Thread: Roly Levis - Lotus 22 - 1964

Roly Levis - Lotus 22 - 1964

Does anyone have any photos of the Lotus 22 Roly ran in 1964?

The car is being restored back to Formula Junior spec as it ran in the UK and Europe with Jonathan Williams for the Anglo-Swiss Team in 1963. The colour scheme for the team appeared to be black with a red stripe and it would be interesting to know if Roly continued with the colour scheme when he raced the car in NZ.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Only a couple of my own very amateurish efforts. First is in practice for the 1964 GP, the other at Napier later the same season. Car was black with a red noseband

Apologies for the quality - I never was much of a photographer.

I wouldn't be surprised if stubuchanan had a colour photo...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks David. This link is the colour scheme of the Anglo-Swiss Team (Jonathan Williams and Piers Courage) in their F3 Lotus 22 in 1964 : http://www.flickr.com/photos/f3promo...n/photostream/
    The team Lotus 22 Formula Junior was sold to Roly Levis in late 1963. David's black and white photos look like it could be a black body with a red nose band?

Hi Roger, I have a strong feeling that there is a color photo in one of the Shell annuals (which I lost in a previous life) and I think you are right about black with red, though a very deep red. David says that in his reply

Hi Rhys, I've had a look through the Shell Annuals (up to 1965) but can't find any photos of the Lotus 22. Roly only had it from late November 1963 to July 1964 when it was sold to Southward Engineering for Kerry Grant.
    You're right about David already mentioning the colour scheme - I suppose at just before midnight I was too keen to get to bed and didn't properly read what David had written

If you are on facebook search for Grant Levis (Rolys nephew) he has lots of Roly Levis Photo,s on there.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Only a couple of my own very amateurish efforts. First is in practice for the 1964 GP, the other at Napier later the same season. Car was black with a red noseband

Apologies for the quality - I never was much of a photographer.

I wouldn't be surprised if stubuchanan had a colour photo...
    Thanks for the wake-up email David.

This is a detail of a colour slide which didn't stand the test of time too well. Seems to have barnacles growing over it, probably a result of moist Auckland climate!

Was this Levis's first run in the car? It was an add-in on the programme.

Stu

Thanks Stu for the photo - much appreciated.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Was this Levis's first run in the car? It was an add-in on the programme.
    No, must be either February or March. Those were the only meetings Thomasen raced the low-line Cooper at Pukekohe. I don't have programmes for either meeting - if Thomasen was No.8 at only one of them we could pin-point which meeting it was

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    No, must be either February or March. Those were the only meetings Thomasen raced the low-line Cooper at Pukekohe. I don't have programmes for either meeting - if Thomasen was No.8 at only one of them we could pin-point which meeting it was
    Definitely Feb 22nd NSCC Meeting. I used up the whole film - Jim Boyd had an "off" in the Valour (one of several, I recall) and it came back to the pits on a trailer. I will post a couple more pictures tomorrow if I have time.

Stu

PS : I see I was wrong about "first meeting in the Lotus 22". It's all such a long time ago!

This Lotus was purchased by Auckland Star journalist John Wilson who spent a family inheritance on memorable parties in Auckland and the Manawatu and dabbling in motorsport. He had the car prepared by Stuart Lister and colleagues at his Anglesea Street, Hamilton garage and the Lotus had numerous midnight test runs at speed around the back streets of Hamilton's business district. Motordrome Racing Team member Brian Innes leased the Lotus for his one-off single-seater race during which he crashed at Pukekohe, resulting in his 'Lotus limp'.

Hi Gentlemen,

I am the lucky fellow who is restoring this car and your info has been a great help.
    The car has had a number of shunts over the years and these are evident in the frame as I can see the different repairs in the type of welding and material used.

I have a photographic record of everything I have done so far , PM me and I'll send you a link to the webpage.

Regards

Mark

Try these photos. I think they may be the Levis car.Name:  IMG_0001 (Large).jpg
Views: 878
Size:  83.8 KBName:  IMG_0009 (Large).jpg
Views: 819
Size:  82.9 KBName:  IMG_0012 (Large).jpg
Views: 768
Size:  81.9 KBName:  IMG_0024 (Large).jpg
Views: 759
Size:  106.8 KB