I have fond memories of my short racing experience - it sure was a different world being a woman driver in the 70's!

Hi Christine,

Sorry if I got that a little wrong. I don't remember all the details with the 128's, just bits and pieces that I do remember quite well for various reasons.
    You certainly drove the car very well at Pukekohe in that first round. It was a great effort and the other competitors did not see which way we went when we were out front together. I hope you did enjoy yourself that day. I think you told me once that you did have fun. I wonder whether you felt any additional pressure to do well for two reasons. Being the daughter of a well known successful Dad, and secondly being a female? Being the son of a well known Dad I can share that with you. Also my good mate John Woolf & also Grant Sprague shared that situation.
    I think that with John and me, there wasn't anything from the Dad's, but we just wanted to drive as fast as we could. I remember your Dad racing the red XU1 against my Dad. Sorry to hear the sad news. He was a great competitor. I hope you and your family is doing great! My best regards to you,
    Steve

PS I am now a Grandad, now that is pretty special!

Name:  rsz_img_0026_new.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  94.7 KB

Here is pic of my old car, It spent a lot of time on 3 wheels as they all did!
    Name:  rsz_ist_time_around_this_corner.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  107.4 KB
    Last edited by Steve Emson; 06-17-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Christine , very sorry to hear about yr dad ,I do remember the NEIL name well but was a little young at that time to mix & mingle with the bigger boys [coming from the south island], & those little fiat 128,s what amazing little cars , we have something in common , & Steve [WAS]just about to join our twosome club but did not quite tip his over by the looks of Steve,s pic. BUT CLOSE
    Steve I have all those piks of my old blue 128 ,plus others I will post but really want to add the one of us two side by side at B/P, I spent a good two hours compiling some but want the one of us two it will turn up , I think we both had long hair lol. AND STEVE CONGRATS FOR BEING A GRANDAD so cool for you , my oldest is 13 & is only about 2 inches shorter than me & drop dead pretty like her Mum , she started driving at home was 10 at the time in an old station wagon trade in , was thinking the go cart thing & decided against it .
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 06-17-2013 at 08:30 AM.

1974 Photos

Name:  Neil.Gray.Chargers.B.H.1974.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  Merv.Neil.B.H.1974.000.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  Emson.Neill.GTX.1974.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  Fiat.128s.GTX.1974.copy.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  61.6 KB

Hi Gang Never met the man but I did race his Cooper Bobtail Jamie A

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Hi Gang Never met the man but I did race his Cooper Bobtail Jamie A
    Is that the one Grant Bloore had for a while? If not what was the history of his, and where did it go?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Is that the one Grant Bloore had for a while? If not what was the history of his, and where did it go?
    According to Graham Vercoe's book the Lawrences owned both bobtail Coopers at one stage, and built up a good and a not-so-good car out of the parts.

Here is Merv Neil at a Ramarama hillclimb late 1958 (I think). Jamie's car had Cooper 500 wheels, unlike these "banana" ones, but I think it's the same chassis.

I have some colour slides from 1960-61 Ardmore GP meeting sports car Le Mans starts. I will look through them and see which Coopers can be identified. Drivers like Colin Ngan, Doug Lawrence, Merv Neil again.

Stu