Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Photos Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I don't know anything about this. Just saw it on Facebook and had to share it here. Its awesome!!!

Attachment 27902
    I saw that too and think it looks neat.
    Not too sure about this V12 Lamborghini powered Fiat though...

Name:  11045017_879629065416376_3186755194864935843_n.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  28.2 KB

This was at a Christmas meeting at Bay Park circa the late '70s.They were short of big banger saloons and they rung in 2 visting American saloon cars from the stockcar meeting to run in the field.They had no windows a la stockcars,they also only had 2 or 3 speed gearboxes,they were set up to turn left,and they weren't very competive.
    If you drop the photo on Magors stockcar sight someone will put a name to them.

If that's the case then that could be Ron Kendall in RX3 a week before it became a production car at Waikaraka Park. Was easy conversion out with plastic windows, off with flares, lights already out, weld doors, slicks with couple of grooves onto steel wheels for first nights then wets. had some fun with that little car. big boys used to bully when being passed, (often) but all part of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 03-09-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    There used to be a Bambina in Cust, with a Porsche 356 motor in it, way back when......

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    There used to be a Bambina in Cust, with a Porsche 356 motor in it, way back when......
    Mine had a Renault Gordini engine back in 68

Mine had a 650cc Nardi conversion that went quite well. It would keep up with my mate's Mk 1 Zephyr up to 40 mph.

Here is an interesting photo I found on Facebook. Note, its right hand drive. It wasn't uncommon for new American cars to be imported into NZ during the '50s and beyond, a lot of farmers ordered them, among others. But most of the ones I've seen have been four door models. This is a two door hardtop. It was posted by David Gibson, with the following description:

A little something from the Archives of a relative, that was passed on to me...
    Visiting Auckland back in '63 he saw this '56 and snapped it.
    I expect it was taken somewhere around Central City Auckland.

Something that is relatively interesting about the Sport Coupe is that it has the continental kit, EZI glass, bumper guards, grille bar, spotlight-mirror,another year (circa 1958?) hubcaps and it's RHD!

It would be fascinating to learn more about it if anyone out there (old enough, or knew someone who would know....) could tell us more....

Name:  12189595_10205160548080468_2198338014762083392_n.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  63.6 KB

Fiat Bambina

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Mine had a 650cc Nardi conversion that went quite well. It would keep up with my mate's Mk 1 Zephyr up to 40 mph.
    My Bambina with 650cc Nardi engine would do 93mph. Lots of fun. Had 10" Mini Cooper rims on the front and widend 12' rims on the back

I found this over the weekend. Not sure if its been posted here before but its a highly modified Anglia that just looks cool!
    Its powered by a 2.5 litre supercharged Volvo engine.
    http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/...t-ford-anglia/

World Champion
    Ivan Mauger

Thats ^^ just awesome Bryan!

Quote Originally Posted by Growler View Post
    I found this over the weekend. Not sure if its been posted here before but its a highly modified Anglia that just looks cool!
    Its powered by a 2.5 litre supercharged Volvo engine.
    http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/...t-ford-anglia/

Thats got to be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pickford View Post
    My Bambina with 650cc Nardi engine would do 93mph. Lots of fun. Had 10" Mini Cooper rims on the front and widend 12' rims on the back
    Do you have pics Keith?

Semi-Pro Racer
    The bike in the background in Post 230 is interesting.
    In 1970 two Americans, George Wenn and Ray Bokelman stated that if Ivan won his third consecutive World Final they would have his bike gold plated. Ivan won and, true to their word, the bike was taken back to the USA and gold plated. It is now known as the "Triple Crown Special" and is displayed in the Canterbury Museum.

Wasn't the bike displayed at Tom Wheatcroft's Donington museum at one stage? I seem to remember it from way back on one of my many visits.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quite right ERC. It was displayed at several "testimonial" speedway events in the UK in the Eighties and Nineties then spent some time at Donington before coming to NZ in the Norties. It came here originally to promote the World Long Track champs in New Plymouth in around 2004. Gary Moore ( a motorsport enthusiast and ex mayor of Christchurch) was in Hawkes Bay to attend the Te Onepu hillclimb as was Graeme Sutton from New Plymouth. Gary expressed a keen desire to get the bike back to Christchurch and on display and Graeme used his contacts with Ivan to make it happen.

Couple of shots I found of the first Sydenham Park Car Sale Southern 200. Can't remember the year........about 1980 ?

1955 Economy Run Wellington to Auckland

I found these wonderful old photos on a local site that would interest many people - great old cars that are very new looking in these shots.

Name:  Economy-Run-Wakefield-St-We.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  179.5 KB

Name:  Economy-Run-cars-Wellington.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  181.2 KB

Snow White and the Seven Minis

These people were evidently in a theatre production showing at the time. Great period photos of Minis at Dominion Motors, all on the old style rego plates.

Name:  Snow-White-and-7-Minis.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  158.8 KB

World Champion
    Cockpit view - X-1
    Last edited by bry3500; 11-10-2015 at 11:29 AM.