Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merv Neill

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Is that the one Grant Bloore had for a while? If not what was the history of his, and where did it go?
    According to Graham Vercoe's book the Lawrences owned both bobtail Coopers at one stage, and built up a good and a not-so-good car out of the parts.

Here is Merv Neil at a Ramarama hillclimb late 1958 (I think). Jamie's car had Cooper 500 wheels, unlike these "banana" ones, but I think it's the same chassis.

I have some colour slides from 1960-61 Ardmore GP meeting sports car Le Mans starts. I will look through them and see which Coopers can be identified. Drivers like Colin Ngan, Doug Lawrence, Merv Neil again.

Stu

Thanks Stu, but as with most people, while being very grateful that Vercoe did his book, I would be very reluctant to quote it as a reliable source. I will contact Shag and ask. Still one of my very favourite cars.

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    According to Graham Vercoe's book the Lawrences owned both bobtail Coopers at one stage, and built up a good and a not-so-good car out of the parts.

Here is Merv Neil at a Ramarama hillclimb late 1958 (I think). Jamie's car had Cooper 500 wheels, unlike these "banana" ones, but I think it's the same chassis.

I have some colour slides from 1960-61 Ardmore GP meeting sports car Le Mans starts. I will look through them and see which Coopers can be identified. Drivers like Colin Ngan, Doug Lawrence, Merv Neil again.

Stu
    Peach Hill Road ,Ramarama ,yes 1958,the road is still there but sealed these days and straightened out ,bears very little resemblance to how it did in the Hill Climb days ,the Foster boys used to live up the same road just above where the hill climb finished and of course the D type Jag resided there to for more than a few years, Stu out of interest do you have any more photos of that climb I would appreciate them for something I am writing ,that was only about a mile away from where I lived in those days and perchance just over the hill from where I live now, some time I will get a couple of photos of how it looks now ,

I have just been speaking with one of the Lawrence family. Yes they had 2 cars, one was better than the other and got the better bits from the second to make it the better of the 2. The Grant Bloore car was the second, and got it's Ford motor after the Climax blew at Ohakea. Various bits went back and forward apparently.

Hi gang yes my car was the No2 car with the 1100cc motor I got some sleves and pistons from Duge L to take it out to 1220cc ti was A brilant car Douge told me that he felt it was the better car as it handled best of the 2 Jamie A